• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routes with most recent station closures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigman

There are 3 stations that closed on the Hallam Line between Leeds and Sheffield since 1990. These were Altofts (1990), Brightside (1995) and Attercliffe Road (1995). Are there any other routes with so many ‘recent’ closures?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sjm77

I think Meadowhall railway station partially replaced Brightside (at least officially if not in practice). The only other example that I can think of are the stations around Stoke on Trent, namely Wedgwood, Barlaston & Etruria.

peters

On Moderation
What about stations that were on the Oldham to Manchester railway line?

Or if you're only interested in stations on lines which remain train lines, what about Allerton and Garston stations, which closed in the mid 00s to be replaced by Liverpool South Parkway interchange?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Folkestone Harbour and Dover Western Docks. Yes I know the lines closed as well, but they were very much a part of the South Eastern main line system.

Pendleton in Manchester lasted into the 90's I think.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Elsham and Brocklesby, on the line between Scunthorpe and Grimsby, both closed in 1993.

Sprinter107

Smethwick West closed 1996 (1 train each way once a week 1995 - 1996). Replaced by Galton Bridge.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Or if you're only interested in stations on lines which remain train lines, what about Allerton and Garston stations, which closed in the mid 00s to be replaced by Liverpool South Parkway interchange?
Liverpool South Parkway is an odd one. The high-level platforms were simply a rebuild and renaming of Allerton on pretty much the same site. The low level platforms did actually move a couple of hundred yards!

steamybrian

Established Member
Folkestone Harbour and Dover Western Docks. Yes I know the lines closed as well, but they were very much a part of the South Eastern main line system.
Between Folkestone and Dover also add in Shakespeare Staff Halt which closed in the 1990s after completion of the Channel Tunnel.

unlevel42

I think Meadowhall railway station partially replaced Brightside (at least officially if not in practice). The only other example that I can think of are the stations around Stoke on Trent, namely Wedgwood, Barlaston & Etruria.
Brightside and Meadowhall co-existed for a time even after p3 and p4 (to/from Barnsley and the route of the Brightside stopper)were opened at Meadowhall. As there was very poor access from Meadowhall station to the nearby community some objection was raised to the closure of very limited services at Brightside. Access was later provided.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
The North London line was chopped east of Stratford in 2006. Part of the line was taken over by the DLR, part will be take over by Crossrail (including a new Custom House station) but 2 stations will stay closed, Silvertown and North Woolwich
The Thameslink NR platforms at Barbican and Moorgate closed in 2009

SargeNpton

Established Member
Wedgwood and Barlaston are not actually closed, just that trains do not call at them. Rail passengers with tickets to/from those stations are conveyed on local buses. The same was also true of Norton Bridge until it was finally closed a year or two back.

Wedgwood and Barlaston are not actually closed, just that trains do not call at them. Rail passengers with tickets to/from those stations are conveyed on local buses. The same was also true of Norton Bridge until it was finally closed a year or two back.
Well on the same line Etruria 2005 and Norton Bridge 2018, and one of Wedgwood and Barlaston is likely to close too - 2/3

backontrack

Established Member
Norton Bridge too.

This is going back a bit, but there's Gogarth, Abertafol, Llangelynin, and Black Rock on the Cambrian Coast Line.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

While Garston could be considered a closure (the old platforms are I think still visible), I would call Allerton a renaming, the platforms are in exactly the same location.

xotGD

Established Member
Brockley Whins, East Boldon and Seaburn. Just the latest batch of stations in the north east to 'close' to heavy rail operations. Gateshead did close completely to be replaced by a new Metro station, but that is going back a bit.

JBuchananGB

Holborn Viaduct closed in 1990, replaced by City Thameslink. Shoreditch (East London Line) closed in 2006 services diverted to Shoreditch High Street which opened in 2010.

Charing Cross (Jubilee Line) opened 1979 closed 1999. Still served by ECS movements. I visited there about 4 years ago, and indeed a train came in waited and went out again!

Last edited:

SargeNpton

Established Member
Abercynon North in 2008. The temporary station at Workington North around 2010. Angel Road in 2019.

DH1Commuter

The Sinfins, finally decreed dead after a period of taxi service in the late 90s. Line still in use for aviation fuel to the RR works.

Only two stations on the same line, however, so does not match the OP.

D365

Veteran Member
Brightside and Meadowhall co-existed for a time even after p3 and p4 (to/from Barnsley and the route of the Brightside stopper)were opened at Meadowhall. As there was very poor access from Meadowhall station to the nearby community some objection was raised to the closure of very limited services at Brightside. Access was later provided.
What sort of access was provided to remedy this?

PeterC

Established Member
Has anything closed later than Angel Road (May 2019)?

unlevel42

What sort of access was provided to remedy this?
There was originally no path between the overbridge between platform 3/4 and Tyler Street B6082.
It was mostly used by the more mobile and a short muddy steep track with a 3 foot jump down onto the overbridge abutment evolved.
It was used mostly to get to Meadowhall. The blind corner and speeding cars made the crossing of Tyler Street dangerous and fences were put up to block the natives, this didn't last and a temporary then permanent path and a pedestrian crossing built.
Some genuine Roman artefacts were found and some would say that the crossing is the junction of the Roman Roads that ran along Wincobank (Welsh: Gwyn Coed )and on to 1.Templeborough and 2. Kimberworth then on to Doncaster

topydre

3 stations closed on the Cambrian Coast line between 1985 and 1991 (Gogarth, Abertafol, Llangelynin). Though not sure whether the 1980s would fit the OP's definition of "recent"

steamybrian

Established Member
If we include Tram replacement routes then I mention the following closed in 1997 for Croydon Tramlink.
Elmers End to Addiscombe and West Croydon to Wimbledon via Mitcham

Status
Not open for further replies.