• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ryde ( IOW ) Price Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugwash

Hello,

I am looking to book a return ticket from London Waterloo to Ryde on the IOW, is there a return ticket option that will allow me to use the Wightlink Cat going one way and the Hovercraft on the Return ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
I suspect you would have to book that as two singles, which would be rather more expensive.

There are some rover type tickets that might be worth checking, but AFAIK they are for either cat or hover, not a combination.

bigfoote

NRE showing as two singles, I believe due to both being different destinations (station codes (RYP for cat and XRD for hover [from SHV - Southsea Hoverport). Quick look at rovers show no interavailability that I can see unfortunately.

DelW

Established Member
A further thought, a return to Portsmouth Harbour with singles on Wightlink and Hoverspeed would probably be cheaper than two full-distance singles. IIRC the hovercraft ticket includes the 'hoverbus' from/to Portsmouth & Southsea. You can walk along Ryde pier or buy a single to/from Esplanade.

bigfoote

Worth taking a look at Hovertravel's site, they have an October £5 promotion (selected days etc)
https://www.hovertravel.co.uk/OctoberDayReturns/index.php
Valid for day returns only.
Only valid for travel Ryde to Southsea or Southsea to Ryde.
Valid for travel every Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday in October ( on 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 24th, 26th, 29th & 31st October) only.
Not valid for travel on the 22nd.
£5 per person - up to 5 people per transaction only.
FREE Hoverbus on the same dates with this ticket only for the number of people on the offer ticket, simply show ticket to the bus driver (max 5)
Book online 7 full calendar days before you wish to travel - e.g for travel on Thursday 12th October book by midnight on Wednesday 4th October.
Only available for bookings made online with promo code OCTFIVER- this needs to be entered on the Checkout page in the box which appears under the Grand Total amount. When you enter the promo code the discount will be applied to your total cost.
Only available for travel after 0900.
Available for bookings online or via the Hovertravel app
Print your ticket off at home and bring it with you or simply show the confirmation from the app at the Boarding Gate.
Discount not available to be used in conjunction with any other offer, discount or special offer
Subject to Hovertravel Terms & Conditions
Offer may be withdrawn at any time
Offer is non-refundable and non-transferable
Subject to availability

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Surely a change of route excess is the way to go:

London Terminals-Ryde St Johns Road route:+AnyPerm+Hovrtrvl £55.90 for an Off Peak Day Return

Excess the return portion to +AnyPerm+Wightlk which costs half the difference, i.e. 30p.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will you be going on a day when the Isle of Wight steam railway is running and do you intend on going for a ride on the steam railway on that day?

Pugwash

Thanks all, I would have never have found about the possibility of adding the additional cost, I will probably go for that.

I am not going to the Steam Railway but the Beer and Buses weekend.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Surely a change of route excess is the way to go:

London Terminals-Ryde St Johns Road route:+AnyPerm+Hovrtrvl £55.90 for an Off Peak Day Return

Excess the return portion to +AnyPerm+Wightlk which costs half the difference, i.e. 30p.
I'm not sure how half of £2.10 gets to be 30p! The +AnyPerm+Wightlk CDR fare is £58.00.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Apologies, I’d used Off Peak Day Return prices. Agree it should be £2.10.

extendedpaul

Thanks all, I would have never have found about the possibility of adding the additional cost, I will probably go for that.

I am not going to the Steam Railway but the Beer and Buses weekend.

It's a great event though I'm giving it a miss this year due to the withdrawal of Megatrain fares following the new franchise.Secured £2.50 returns London-Portsmouth last two years. Also the £5 advances on the longer Southern route from Victoria are now very limited at the weekend and often non-existent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.