Routing options Waltham Cross to Bath

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Going South, 26 May 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Going South

Going South Member

I'm planning on getting a Super-off peak return ticket from Waltham Cross to either Castle Cary or Bath. I have Y-P railcard. Advance tickets are not suitable because I am not sure what day my return journey will be, but I can be flexible on times.
    First of all, Castle Cary is often more convenient for me than Bath Spa, but I can't be sure which I'm better off with until the last moment, and the return may not be the same as the outward journey. I know a Castle Cary ticket is valid via Bath Spa, but is a Bath Spa ticket valid via Castle Cary?
    WLC to BTH (YP Super OP) £36.75
    WLC to CLC (YP Super OP) £40.05

If travelling to/from CLC I would take direct trains from Paddington and not go into Bath.

Secondly, what are the time restrictions on this/these tickets - I can't seem to find a definition of Super off peak on the FGW site.

Thanks in advance

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. b0b

b0b Established Member

I don't think you can go to Bath Spa via Castle Cary without a double-back through Westbury, so that means the ticket is not valid.

Usual advice applies, get a return ticket to the station you're traveling to. If it ends up you travel from Bath but want from come back to Castle Cary, excess the return portion (before you board!), which should be half the difference, or £1.65.

Last edited: 27 May 2010
  4. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

SSR Waltham Cross - Bath Spa takes Restriction XC.
    SSR Waltham Cross - Castle Cary takes Restriction WJ.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Westbury and Frome both have avoiding lines. But the conclusion is correct - to reach Castle Cary you need to double back thorough Bruton, so a Waltham Cross - Bath ticket is not valid.

5. Going South

Going South Member

Thank you, both

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.