• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby to Euston season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belly Buster

I need to make 2 returns (peak time VT) RUG to EUS within 7 days.

A standard anytime return is £116 for each journey, so a 7 day season at £166 is an option.

Might I be better getting a 7 day RUG to MKC season at £58 and then 2x MKC-EUS returns at £35 each?

Also what does Travel is allowed by any route option shown by the Journey Planner where the journey can be made using only one ticket mean in slightly more plain English (this wording is used on the season ticket calculator.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I need to make 2 returns (peak time VT) RUG to EUS within 7 days.

A standard anytime return is £116 for each journey, so a 7 day season at £166 is an option.

Might I be better getting a 7 day RUG to MKC season at £58 and then 2x MKC-EUS returns at £35 each?
According to my sums, £58+(2*£35)=£128 so you are better off by £38.

If you make 3 trips, you are only better off by £3.

If you make 4 or more trips, you make a loss.

A season for the whole journey allows unlimited trips (though priced on the assumption you make 5, with weekend travel simply being a bonus!)

Also what does Travel is allowed by any route option shown by the Journey Planner where the journey can be made using only one ticket mean in slightly more plain English (this wording is used on the season ticket calculator.
It's actually determined by the Routeing Guide (RG) but the RG is so complex that they don't attempt to direct you to it, as it would confuse people!

The journey planners should all check the RG to determine if the route you request is permitted or not.

Valid Routes from London Euston [EUS] to Rugby [RUG]:

1. Direct trains are always valid (there are plenty of these from London Euston to Rugby)
  2. The shortest route (and up to 3 miles longer) is always valid (this is either via, or avoiding, Northampton and also via Milton Keynes and Watford Junction)
  3. Mapped Routes:
    LONDON GROUP - Rugby:
    • LM (This permits nothing more than the shortest routes in this particular case)

Belly Buster

I have always (begrudgingly) bought the £116 returns traveling RUG to EUS peak time. But even for just one journey a RUG to MKC season + MKC to EUS return is cheaper. Although it needs a bit more planning, it is a reasonable saving.

Thanks to these forums I understand I can take any train, even if it doesn't stop at MKC (condition 19) - am I right?

And I get to go to Milton Keynes as often as I like for a week ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks to these forums I understand I can take any train, even if it doesn't stop at MKC (condition 19) - am I right?
Correct. Part (c) applies in this case.
Conditions of Carriage said:
19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:

(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);

(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one

ticket to another; or

(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

You must comply with any restriction shown on the tickets relating to travel in the trains of
a particular Train Company or Train Companies (see Condition 10).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

And I get to go to Milton Keynes as often as I like for a week ;)

Yep - that's right. As you have exactly one season ticket and at least one "other" ticket, you'll be fine. This means you can take the fast Virgin trains which do not call at Milton Keynes.

And Milton Keynes is a great place! :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yep - that's right. As you have exactly one season ticket and at least one "other" ticket, you'll be fine. This means you can take the fast Virgin trains which do not call at Milton Keynes.

And Milton Keynes is a great place! :)

Isn't it then a bit daft to price the Rugby - London Terminals SOR at that price? The only purpose I can see is to rip off those who are unaware of the combo, penalise those that buy onboard where there were opportunities to buy beforehand, and PRIV holders.

I know it gives additional validities to people who travel out and back more than 7 days apart and both at peak times. However they can just buy two SOS in that case for the same price.

island

Veteran Member
Well, there are plenty of examples of through tickets which rip off people unaware of the combination!

Belly Buster

Right OK - so I've done the deed - RUG - MKC season + anytime return MKC - EUS purchased.

I jump on the 10:24 at Rugby and boom, all trains are suspended due to http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51266

The train didn't leave Rugby and I need to get to London for a meeting, so I jump in the car and drive to Luton to get to St Pancras.

What options do I have of getting a refund on the unused ticket + season ticket?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You're due a full refund of the unused non-season ticket. Virgin will also compensate a small percentage of your season. You'll need to write to them with a photocopy of your season ticket, and the original of the non-season ticket...

Status
Not open for further replies.