• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rules for being a train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damian40

Hi Everyone,

im just wondering if the railways have there own version of the Highway Code but obviously for the railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
No, just the rule book. Everything is covered in that.
As ever with the railway, it's not quite as simple as that. Operational staff also need to comply with:

Local rules applying to their route in the Sectional Appendix
Rules applied by their TOC/FOC (if that's who they work for)

The Rule Book is managed by RSSB on behalf of the industry and is open to anyone to read on their website:

https://www.rssb.co.uk/en/standards...ng-standards/national-operations-publications

Sectional Appendices are downloadable from Network Rail at:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/indus...ators/national-electronic-sectional-appendix/

TOC and FOC rules are generally available only to staff.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Hi dk1,

thanks for the quick reply. Is the rule book Company Pacific or is it run by a governing body and is it available to the public?
It's issued by the RSSB & updated a couple of times each year. It is specific to all Network Rail operated routes.

As ever with the railway, it's not quite as simple as that. Operational staff also need to comply with:

Local rules applying to their route in the Sectional Appendix
Rules applied by their TOC/FOC (if that's who they work for)

The Rule Book is open to anyone to read on RSSB's website.

https://www.rssb.co.uk/en/standards...ng-standards/national-operations-publications
Oh of course. There are always local instructions that go hand in hand with it. But generally when it comes to signals, speed signs & the like they are all covered in the rule book.

Damian40

Thanks everyone for your help.

just one more question, traction is that for a specific train/locomotive and is there any websites or books that would be beneficial for learning about it.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your help.

just one more question, traction is that for a specific train/locomotive and is there any websites or books that would be beneficial for learning about it.
Is this for general interest or have you applied to be a train driver?

if it’s the latter, then the usual advice from the driving fraternity on the forum is don’t try to ’read ahead’, you’ll be taught what you need on your course.
Traction training would be specific to one Class.

L401CJF

Established Member
If its just for general interest and not for a future career, there are some old BR Fault finding videos for specific classes of loco/unit which can be found on Youtube. Obviously nowhere near the full training for a unit but an interesting watch none the less!

Damian40

Is this for general interest or have you applied to be a train driver?

if it’s the latter, then the usual advice from the driving fraternity on the forum is don’t try to ’read ahead’, you’ll be taught what you need on your course.
Traction training would be specific to one Class.
Looking at applying in the future.

If its just for general interest and not for a future career, there are some old BR Fault finding videos for specific classes of loco/unit which can be found on Youtube. Obviously nowhere near the full training for a unit but an interesting watch none the less!
Thanks

DerekC

Established Member
I suggest that a good way to find out quite a lot would be to buy a simulator package. I am sure others on this forum can suggest which is the most realistic in terms of traction controls.

Damian40

I suggest that a good way to find out quite a lot would be to buy a simulator package. I am sure others on this forum can suggest which is the most realistic in terms of traction controls.
I’ve been thinking about buying one but don’t know if they are good or realistic.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I’ve been thinking about buying one but don’t know if they are good or realistic.
I'd imagine watching actual cab rides on youtube (Don Coffey is an excellent channel) would give a better sense of what goes on in the cab in terms of the actual job than a simulator, although I've never played one and am not a driver so can't say how accurate they are.

If you're interested in operational rules and the like, look at the RSSB website for the Driver's rulebook, and download the Sectional Appendix from Network Rail to read the Local Instructions.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi dk1,

thanks for the quick reply. Is the rule book Company Pacific or is it run by a governing body and is it available to the public?
Companies also (sometimes) have their own restrictions which are topically more restrictive than those you’ll find in the RSSB rulebook too, in their own Appendix to the Rulebook (ARB). Things like instructions during falling snow and when to carry out running brake tests etc would be listed in this.

Undiscovered

Companies also (sometimes) have their own restrictions which are topically more restrictive than those you’ll find in the RSSB rulebook too, in their own Appendix to the Rulebook (ARB). Things like instructions during falling snow and when to carry out running brake tests etc would be listed in this.
Yup.
Our appendix elaborates on a number of points where the Rule Book is " you must contact control" to give a couple of "don't move the train, but do this and try this before contacting control".
Else you'd bottleneck control with guards/drivers asking permission to switch it off and on again, which 99% cures most mechanical gremlins that occur in 40+year old trains.

(naturally, driver will rule out ATP/TPWS activations and other obvious causes, before turning it all off, as will guard.)

dctraindriver

And there’s also a professional driving policy to adhere too which is company specific. Lots to digest and keep on top of throughout your career.

Coach Carter

Looking at applying in the future.

Thanks
If your looking to apply in the future then I’d stay clear of the rule book and traction manuals, it won’t help get the job and in the most part without the base knowledge to help it make sense it will leave you confused or misinformed. Concentrate on your Non technical skills that can be transferred to the role if your going to give it a go in the future.
All the best

Damian40

If your looking to apply in the future then I’d stay clear of the rule book and traction manuals, it won’t help get the job and in the most part without the base knowledge to help it make sense it will leave you confused or misinformed. Concentrate on your Non technical skills that can be transferred to the role if your going to give it a go in the future.
All the best
Thanks for the reply Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.