• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Welsh Show 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

animationmilo

Does anyone know if TFW will run a special train between Cardiff and Builth Road for Royal Welsh Show 2022 this year?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

animationmilo

Does anyone know seeing as its 2 weeks time if TFW are putting on any extra trains for Royal Welsh Show or just more carriages on the current timetable for the 4 days

sd0733

Established Member
There's one planned I believe 0630ish from Cardiff, around 1830 back

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Does anyone know seeing as its 2 weeks time if TFW are putting on any extra trains for Royal Welsh Show or just more carriages on the current timetable for the 4 days

Maybe give TfW a tweet or mail, they are the ones who will know for sure.

Jez

Established Member
Be interesting to see where they are going to find the units to run the Royal Welsh train plus strengthen the regular HOW trains from 1 carriage to (I think) 3 carriages. I'm sure the Royal Welsh from Cardiff is usually 4 carriages and has been worked by a pair of 150s in the past.

animationmilo

Be interesting to see where they are going to find the units to run the Royal Welsh train plus strengthen the regular HOW trains from 1 carriage to (I think) 3 carriages. I'm sure the Royal Welsh from Cardiff is usually 4 carriages and has been worked by a pair of 150s in the past.
Yes, it will be interesting to see where they get the extra stock from with 150242 and 150279 out of action its causing problems
Heart of wales does have 150256 and 150259 working the line today. Maybe they'll just ditch the 153s for other places and use single 150s on everything in show week

Jez

Established Member
Yes, it will be interesting to see where they get the extra stock from with 150242 and 150279 out of action its causing problems
Heart of wales does have 150256 and 150259 working the line today. Maybe they'll just ditch the 153s for other places and use single 150s on everything in show week
Will a single 150 be enough capacity during Royal Welsh week? The problem is the 150s are needed for the Cardiff local routes.

I noticed a 150 at Landore as well (along with the former Northern 153s) no idea of the number but is that another one out of service?

animationmilo

Will a single 150 be enough capacity during Royal Welsh week? The problem is the 150s are needed for the Cardiff local routes.

I noticed a 150 at Landore as well (along with the former Northern 153s) no idea of the number but is that another one out of service?
150242 & 150279 are both out of service due to that incident at Craven Arms on 22 May involving the mini digger
They have only just been moved by road Craven Arms to Landore

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Would ANYONE in their right mind rely on the regular services on the HoW line currently to get them to the show? Even if all the timetabled trains run, the service is abysmal, but from glancing at RTT there are regular cancellations to even this skeleton service. Last Thursday was a particularly miserable day for anyone relying on the trains. It's one thing when you have a cancellation to a clockface hourly service, but when it's only 3 or 4 trains a day ...
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the HoWL prosper, but since Covid hit I suspect next to nobody relies on the current service, except perhaps school kids.

Jez

Established Member
150242 & 150279 are both out of service due to that incident at Craven Arms on 22 May involving the mini digger
They have only just been moved by road Craven Arms to Landore
Thanks. I hadn't realised they had moved. Last I heard they were still at Craven Arms.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
These services provide an opportunity to do the Gravesend Colliery Loop Jn-Hendy Jn curve, which has no scheduled passenger service.

Parallel

Established Member
I’ve used this special service before between Port Talbot and Ffairfach out of curiosity and a 3-car 175 ran that particular service. I think 150s/153s ran the remainder of the week though. I wonder if a 175 will turn up this time if TfW are short of 150s, or perhaps a triple 153 is on the cards.

Anonymous10

Established Member
I’ve used this special service before between Port Talbot and Ffairfach out of curiosity and a 3-car 175 ran that particular service. I think 150s/153s ran the remainder of the week though. I wonder if a 175 will turn up this time if TfW are short of 150s, or perhaps a triple 153 is on the cards.
triple 153 i would expect

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
With respect to those travelling to the show, I’d far prefer a triple 153 to be used than waste a 3-175 that could have been used on the timetabled long distance services.

It’s like when I saw a 175 leave for Ebbw Vale, just as a packed 150 arrived in from Holyhead.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Anyone car to guess the numbers of track bashers and agricultural show enthusiasts who will be on board?

Anonymous10

Established Member
With respect to those travelling to the show, I’d far prefer a triple 153 to be used than waste a 3-175 that could have been used on the timetabled long distance services.

It’s like when I saw a 175 leave for Ebbw Vale, just as a packed 150 arrived in from Holyhead.
issue is what stock was available in Holyhead

krus_aragon

Established Member
More bashers I'd guess, as Builth Road Station is not near the showground!
There's a free bus from the station to the showground, though.

My past experience (~10 years ago now!) is that it was lightly used from Cardiff, but steadily filled up station by station, especially as we got closer to Builth. I forget whether my train was 3 or 4-car, but it was standing room only by the time we arrived. No obvious sign of bashers piling on for or disembarking after the curve, though.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
If anyone is travelling on these trains, a report on passenger numbers etc would be welcome. It's good to see FFW are making the effort.

Com166

The Fishguard train to cardiff at lunchtime goes vis Swansea district line missing out Swansea

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Fishguard train to cardiff at lunchtime goes vis Swansea district line missing out Swansea
Yes, but that still leaves the curve onto the HoWL which is exceptionally rare track.

animationmilo

The show train might not be as busy on Mon and Tuesday, TFW advice#;
Essential travel only for 18 and 19 July
⚠️

We’re advising customers in Wales to only make essential journeys, and customers in the Borders region not to travel on 18 and 19 July due to extreme weather.

Jez

Established Member

I think the booked 175 working to Ebbw Vale and back is just making use of the set rather than sit in Canton doing nothing. I think there is a West Wales to Manchester that terminates in Cardiff around 11am and replaced by another 175 I assume so they are in the right places at night. The Cardiff arrival then forms a service to Ebbw Vale later on.

Well there should be plenty of available units tomorrow with so many cancellations in the North so I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3 car 175 on the Builth Road special.

Anonymous10

Established Member
I think the booked 175 working to Ebbw Vale and back is just making use of the set rather than sit in Canton doing nothing. I think there is a West Wales to Manchester that terminates in Cardiff around 11am and replaced by another 175 I assume so they are in the right places at night. The Cardiff arrival then forms a service to Ebbw Vale later on.

Well there should be plenty of available units tomorrow with so many cancellations in the North so I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3 car 175 on the Builth Road special.
all depends if the units are stuck up north

Status
Not open for further replies.