• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

richw

Veteran Member
This afternoon I refereed my highest ever scoring game. No conversions, finished 100-85!

It was an under 15 girls match, 30 mins each way.
The passing and offloading was better than anything I've seen in men's rugby. The girls were trying to avoid contact and were showing to text book standard drawing the opposition player and passing before contact. We had very few knock ons etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
It's that time of year again.

The nights are long. The mists are cold and biting. The grass is crisp underfoot.

Spring is on the way. But, prior to the bloom of the snowdrops and before the seasons can change, the colours must be chosen.

Six countries, from across Europe. The nations of thistles, shamrocks, dragons, roses, roosters and the Azzuri.

The nations of Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England, France and Italy.

The Six Nations.

70_rbs_6nations_rugby.jpg

England are getting cocky. They won it last year, they have a strong squad, and they reckon that their coach Eddie Jones has got a master plan. But 2017 might not bring such an easy ride, and injuries may prove a problem. Key players include George Ford, Owen Farrell, Elliot Daly and Mike Brown.

Scotland are improving. They're arriving. They used to be the team who 'lose well'; now they're the team who's got a chance. A slim chance, maybe, but they've still got one; matches against Italy, France and Ireland should be interesting. Greig Laidlaw, Alex Dunbar and Finn Russell will be pivotal in how they fare this year along with main man Stuart Hogg.

Ireland are strong. When they're doing well, they're cruising. However, finishing third last year was a disappointment, so they will be hungry for more. At their best they are rampant, but they also have injury concerns. If they are to win this year, then expect Jonathan Sexton, Jamie Heaslip, and Robbie Henshaw to be part of the picture.

France are a puzzle. They are the great underachievers of the Six Nations, capable of both pulling off upsets and losing dramatically. Last year, they finished fifth. And, their best player Wesley Fofana is injured and out of the squad. Despite this, they still have a strong team and could be the year's surprise package. Louis Picamoles, Baptiste Serin and Guilhelm Guirado will be instrumental in their title hopes.

Italy's main asset is far and away Sergio Parisse, who they will be keeping wrapped in cotton wool after an injury last time round. The team will be aiming to be competitive throughout the tournament this year, and they have been growing more competent with each season. Alongside Parisse, ones to watch include Lorenzo Cittadini and Edoardo Gori.

Wales used to dominate the competition; they have not won for a couple of years, but in 2017 they boast a strong squad. Last time round, they were ravaged by injuries; this year, the dragons come to the tournament with a new coach, new captain and new ideas. Key players include Liam Williams and Alun Wyn Jones. And the duo Leigh Halfpenny and Sam Warburton, now relieved from the burdens of injury and captaincy respectively, are free to (possibly) run riot.

Who will it be? Which country will win the country? Who will take home the wooden spoon? And where did I put my biro?

This is where it starts.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Okay, here (for what it's worth) is my forecast:

1. England
They have been building a strong squad, as opposed to a team, and I can't really see anyone beating them.
2. Ireland
They've got too many of their senior players injured for at least part of the tournament, so will fall just short.
3. Scotland
The real surprise package for 2017.
4. Wales
We're really not as good as we think we are (especially on the coaching front), and we'll miss Talupe Faletau.
5. France
They have a real problem with all the overseas players in the French League, and it will still weaken them.
6. Italy
I'd really like to see them do well, especially for Connor O'Shea, who is a fine coach, but I'm not sure they will. Don't rule out the possibility of a couple of wins, though!

So, there you are .... !

Butts

Veteran Member
Okay, here (for what it's worth) is my forecast:

1. England
They have been building a strong squad, as opposed to a team, and I can't really see anyone beating them.
2. Ireland
They've got too many of their senior players injured for at least part of the tournament, so will fall just short.
3. Scotland
The real surprise package for 2017.
4. Wales
We're really not as good as we think we are (especially on the coaching front), and we'll miss Talupe Faletau.
5. France
They have a real problem with all the overseas players in the French League, and it will still weaken them.
6. Italy
I'd really like to see them do well, especially for Connor O'Shea, who is a fine coach, but I'm not sure they will. Don't rule out the possibility of a couple of wins, though!

So, there you are .... !

The real suprise will be if we manage to beat anyone but Italy :cry:

richw

Veteran Member
I'm not sure on Wales. They have a decent side but the rest of the teams are progressing Wales seem static in development.

backontrack

Established Member
FINAL SCORE: SCOTLAND 27-22 IRELAND

Scotland win the Centenary Quaich.

Scottish tries by Hogg (2) and Dunbar.
Scottish penalties (2) and conversions (3) by Laidlaw.

Irish tries by Earls, Henderson and Jackson.
Irish penalties and conversions (2) by Jackson.

Ireland gain a bonus point for only losing by fewer than 7 points. Scotland remained a try short of accruing an additional bonus point at the final whistle.

The result of this is that Scotland currently lead the Six Nations table with Ireland in second place. It also means that Ireland are out of the running for the Triple Crown Trophy.

In today's other match, the score is currently: ENGLAND 9-9 FRANCE

England penalties: Farrell (2), Daly

France penalties: Lopez (3)

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Ireland gain a bonus point for accruing at least 20 points while losing. Scotland remained a try short of an additional bonus point at the final whistle.

The bonus point was for Losing by less than 7 points. A losing team doesn't get a bonus point for scoring 20. That 20 needs to come from 4 tries. If they scored 21 from 7 penalty kicks they wouldn't get the bonus point

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I really enjoyed the Scotland Ireland match. That's the sort of international rugby that I want to see!

Let's hope that Scotland can take some confidence and momentum to Paris next week :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 26...Newcastle Falcons 24

Because the first half of the season saw Sale descend rapidly in the league, this match against a higher-place team required Sale to show better cohesive team spirit. The first half saw Sale take an 18-12 lead but a very strong second half performance by Newcastle saw them regain the initiative and they outscored Sale by four tries to three and it was only a very late converted penalty that saw Sale retake the lead at the end of the game.

Lessons need to be learnt at Sale about a match being needed to keep concentration for the full eighty minutes. The result of this match sees Sale in tenth place now ten points clear of Worcester in eleventh place.

richw

Veteran Member
I would like to congratulate whoever came up with the 1650 kick offs for England's matches so far. Allows those of us involved in club rugby to watch the game live on TV, rather than a recording. Club rugby typically kicks off no later than 1430 or 1500 so finished by 1630.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Wales 16...England 21

All the pressing in the world means nothing in the cold light of day unless scores come from it and my other observation is the old adage of keep on playing to the final whistle. Wales, with their try just before half-time, took a 13-8 lead into the second half, but Wales did not keep up the same momentum until the final whistle went. England scored a try in each half and did at least try to keep matters moving to the end.

I await other views from the land of Ddraig Goch.

richw

Veteran Member
Something Eddie has got England doing is winning whilst being the 2nd best team on the park. France were better and so were Wales yet we've ground out victories and got the most important thing than the opposition being more points,

backontrack

Established Member
I'm English, but all the arrogant England fans on Twitter were disgusting. Being so smug about beating 'the Welsh'...they also booed Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau before the game. That was one of the best pre-match anthems I've ever heard last night, by the way. It's always sung well, but yesterday's really was superb. England probably has the worst anthem of the lot - ours is a grim dirge compared to Wales's, Scotland's and France's anthems.

I also think that Wales were the better team and dominated large sections of play. They deserved to get another try before the break - and nearly did too - and I think that their failure to do so ultimately made the difference. They also had some bad substitutions - Rhys Webb and Ross Moriarty should have stayed on the pitch - but overall quite promising stuff and I think Dan Biggar and Leigh Halfpenny put forward good claims for Lions places (the latter on the wing to accommodate Stuart Hogg).

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
I really enjoyed the Scotland Ireland match. That's the sort of international rugby that I want to see!

Let's hope that Scotland can take some confidence and momentum to Paris next week :)

Unfortunately not, back to normal with a loss to France today. :(

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Wales 16...England 21

All the pressing in the world means nothing in the cold light of day unless scores come from it and my other observation is the old adage of keep on playing to the final whistle. Wales, with their try just before half-time, took a 13-8 lead into the second half, but Wales did not keep up the same momentum until the final whistle went. England scored a try in each half and did at least try to keep matters moving to the end.

I await other views from the land of Ddraig Goch.

It was a bit of a mirror image of the game in he World Cup in 2015 which Wales shouldn't have won but did. I felt hat Wales deserved a victory yesterday, but it was not to be. I feel sorry for the forwards, who put ina good shift only to see the backs throw it away with clueless kicking, poor execution and poor decision making.

We don't have enough guile or subtlety to unlock top level defences.

Unfortunately not, back to normal with a loss to France today. :(

You have to make sure you beat England ;)

richw

Veteran Member
Sara Cox will make history this weekend becoming the first female referee of a national One match when she referees Loughborough vs Plymouth Albion.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 34...Wasps 28

This match against the league leaders was going to be a severe test of Sale Sharks and it was their recent signing from the League code, Denny Solomona, who scored a first-half time hat trick of tries who helped them to a 24-9 lead at half time. As expected, Wasps showed their mettle with three tries in the second half, but the deficit proved too much for them to overcome.

Butts

Veteran Member
Scotland 29 Wales 13

My word two out of threes not bad :o

First victory over Wales at Murrayfield in a long time. With a lot of big names out the replacements did well.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Saracens 29...Sale Sharks 18

Saracens took at 21-6 lead into the second half and Sale to their credit kept pressing in the second half and kept the final score respectable. Saracens looked like the top three side that they are, especially on their own patch and won the try count by 3-2.

me123

Established Member
Scotland 29 Wales 13

My word two out of threes not bad :o

First victory over Wales at Murrayfield in a long time. With a lot of big names out the replacements did well.

I am not popular in work today! :lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Well done Soctland. You were much better than us, and fully deserved to win the game. I think you are improving nicely and we're going backwards.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well done Soctland. You were much better than us, and fully deserved to win the game. I think you are improving nicely and we're going backwards.

The big test will come at Twickenham :idea: - don't forget we already went down to the Frogs the other week.

backontrack

Established Member
The big test will come at Twickenham :idea: - don't forget we already went down to the Frogs the other week.

But France are resurgent. And that was in Paris - you never had a chance.

Anyway, can we start compiling a Lion squad now?

Here's my Lions XV:

BACKS:
9: Greig Laidlaw
10: Dan Biggar
11: Liam Williams
12: Garry Ringrose
13: Elliot Daly
14: Leigh Halfpenny
15: Stuart Hogg

FORWARDS:
1: Cian Healey
2: Rory Best
3: Tadhg Furlong
4: Jonny Gray
5: Alun Wyn Jones
6: CJ Stander
7: Sam Warburton
8: Billy Vunipola

(CLOSE: Dan Cole, Justin Tipuric, Jamie Heaslip, Jonathan Sexton, Scott Williams, Alex Dunbar, Finn Russell, George North, Robbie Henshaw, Joe Launchbury, George Kruis, Jack Nowell, Owen Farrell, Rhys Webb, Hamish Watson)

Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
On the train back from Edinburgh now.

Great second half performance yesterday but some good defensive work in the whole game too.

It amazing how just the wee things really make a difference, all about decisions and Wales not taking the 3 points at 16-13 down was strange.

Still, it makes up for my trip to the 51-3 the other year - If only to fin the Welsh guy with a daffodil face hat on who came spilling out of the pub shouting Och Aye The Noo...

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The only Welsh player I'd say is playing like a Lion is Sam Warburton. The rest just haven't been good enough.