• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I predicted a win for Sale Sharks, so I'm pleased about that victory!

The Pro12 continues to be largely unattractive for me. The Scarlets game v Edinburgh was dire, and not just because of the result! The Blues win at Munster was much more entertaining, and I didn't enjoy what I saw of the Ospreys last night either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Worcester Warriors 34...Sale Sharks 34

In a match of much in the way of incidents, Worcester were leading 31-17 after 52 minutes but Sale persevered throughout the remainder of the second half and actually finally outscored Worcester by five tries to four.

richw

Veteran Member
Down here in Cornwall they are trialling a new league format to increase games in the bottom two leagues. They have merged the two leagues for the first half of the season playing each team once, then at Christmas they are splitting into top half and bottom half with the teams playing their half home and away.
This was done in response to the lack of games last season as the bottom two leagues consisted of 6-7 teams. It looks like the format may back fire as two of the bigger teams have received large points deductions (fielding illegible players). My team despite having lost all our games are mid table due to the other teams receiving deductions. This will cause major disparity in the teams in the bottom league especially. It was hoped when it splits the even teams would be together. The bigger teams are beating the lower teams by 60-70 points .

richw

Veteran Member
To simplify, Think Scottish football premier league. 15 teams play each other once. Then split into top and bottom half to form two mini leagues and play those teams in their half twice more. In theory Putting the best 8, and weakest 7 together in the second phase.
It's increased games from 10 to 26. The lower mini league is going to be distorted due to point deductions though

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 34...Leicester 30

Sale scored 34 points for the second week in a row in this match where they outscored Leicester by four tries to three. It was a high scoring first half, that Sale just edged 24-20. Sale now are in fifth place in the league.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
A good win for Sale. I'll be watching the Aviva highlights on ITV tonight. Luckily I've managed to avoid nearly all of the Pro12 this weekend!

richw

Veteran Member
I refereed a level 9 game yesterday, the home team captain said in their pre match team runs "this move is illegal but the refs at this level don't realise" . I was stood just within hearing distance doing my own warm up. Needless to say they got penalised when they tried the move!

Lesson to all players out there, think what your saying when the ref is near pre match!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The Pro12 was a little more interesting this past weekend, at least as far as the Welsh derbies were concerned. It's still not a patch on the Aviva. though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The first European matches of the season produced some interesting results. I didn't see Exeter's thrashing coming, but I did predict a win for Saracens. The French teams haven't done so well overall.

Two friends of mine went to see Scarlets v Sale Sharks, and said that it was a poor game, but that Scarlets were a little less poor than Sale. They were very impressed with Mike Phillips off the field, though. They said he stayed behind for half an hour mingling with the youngsters and signing autographs.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Anglo Welsh Cup

Sale Sharks 17...Wasps 13

On current form, I was concerned that Wasps who had won six out of seven Aviva Premiership games to be in second league place, would prove too strong for Sale, who had the home advantage, but the game saw both sides score two tries but it was Sale who took the better opportunity to score from awarded penalties on the night that saw them through to the win.

JamesT

Established Member
Don't the sides in Anglo-Welsh tend to be very different from the Premiership with all the Internationals away? Looking at Gloucester vs. Saracens, there are 14 debutants across the two teams. Given that, I don't think you can read too much in previous form.

richw

Veteran Member
Don't the sides in Anglo-Welsh tend to be very different from the Premiership with all the Internationals away? Looking at Gloucester vs. Saracens, there are 14 debutants across the two teams. Given that, I don't think you can read too much in previous form.

pool matches have always been traditionally played during international windows, resulting in the pool matches being used for younger players to have competitive matches alongside the non international players. Typical admission prices are lower. Also I'm not sure whether it's all teams but Exeter chiefs have been known to supply a number of tickets free to all of the local clubs in Devon and Cornwall, which the clubs can use as auction, raffle prizes or as seen fit to raise money for the local club. I was a recipient of one such ticket a few years ago as a referee and knew most of the crowd in that area of the stand, as most were players I've refereed in the local leagues!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The Anglo Welsh is regarded as a development tournament by many sides, at least in the early stages anyway.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Anglo Welsh is regarded as a development tournament by many sides, at least in the early stages anyway.

I was wondering if the competitions now prevailing that see the better English clubs not only playing their normal Premiership league matches, plus the involvement in European cup competitions with home and away fixtures, needs yet another a cup competition such as the Anglo-Welsh Cup in addition to the current crop of league and cup fixtures?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think that the demands on senior players are certainly very much in the minds of clubs at this stage of the season.

One of the benefits of central contracts system, here in Wales, at least to my mind, is that the WRU is involved with the management of players' game time. In theory at least, this should help protect leading players from injuries and burn out. Another positive, again in theory, is that it ensures that younger, more inexperienced players get opportunities when senior internationals are not available for their regions.

Of course, this is also said to be detrimental to both crowds and regions performances in the Pro 12, and I do give some credence to such views. It's a balance, and like all such things, it's always going to be arguable whether the balance is right or not.

richw

Veteran Member
I was wondering if the competitions now prevailing that see the better English clubs not only playing their normal Premiership league matches, plus the involvement in European cup competitions with home and away fixtures, needs yet another a cup competition such as the Anglo-Welsh Cup in addition to the current crop of league and cup fixtures?

It's an excellent format to blood young players with the non international first team players. It's popular with the coaches to get proper competitive practice for the youngsters

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 13...Saracens 28

Saracens put on a good 80-minute display of control, outscoring Sale by three tries to one, with two of those tries being breakaway ones. This result sees Saracens back at the top of the Premiership,

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Saracens are a very, very good side. There's no disgrace losing to them, as the Scarlets have found out!

Butts

Veteran Member
After a narrow loss to the Wallabies last week Scotland scraped a 20-19 win against the Pumas on Saturday.

This should keep them in the second tier for the draw for the next world cup.

Clutching at straws :idea:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Wales have hardly set the world alight this Autumn, either. I haven't had much interest in their games, but people who have watched them are not using complimentary language about them at all.

JamesT

Established Member
In the women's game, Scotland lost the first leg of their World Cup 2017 play-off match against Spain 10-5 in Glasgow.
Very frustrating match, Scotland spent large parts of the first half camped in Spain's 22 but couldn't manage to convert the pressure into points. Though Spain also missed out on opportunities to extend their lead, including a forward pass when they had the overlap and the try line beckoned.
Return leg in Madrid on Saturday. First leg was on BBC Alba, hopefully someone will be streaming the second.

Butts

Veteran Member
In the women's game, Scotland lost the first leg of their World Cup 2017 play-off match against Spain 10-5 in Glasgow.
Very frustrating match, Scotland spent large parts of the first half camped in Spain's 22 but couldn't manage to convert the pressure into points. Though Spain also missed out on opportunities to extend their lead, including a forward pass when they had the overlap and the try line beckoned.
Return leg in Madrid on Saturday. First leg was on BBC Alba, hopefully someone will be streaming the second.

I'm almost tempted to ask if Scotland have got a good hooker in the team, but my infraction list is piling up :p

Seriously I'm about as interested in female Rugby as I am in the football version. Fair play to those who enjoy it though.

richw

Veteran Member

I'm almost tempted to ask if Scotland have got a good hooker in the team, but my infraction list is piling up :p

Seriously I'm about as interested in female Rugby as I am in the football version. Fair play to those who enjoy it though.

Spain, the heavy weight in world rugby :oops: :lol:

I refereed a fairly high level ladies game 8 days ago, very enjoyable match to referee. From that game, the ladies from both teams were great attacking but defensively poor. It ended 49-33 and I disallowed two further tries.
I still have little interest to watch ladies matches though

Butts

Veteran Member
Spain, the heavy weight in world rugby :oops: :lol:

I refereed a fairly high level ladies game 8 days ago, very enjoyable match to referee. From that game, the ladies from both teams were great attacking but defensively poor. It ended 49-33 and I disallowed two further tries.
I still have little interest to watch ladies matches though

Did you join them in the bath afterwards ? :p

JamesT

Established Member

The Scotland hooker attempted the conversion of the try, which was a bit of a surprise. :)

I got into it through my other half who plays. I quite often get roped in as a touch judge as they only do neutral referees at her level.

She's previously played for Swindon Supermarine down at Plymouth, I wonder if we got richw as the ref? (I think it was 2 years ago).