• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rules exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

anglian96

Hi does anyone have a sample of the rules exam or any sort of mock papers please much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4F89

I doubt anyone will supply, or they shouldn't. The whole point of a rules exam is that you dont know the answers before you walk in. If you are doing your rules now, all the answers will be covered.

Dynamonic

When I did my rules, I found that the biggest pressure I had was in the time allocated as opposed to the questions which came up.
I think virtually every person in my class knew the answers to the questions which came up, but the big challenge was cramming in all the details required of the questions in the time allowed. My writing hand felt like it was going to drop off by the time the day was up.

By the time your Rules exam rolls around, you probably would have covered every topic which comes up to death. :)

Aivilo

I doubt anyone will supply, or they shouldn't. The whole point of a rules exam is that you dont know the answers before you walk in. If you are doing your rules now, all the answers will be covered.

Yet everyone will share the psychometric tests. The irony.

This is a valid point. If your a trainee or existing driver you shouldn't need to ask for things like this and if your not in the industry you do not require this information

Need2

Yet everyone will share the psychometric tests. The irony.

They are 2 completely different things!
You can either do the psychometric tests or you can't. There are not answers you can learn and you can only practice the tests. You are even given examples and ideas how to do so by the OPC.
However in an exam you can.
You are given questions and you must answer using your memory and knowledge. Having been given the questions before hand would then make the exam a doddle and a complete farce.
Or can not you see the difference?

baz962

Established Member
You can either do the psychometric tests or you can't. There are not answers you can learn and you can only practice the tests. You are even given examples and ideas how to do so by the OPC.
You are given questions and you must answer using your memory and knowledge. Having been given the questions before hand would then make the exam a doddle and a complete farce.

Well although I would never post exam answers or give them to anyone, I would think different toc's would have different ways of examining trainee's. That said and I do agree with you, playing devil's advocate here. What advantage would you have getting the answer's from someone here when you get them in class through training or out of a rule book, not much difference really.

sw1ller

Established Member
https://uktrainingsolutions.com/

This website is brilliant. It’s run by railway personnel and they actually mark your answers. It s up to date and perfect practice material.

I dont get what the above issues are, you need to know the rules before you do the test!

Aivilo

Your either in a position to do them or not. You should not have access to material pertaining to anything railway related (exams/tests) end of story.

And fyi anyone can pass the psychometric tests if you understand them and the attributes they're looking for.

sw1ller

Established Member
They’re not top secret! The material is easily accessible via a very quick google search. You don’t go into a math exam without first learning math!! I’m struggling to see the issue here!!

Pilotman

https://uktrainingsolutions.com/

This website is brilliant. It’s run by railway personnel and they actually mark your answers. It s up to date and perfect practice material.

I dont get what the above issues are, you need to know the rules before you do the test!

Yes have to agree with sw1ller, this site is awesome. I know a few people in my group when i trained used this site and was better than classroom content. Would highly recommend for practicing rule modules. I actually done the rules refresher and best of all it feeds back, so if you get a question wrong it educates you as to why its wrong and sometimes talks to you to help you understand why.. Fair play to the creator who i understand is a trainer.. Great work.

Stigy

Established Member
Nobody is actually suggesting the answers to assessments are shared. I certainly don’t see an issue with somebody wanting an insight in to the sort of questions pertained in said assessment. Having said that, all the help anybody needs should be readily offered and attainable from the trainers should it not?

Lewis H

Just read the rule book, the answers to whatever questions you have will be in there, simple as that.

Also agree with whoever said about the psychometric testing, you either got it or you haven’t, not really too much you can prepare for!

Eccles1983

On Moderation
All the answers are in the rule book.

It doesn't matter (in fact is actually better) if people remember the questions as long as they end up with the right answer.

I can't see the issue - skill and knowledge fade is natural and instead of going cover to cover with the rule book and getting nowhere then brushing up and becoming familiar with the type of questions that always come in on rules is a good thing - such as degraded working and DOTE.

No one is infallible, and anyone who gets 100% of rules right every 2 years is either a trainee or a office based trainer.

Rules are meant to be a period where your knowledge is tested and bits forgotten is rebriefed.

Monty

Established Member
Not really sure what the OP is after, if you are undertaking a rulebook exam, you should be employed by a railway related organisation and thus should be properly trained to where you are ready to take the exam or if you are having your knowledge tested (normally every two years) in which case the individual should know what's expected of them and revise accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.