• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routes where the slow train is a better option than the fast train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecian 1998

(Mods I wasn't sure if this is the right section - sorry and please move if appropriate.)

After reading that XC HSTs will gone soon, I was mulling over the fact that there are now two routes out of Bristol where I may favour a slow train over a fast service.

From Bristol - Cardiff, the options each hour are typically a 166 and or 165 on the Portsmouth service and a Castle HST or a 800 on the Taunton / Penzance service. The Portsmouth train is the faster service as it doesn't usually call at Patchway or Severn Tunnel Junction. However, the Taunton service is usually far more comfortable - 2+2 seating over 2+ 3 - and usually has far more free seats. 158s might be used which are far more comfortable than 166s but even then the legroom is significantly poorer than on the Taunton services. The journey time difference is also very minor. I therefore invariably favour the Taunton service. Talking to colleagues who commute from Wales to Bristol, I've noticed they seem to take the same view.

For Bristol - Exeter, XC services are typically 20 minutes faster than GWR stopping services running through to Exeter and points beyond. However, if there is a 4 coach 220 followed by GWR Castle HST or 800, I will likely wait for the latter - far less likely to be overcrowded. I have no dislike of the Voyagers except for the overcrowding, so I'd always get the XC service if worked by a double set - a 5 coach 221 is borderline. Admittedly in this instance, neither service is hourly so it also depends on what's running at any time.

Are there any other examples of routes where unless time is absolutely critical, the slower train is likely to be a more pleasant experience? Obviously this is somewhat subjective, but I'd assume there's not much argument that 2+2 seating is better than 2+3 seating, and sitting beats being crush loaded.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I usually use slower LNR services to/from Bletchley because they aren't full of Birmingham passengers. The morning peak ones that start at Bletchley are better still.

devon_belle

If we're counting London Underground, I will often get off the Piccadilly line at Acton Town and take the stopping eastbound District Line to take advantage of the air conditioning!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
A couple of ones I tend to use are:

1) The LMR/LNWR stopper from Crewe to Euston, which is run by reasonably competent operators. Its slower than Avanti, but the latter are unreliable and far more expensive.

2) Northern (reasonably reliable) rather than Trans-Pennine (allegedly faster, but prone to random cancellation due to the complete incompetence of the management team at the latter) between Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds/York.

JD2168

A couple of ones I tend to use are:

1) The LMR/LNWR stopper from Crewe to Euston, which is run by reasonably competent operators. Its slower than Avanti, but the latter are unreliable and far more expensive.

2) Northern (reasonably reliable) rather than Trans-Pennine (allegedly faster, but prone to random cancellation due to the complete incompetence of the management team at the latter) between Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds/York.
The same with Northern also applies between Sheffield & Manchester.

The Northern semi fast between Sheffield & Leeds via Barnsley is very useful as the Cross Country service can be very full & late at times.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Birmingham to London Chiltern loco hauled better than a Pendolino.

miklcct

On Moderation
Slough - London Paddington

Reason: 345 vs 387 - the 345 is a much nicer train than the 387.

Egg Centric

West Anglia route to Cambridge (v Great Northern)

Late evening at weekends the Overground is more civilised to Watford from Euston than the West Midlands service

Outer reaches of the Met much nicer on S Stock than Chiltern DMU

gg1

Established Member
5-10 years ago I used to travel between Brum and Manchester semi-regularly (once every 6 weeks or so on average). On the way there I always chose a London Midland 350 to Crewe where I would change onto a Virgin Pendo to Manchester. Journey time was around 20 minutes longer than the direct Cross Country service but it was well worth it to avoid a crowded Voyager.

Unfortunately the connections on the return journey were less convenient, travelling via a Virgin/LM combo added around 45 minutes IIRC, TFW/LM only added around 20 minutes but the TFW services were just as rammed as the Voyagers.

EDIT - If I was doing the same journey now the same principle would still apply, though the 'slow' option is now only 9 minutes slower and entirely on Avanti services:
Cross country direct - dep xx:01 arr xx:29 1h 28m
Avanti changing at Stafford - dep xx:07 arr xx:44 1h 37m

Last edited:

Peter0124

Established Member
Newton to Glasgow Central. Slower train (only slower by 5-10 minutes) is via Cathcart Circle and usually a 380. Faster train is via Rutherglen and 318/320 stock. Also busier as the slow train starts at Newton.

xotGD

Established Member
Carlisle to Lancaster via the Cumbrian Coast behind a 37 was certainly a superior journey option to a Pendo on the WCML.

duncanp

Established Member
I have taken the stopping train between Shrewsbury and Birmingham before, as it starts at Shrewsbury so you can get on in plenty of time and get a seat.

Whereas the Transport for Wales service, particularly if it is only two carriages long and/or running late, can be very busy.

Usually the TfW service is timed to leave shortly before the stopping train. But on some occasions if th TfW service is really late, the stopping train will depart first, which means that the TfW service is stuck behind it all the way to Wolverhampton.

HarryF

I’ve taken a Glasgow to Edinburgh via Airdrie train rather than the Falkirk route for a quieter journey. Are non-UK journeys allowed? If so, Rotterdam to Amsterdam on the NS Intercity direct rather than the Thalys. The former is cheaper and more frequent.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I usually travel from Charlbury to the West Midlands via Worcester rather than Oxford. Slower, but I can get some work done on the train. Via Oxford means a Voyager, and the seat back tables are too small for a laptop - if you can get a seat at all, that is.

Established Member
Crewe-Euston, unless a 350/2 turns up.

Tickets are far, far cheaper and less restrictive. It's not all that much slower really either. Plus plenty of Avanti trains arrive into Crewe busy already, whereas all the 350s start from Crewe so go ahead and take your pick of the best seats.

No overpriced onboard catering to be tempted by either, so take on a meal deal and a some liquid refreshment and you're sorted! Plus some people feel ill with the tilting on Pendolino trains, not an issue on the 350s.

miklcct

On Moderation
Also, Thameslink for West Hampstead to London Bridge is a much nicer experience on its spacious 700 trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.