• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Running brake test. Low adhesion. 377

Status
Not open for further replies.

m25

Hi guys,
I'm a trainee driver at training school, working my way through the rules.
I have a question that I would be interested in hearing what experienced drivers do. I will of course, clarify my knowledge with my instructor tomorrow.

Im happy with my knowledge of running break tests in normal conditions.
Carried out at speeds above 30mph,
Retardation of 10mph
step 1 brake
Before- first stopping place, steep falling gradient, terminus or dead end bay or a crossing place on a single line where the train has to stop.

My understanding is that, when snow is falling or fallen snow is disturbed by the passage of trains, a service brake application must be made very 3-5 minutes, and a reduction of 10mph.
During low adhesion, when snow IS NOT FALLING or on the ground, are the additional running brake tests also carried out in step 3, or would that be step 2?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BromleyBoi

Step 2 braking is part of the autumn driving policy and is only used for the initial brake application for stopping at stations or signals. The additional running brake tests are generally carried out in step 1 as per the other situations you mentioned.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Follow what it required by your PDP (Professional Driving Policy) or as per your traction manual. My TOC (which has 377s) require step 2 at all times.

On Moderation
Do the 377s have operational regenerative brakes?

On Moderation
Yes, they do.
Ta. So a running brake test as described above is essentially a pointless exercise, as it will use the regen brake. All that does is prove the traction motors work, but you know that already as they moved the train in the first place.

driver9000

Established Member
Ta. So a running brake test as described above is essentially a pointless exercise, as it will use the regen brake. All that does is prove the traction motors work, but you know that already as they moved the train in the first place.

I drive regen brake and the running brake test gives the Driver an indication of the level of brake force available and in times of low adhesion an indicator of how bad (or good) the rails are. The motors essentially become the brakes. If the 377 is the same as a Desiro then it will throw the regen out and revert to EP brakes once wheelslide is detected.

Fincra5

Established Member

Not really, as Driver9000 says, if WSP is detected 377s either completely switch to Friction Brakes (And sand) or use a combo of Both to bring the train under control.
Really Step 2 is actually the best brake for 377s as it uses both Regen and Friction - Finishing off with Step 1 for a gentle stop.

Kneedown

Established Member
You say you are in training school?
Without meaning to seem unhelpful, is there any reason why you don't feel able to discuss this with one of the Instructors?
It is they who should always be your first port of call for clarification and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.