Rugby Union

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Butts, 3 Feb 2012.

1. UP13

UP13 Member

I like both clubs. I love the fact they are both outsiders who have knocked the establishment out of the way. I know Exeter are more romantic but I love the Saracens seige mentality regarding outsiders.

2. The_Train

The_Train Established Member

Exeter have shown yet again that their biggest opponent in the big matches is themselves. That last 20 minutes was an absolute embarrassment having gotten themselves 2 scores in front. They have shown time and time again in the big matches (both European and domestically) that they just don't have that cutting edge and that belief that they can actually be the best.

And so there we have it, we have to put up with the smug faces of the likes of McCall, Williams and George for another season

3. UP13

UP13 Member

I'm a big fan of those last three names...

Exeter still have a lot to learn.

4. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

BELATED MATCH REPORT

Premiership Rugby Cup...Pool A

Sale 39 ... Northampton Saints 18

Sale were surprisingly too strong for Northampton in the first pool match, leading 15-8 at half-time. The second half consolidated matters and in the end, Sale won the try count 6 to 2 (including a penalty try).

Sale's next pool match is going to be far more difficult, away at Saracens, who beat Wasps in their first pool match.

5. Xenophon PCDGS

Saracens 17...Sale 36

Sale were well disciplined in this difficult away match and established a 22-10 half time lead. Matters were more even after the break, but Sale finished worthy winners, winning the try count 5 to 2.

6. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

Sale look as though they’re making a serious attempt at winning this.

I was at the Saints match last week and Sale fielded practically a full strength side. Saints had a rather youthful look to it, due in part to World Cup call ups and long term injuries.

7. Xenophon PCDGS

Sale 24 ... Wasps 20

In this final Pool A match, Wasps were full of good ideas and intent in the first half and were 20-10 up at the break, but Sale came back strongly with two more tries in the second half in which they did not concede a single point, ending worthy winners and kept their 100% Pool A record, winning the try count three to two.

8. Xenophon PCDGS

Gallagher English Premiership

London Irish 7 ... Sale 41

Sale were too strong for this season's newcomers to the Premiership and were 20-0 up at the break and kept up the pressure until the end. Sale won the try count 6-1. After only two matches played so far, the league table has a very even look to it, points-wise.

9. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

Sale are doing pretty good this season then.

10. UP13

UP13 Member

Saracens have been docked 35 points and have been fined around 5 million quid for salary cap infringements...

11. EbbwJunction1

EbbwJunction1 Member

Unsurprisingly, they're going to appeal against the decision. If they lose and the penalty isn't reduced, they'll almost certainly be relegated, as they'll be on -26 points, and 30 points behind the team in 11th place.

12. UP13

UP13 Member

They won't get relegated. They normally get 70-80 points a season. 35-45 is definitely out of the relegation zone.

They definitely won't get in the top 4 and probably will miss out on European qualification.

13. JamesT

JamesT Member

It always seems a little odd to me to describe it as missing out on Europe, when all teams get into a European competition. It’s just a question of which one.
    Assuming they don’t suddenly lose all their players, I wonder if they might try and concentrate on the Champions Cup as the winner gets a place in next season’s competition regardless of their league position.

14. Xenophon PCDGS

If the decision was made on irrefutable evidence of salary cap infringements, then surely this is a matter upon which no appeal can be lodged, either in terms of points deduction or the amount of the fine imposed.

15. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

Saracens gave their top players ownership of "business investments", mainly property controlled by Saracens' owner, for free in addition to their basic pay.

Saracens claim a "business investment" cannot be a salary, just about everyone else thinks it's a blatant attempt to evade the cap, so we'll see.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2019
  16. Xenophon PCDGS

Gallagher Premiership

Sale 28 ...Wasps 18

Both sides were missing key players recovering from the World Cup and Sale held a narrow 13-10 half-time lead. The du Preez brothers played a notable part for Sale, Dan scoring their only try and Rob kicking 17 of their points.

17. UP13

UP13 Member

Out of interest, how many South African players are on the Sale books?

18. Xenophon PCDGS

Besides the two named ones in my posting, the Sale squad contains the following:-
    Faf de Clerk
    Jean-Luc du Preez (twin brother of one of the two in my report)
    Akker van der Merwe
    Coenle Oosthuizen
    Rohan Janse van Rensburg
    Lood de Jager (he was not yet fit enough yet after injury to play in that last match against Wasps).

19. richw

richw Established Member

the same deduction in any of the last 4 seasons would have left them in 10th place.

20. UP13

UP13 Member

I think Harlequins are doing their part to keep Saracens safe...

21. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member