• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Mail Post by Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What do they do in winter? Tell the residents they have to wait until the summer? Haha

I wouldn't expect a massive amount of mail. Of course once there how do they securely get it to each Island?

Here is the Royal Mail on the Cumbrae ferry:

Largs by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

In an alternative world the mail vans get tripped up from Glasgow to Largs and loaded into Vans for the final trip to Cumbrae ;)

PS sorry for turning this into FerryUK Forum

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sbt

Interesting video but I was put off my the annoying music. Nothing wrong with the music on its own but it doesn't in my opinion suit the video

I had the same reaction and have tweeted to Public Service Broadcasting suggesting that they might like to improve upon the soundtrack.

For those that are unsure of the reason why:

(and many other tracks of widely varying nature)

wtom

Would I be right in thinking that the 325s never actually use their third-rail ability any more- even on occasion? If not, when would they last have run on 750v- would it be 2003?

If it is the case that they no longer run on third rail, have they had the shoes removed, or are they still there but just never used for anything?

driver9000

Established Member
Would I be right in thinking that the 325s never actually use their third-rail ability any more- even on occasion? If not, when would they last have run on 750v- would it be 2003?

If it is the case that they no longer run on third rail, have they had the shoes removed, or are they still there but just never used for anything?

Some have shoe gear others don't but I don't think they run on DC now.

higthomas

Mail is definitely transported by ferry to the Isle of Wight, I was parked next to a large Royal Mail lorry on the Yarmouth to lymington service last time I was there.

When I was on the passenger hovercraft a few weeks ago, the small luggage compartment was full of about 4 trolleys full of mail along with a postie.* Seemed a slightly surprising sight, but I guess they've got to use all means.

*Was heading Portsmouth bound at about 3pm on a Saturday.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
As someone who works at PRDC (Willesden), I can offer the following insights:

Royal Mail are increasingly moving away from conveying mail by anything other than trucks. This is nothing to do with engineering works; it's purely down to cost (track access charges too high?). The rail hub had 7 platforms when built, but four of these (and the ‘roads’ between them are covered-over and the space is now utilised for mail processing. Indeed, a building-within-a-building was constructed, with staff shielded from the wind and rain that would otherwise give intolerable working conditions in winter.

When the WCML was flooded near Carlisle a couple of years back, the 325s ran via Camden Road and the ECML for more than a few weeks. Obviously, the third-rail shoes weren’t needed, as it’s all ‘under the wires’ going that way. But it implies drivers do have full route knowledge!

There is a still a sign near the slip road entrance that mentions Railnet. I’ll try to take a photo and upload it, if anyone is interested.

You can see a lot of ‘runs as required’ paths, in addition to the ones actually used, by going on realtimetrains and inputting XRN as the station / location !

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Maybe an opportunity to speed up the service from the Scilly's, and make it less weather dependent when the helicopter link is reintroduced next year?
There's a helicopter link right now! It got in ahead of the other proposed link that's been discussed for years and, imo, is by no means certain to go ahead. Internecine warfare, Scilly style.

Kneedown

Established Member
There's a helicopter link right now! It got in ahead of the other proposed link that's been discussed for years and, imo, is by no means certain to go ahead. Internecine warfare, Scilly style.

Current service from Lands End Airport provided by IOSSSC who currently have a monopoly on travel to the islands, but planning permission unanimously granted last week for a new Penzance Heliport and a little competition, which will be less affected by weather, and directly serving Tresco as well as St Mary's.
So it's actually looking quite good.

Last edited:

RLBH

Maybe an opportunity to speed up the service from the Scilly's, and make it less weather dependent when the helicopter link is reintroduced next year?
'Helicopter' and 'less weather dependent' are not generally seen together.

furnessvale

Established Member
As someone who works at PRDC (Willesden), I can offer the following insights:

Royal Mail are increasingly moving away from conveying mail by anything other than trucks. This is nothing to do with engineering works; it's purely down to cost (track access charges too high?).
Indeed a combination of excise duty on fuel and VED on HGVs being frozen for the last 18 years, which taxes are effectively the track access charges for HGVs.

Yet track access charges for rail freight increase by inflation+ annually and it is nothing short of a miracle that ANY freight moves by rail.

furnessvale

Established Member
VED on HGVs is the major issue, IMHO - it's been kept low pretty much since its' introduction to encourage road freight.
Gordon Brown bottled it years ago when faced with road haulage strikes and things have never recovered.

al78

Established Member

I would have thought that helicopters would be more likely to operate in the sort of severe weather we get in the UK. Helicopters have been used for rescue at sea in severe gales in which ferries would not run.

Kneedown

Established Member

The current fixed wing service, while excellent with smiling staff and none of the ritual humiliations encountered at larger airports, is very hit and miss due to frequent fog. Last time we went we were highly fortunate in that all flights were cancelled for days before and after we went. The Scillonian is also often confined to port. Helicopters these days fare much better in adverse conditions, which will provide a more robust link to the islands.

RLBH

Helicopters have been used for rescue at sea in severe gales in which ferries would not run.
You can do things in emergencies - and anything requiring a SAR helicopter counts as an emergency - that wouldn't be acceptable in passenger service.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
*Although interestingly the 325s do have a PA system, which the original Adtranz Operating Manual suggests should be used to ressassure anyone trapped on board while the train is moving and instruct them not to try to open the roller shutter doors. There isn’t a passcomm but there is a motion detector system which was intended to detect a person on board the train (accidentally or intentionally) after the doors are shut. In practice it is far, far better at detecting wobbling York trollies, which is why almost every class 325 you see moving will have the blue hazard lights illuminated showing that the motion detector system has been triggered.

Does that mean there's an announcement made every time motion is detected, telling people not to worry?

Northern line trains going round the Kennington loop often have an announcement that if anyone's still on board they'll be back in the station imminently and they needn't pull any handles

Highlandspring

Established Member
Does that mean there's an announcement made every time motion is detected, telling people not to worry?

Northern line trains going round the Kennington loop often have an announcement that if anyone's still on board they'll be back in the station imminently and they needn't pull any handles
No, it’s a manual system. By September 1996 a Traction Bulletin had been issued instructing drivers that the personnel detection system was not to be relied upon and that previous instructions regarding making announcments did not need to be carried out.

diffident

Current service from Lands End Airport provided by IOSSSC who currently have a monopoly on travel to the islands, but planning permission unanimously granted last week for a new Penzance Heliport and a little competition, which will be less affected by weather, and directly serving Tresco as well as St Mary's.
So it's actually looking quite good.

The "Mali Rose" is a cargo vessel that operates all year on daily trips from Penzance to the Scilly Isles - which carries mail in addition to the Scillonian III and also deputising for it in the winter months when the Scillonian III undergoes its annual break of service.

It replaced the Gry Maritha last year, which had served in that role for the previous 26 years.

Kneedown

Established Member
I would have thought that helicopters would be more likely to operate in the sort of severe weather we get in the UK. Helicopters have been used for rescue at sea in severe gales in which ferries would not run.

And also on the frequent, daily flights to the oil and gas platforms in the North Sea, where the weather is often less than hospitable.

Geoff DC

"The "Mali Rose" replaced the Gry Maritha last year"

The Mali Rose was bought to replace the Gry Maritha but turned out to be unfit to run the service & no-one in Penzance will sail on her either - heads are rolling due to the money lost/wasted.

The Gry Maritha 'Grim Reaper' has been an admirable performer in often severe Atlantic weather

K.o.R

They probably fly it to the orkneys to be fair but the only planes flying to the Scillies are tiny and the ferry sails every day during to summer.

Mail is definitely transported by ferry to the Isle of Wight, I was parked next to a large Royal Mail lorry on the Yarmouth to lymington service last time I was there.

Also by the hovercraft from Portsmouth to Ryde.

diffident

"The "Mali Rose" replaced the Gry Maritha last year"

The Mali Rose was bought to replace the Gry Maritha but turned out to be unfit to run the service & no-one in Penzance will sail on her either - heads are rolling due to the money lost/wasted.

The Gry Maritha 'Grim Reaper' has been an admirable performer in often severe Atlantic weather

Is that right? I wasn't aware of that! The Gry has indeed been a right hardy vessel!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a reminder this thread is about Royal Mail post by train.

Discussion of other modes is very welcome but please create a thread in the appropriate forum and feel free to post a link here.

Thanks
:)

Carlisle

Established Member
Didn’t they only ever have one regular 3rd rail working which was Tonbridge , which as you say finished when all the other TPOs were axed.

Status
Not open for further replies.