• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rover validity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi all,

A few months back I did a Freedom Of North West rover. According to the National Rail and Northern websites, these are valid after 08:45. However, at Leeds when I tried to buy mine at about 08:55, the ticket office staff said they were valid after 09:30, and they wouldn't sell me one until after then (there was a sign next to the ticket window saying "Rover tickets are only valid after 09:30"). This didn't matter to me as my first train wasn't until 09:36, and indeed on other days when I started before 09:30 (but after 08:45) the ticket was accepted as valid by train crew. However, later this month I will be doing a South Pennines Day Ranger, starting at Manchester Piccadilly. Are these valid after 08:45, or after 09:30? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Freedom of North West valid after 08.45

South Pennines Day Ranger valid after 08.45

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The FONW 4/8 ticket is valid after 0845: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr0a8889c35ce74100b70b85ba4af335/details.html

The South Pennine Day Ranger is valid after 0845 too: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pra5d5c70a040002003ffec51cbc6f81/details.html

That's M-F only, both tickets are valid all day Saturday / Sunday and Bank Holidays.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hang on, can a booking office refuse to sell you a rover when it is outside of validity hours?

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hang on, can a booking office refuse to sell you a rover when it is outside of validity hours?
Not legitimately, but what is anyone able to do to stop them? ATOC don't care (ATOC is the TOCs "working together") and the DfT will just say it's an issue for ATOC. Fortunately, East Coast are generally very good and I have no such problems at York station, but many people tell me it's not uncommon to experience such problems elsewhere.

Am I surprised at this? Not in the slightest.

Nevertheless, the OP should write to Northern. I'd be very interested in their response.

nedchester

Established Member
Also aren't all rovers valid at Leeds valid from 0845 so basically the ticket office completely wrong.

I am sure that you will get a sympathetic hearing from Northern (who promote these tickets).

theblackwatch

Established Member
Also aren't all rovers valid at Leeds valid from 0845 so basically the ticket office completely wrong.

I am sure that you will get a sympathetic hearing from Northern (who promote these tickets).

I think the only rover that isn't is the West Yorkshire Day Rover (which some peopleprobably find has a confusing name, as generally nowadays, it seems one day tickets are given the 'ranger' name).

bnm

Established Member
Indeed, @northernrailorg have been having a bit of a nightmare day on Twitter.

Not a fan of the orchestrated campaign against them but they haven't really helped themselves with some of the responses.

And I wonder if the typo in one of the tweets to Tom Cairns was deliberate? Calling him Swines.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Indeed, @northernrailorg have been having a bit of a nightmare day on Twitter.

Not a fan of the orchestrated campaign against them but they haven't really helped themselves with some of the responses.

Some of their responses have been totally out of order, to be fair.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think these tweets do them any favours :
Northern Rail on Twitter said:
"Stop trying to critisize me doing my job"
"that language is unaccepyable"
"Rome wasnt built in a day. "
"What on earth are you doing"
"Yes Im working class! "
"Take teh tickets back to where you purchased them, there may have a refund value. "
And I wonder if the typo in one of the tweets to Tom Cairns was deliberate? Calling him Swines.

I doubt the spelling aimed at Tom was deliberate, he refers to "Angle Trains" for example.

There are leaflets on all the rovers & rangers that cover the Northern area available at the booking office in Leeds & most have a 0845 start time, including the Northwest.

Also, check the Northern website.

Welshman

Established Member
A year or so ago I bought a North Country Rover at Hebden Bridge when I arrived at the station about 8am.
The gentleman in the booking-office politely reminded me it was not valid for travel before 0845, but was happy to sell me the ticket.

As Theblackwatch says, perhaps the folks at Leeds were thinking about the West Yorkshire Metro Day Rover, which is not valid until 0930.

I am aiming to buy a Lancashire/ Northwest 1 day or 4/8 ranger.
The train leaves at 0844 from Blackpool South.
Would I have pay for a single to Pleasure Beach / Walk to Pleasure Beach? Would the guard just charge me for a Ranger ticket from South.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You would either have to buy a SDS at £1.40 South-Pleasure Beach or you could indeed walk. If you get a nice guard they may (but shouldn't) waive the one minute invalidity.

wintonian

Established Member
I don't think these tweets do them any favours :

and those were from a customer service employee? :roll:

Hmm yes not very professional, it seems they have picked "Oh dear" as thier phrase of the day.

Attachments

• northern.JPG
    northern.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 20
  • northern1.JPG
    northern1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 20
  • northern2.JPG
    northern2.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Status