• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rubbish Collection Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You obviously never do any DiY work. I can fill a "landfill" bin in an hour of stripping old wallpaper, chiselling loose plaster, removing old shelves, discarding excess bits of coving etc. In fact I have so much at times I make my own trips to the local council depot - I went earlier this week with a half-full 20kg sack of cement that had gone hard, a sack of broken house bricks that I had turned up from my vegtable plot, and about 2 sq meters of plaster board.

Not everyone lives the same lifestyle. Perhaps you get white van men to do that stuff, but the rubbish they take away still ends up in landfill.

I don't need to at the moment - did a full renovation on the house after I bought it; yes mostly on a DIY basis but as has been said, this is stuff that can't go in the bins anyway. No men in white vans either. Our local authority collects nearly everything in recycling - all paper, card, metals, plastics ( yes - ALL plastics ), glass, textiles... just about the only things ever going in the landfill bin are bottles of used cooking oil and dust from the vacuum cleaner.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's good to know that every cloud has a silver lining. ;)
Absolutely. Feel free to pop round for a late night tipple. ;)
(I might fill your pockets up with recycling when you’re not looking though)

PeterC

Established Member
It is getting to the point that if an independent garage replaced eg your car cooling pump, a signal-emitting microchip in the pump would notify the car's central computer. The central computer would then not allow the car to start (or only in limp mode) until it had been re-programmed to accept the new pump. Of course, only a main dealer would have the software to do this, and would charge an independent garage £250 say for the service. Independents would be put out of business.
The independent round the corner from me was happy to service my last, still primarily mechanical, car, with the current one they didn't have the correct diagnostic software so I am back to the main dealer.

baz962

Established Member
I’m a painter and decorator, but I do so many other things because like you say I’ve got the tools, I’m there and I might as well do it if it’s straight forward.

Anyway we’ve strayed quite a way off topic here, so back to rubbish:
I forgot to put my recycling out last night. I’ve now got a massive very full sack of the stuff in the kitchen with no more room for beer cans and a whole week to wait until the next collection.
Going to have to turn to spirits or go to the pub for the next week...

If that was my street , you would be keeping hold of that bin and going to the pub for two weeks , not one.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The independent round the corner from me was happy to service my last, still primarily mechanical, car, with the current one they didn't have the correct diagnostic software so I am back to the main dealer.

You probably don't need it assuming it's not under warranty. Change the oil, do the appropriate mechanical checks, and don't worry about the light being on (or often there's a way to reset it other than using the OBD plug, e.g. turning off and on with a pedal combination pressed).

Status
Not open for further replies.