• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Safeguarding officer

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I was stood on Stafford station one day last week, it wasn't particularly busy, it was early afternoon and a week day in term time.

A staff member with "safeguarding officer" on his back was strolling up & down the platform. Just what is a "safeguarding officer"? And what are the chances of him being on the right platform, at the right station at the right time?

If-and I've no idea-he is there to potentially identify anyone who is about to jump onto the tracks, then there are much better stations he could be at. And if he's not there for that, what is he there for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

realemil

While I’m not 100% certain that they’re there to prevent suicides, a few years back they had officers to prevent these sorts of things stationed on local stations between Wolverhampton & Birmingham N St due to increased risk in suicides.

It’s also possible that they’re stationed in a group of stations and go up & down the stations to watch them.

I guess they’re trained in incidents, and how to spot these things — maybe domestic abuse etc too in where they can report it, or it allows someone to “safely” approach them if they have any issues.

Carlisle

Established Member
Aren’t they more akin to general purpose security guards rather than specifically connected to suicide prevention duties.

Pacef8

I would of gone and asked them what they do and what they cannot do . I’m sure they would be more than happy to engage with you.

Neo9320

A large part of safeguarding, in the general usage of the word, is the protection of vulnerable children and adults.

I would suggest that these officers are looking for (as OP suggested) vulnerable individuals who pose a risk to themselves, but also children at risk of exploitation (such as county lines trafficking).

I’m sure they would deployed to areas of high risk and not just thrown about the network in any old fashion.

Anyway, nice to see the railway being more proactive than just popping posters around and giving 3S announcements!

ComUtoR

Established Member
If-and I've no idea-he is there to potentially identify anyone who is about to jump onto the tracks, then there are much better stations he could be at. And if he's not there for that, what is he there for?

What makes a better station to commit suicide at ? Fast services ? Bridges ? Level crossings ? Lack of staff ? Are there any statistics the TOC could use to better distribute their staffing ?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
What makes a better station to commit suicide at ? Fast services ? Bridges ? Level crossings ? Lack of staff ? Are there any statistics the TOC could use to better distribute their staffing ?
I'm not aware of anyone jumping in front of a train at Stafford. But there seems to have been a few at Barlaston, Stone & Longport.

LowLevel

Established Member
Don't overthink it - it's just Avanti's daft newish name for common or garden private security guards. We call ours Travel Safe Officers.

Avanti have recently graduated from the "white shirt with green hi vis with security on it and SIA badge" model into the slightly more professionally dressed but still effectively the same thing with a new name model.

Neo9320

Don't overthink it - it's just Avanti's daft newish name for common or garden private security guards. We call ours Travel Safe Officers.

Avanti have recently graduated from the "white shirt with green hi vis with security on it and SIA badge" model into the slightly more professionally dressed but still effectively the same thing with a new name model.

Ah! This explains a lot! Didn’t realise it was avanti specific. Many thanks for insight.

Murray J

While I’m not 100% certain that they’re there to prevent suicides, a few years back they had officers to prevent these sorts of things stationed on local stations between Wolverhampton & Birmingham N St due to increased risk in suicides.
Three Bridges seems to have something similar, most if not all times I've been there during the day there's been a "welfare officer" in a grey jacket patrolling the platforms. Always the same guy too, although I guess in theory it could just be a security guard as per above...

dangie

Established Member
Just makes you wonder who dreams up these names and how much they get paid for doing it.

Reminds we of many years ago when the Bin Man was renamed Refuse Technician.

On Moderation
Just makes you wonder who dreams up these names and how much they get paid for doing it.

Reminds we of many years ago when the Bin Man was renamed Refuse Technician.
Or “Train Presentation Team”. Nothing to do with PowerPoint, it’s the name for the cleaners.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
At Kingston (upon-Thames) on Saturday, I saw a young woman in a high-vis walking up and down the platform. I did not take note of what was written on her back but clearly, these people are not there to (just) prevent suicides. I had one approach me at Clapham Junction a few years ago (I think he was a "trespass and welfare officer"); a few nice exchange of words and he left me alone

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Crikey. That's terrible; Safeguarding isn't security, it's specifically about protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse.

What's wrong with "security"?

Towers

Established Member
At Kingston (upon-Thames) on Saturday, I saw a young woman in a high-vis walking up and down the platform. I did not take note of what was written on her back but clearly, these people are not there to (just) prevent suicides. I had one approach me at Clapham Junction a few years ago (I think he was a "trespass and welfare officer"); a few nice exchange of words and he left me alone
Trespass & Welfare Officers are commonplace on SWR, they wear a white hi-viz and are, I believe, permanently based at a specific station. I’m unsure whether they’re employed by SWR or Network Rail.

Veteran Member
Crikey. That's terrible; Safeguarding isn't security, it's specifically about protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse.
Agree. And "safeguarding officer" in most contexts would be the member of staff (or volunteer) with oversight of an organisation's safeguarding policy and practice.

Established Member

What's wrong with "security"?

Not necessarily. It depends on context.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not necessarily. It depends on context.

It doesn't. The word Safeguarding, capital S, refers to protecting vulnerable people. It came about as the evolution of "Child Protection" and "Vulnerable Adult Protection" which are a bit cack handed as terms.

I could just about see it if their role was solely to prevent suicides (as mentally ill people are vulnerable too so need Safeguarding).

The word is not applicable to a generic security guard.

realemil

Three Bridges seems to have something similar, most if not all times I've been there during the day there's been a "welfare officer" in a grey jacket patrolling the platforms. Always the same guy too, although I guess in theory it could just be a security guard as per above...
It might be a security guard; or could be both!

I know for sure that it was a predominantly a suicide prevention officer at the locals as I’d always chat to them and the ticket office staff.

One lassie worked in the army and had stories to tell :D

However, I must agree with the above that “Safeguarding” is nothing to do with security…

Murray J

It might be a security guard; or could be both!

I know for sure that it was a predominantly a suicide prevention officer at the locals as I’d always chat to them and the ticket office staff.
Indeed. Now i'm wondering if this person may be one of the "trespass and welfare officers" mentioned previously, although of course not on SWR.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Just to muddy the waters a bit more. They were strolling up & down the platforms with a security guard-or at least someone whose uniform said "security" on the back of it. Goodness knows what Avanti have interpreted that to mean!

Established Member
It doesn't. The word Safeguarding, capital S, refers to protecting vulnerable people. It came about as the evolution of "Child Protection" and "Vulnerable Adult Protection" which are a bit cack handed as terms.

I could just about see it if their role was solely to prevent suicides (as mentally ill people are vulnerable too so need Safeguarding).

The word is not applicable to a generic security guard.

Not necessarily - the capitalisation in this case is due to it being used in a job title, and the word does have a wider meaning than just the protection of vulnerable people.

I can’t really understand the objection to this, which I suspect is something that will only ever occur on this board.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can’t really understand the objection to this, which I suspect is something that will only ever occur on this board.

I think there's plenty of resistance, certainly among Gen-X and older, to "bull" job titles. "Refuse collection operatives" and similar tripe.

The job is being a security guard. It should say security on the back of their hi-vis. Call a spade a spade.

Murray J

I think there's plenty of resistance, certainly among Gen-X and older, to "bull" job titles. "Refuse collection operatives" and similar tripe.
I don't think anyone's actually in favour of it, just older folk may care more. I'm against it but struggle to be anything more than ambivalent towards it all.

Established Member

The job is being a security guard. It should say security on the back of their hi-vis. Call a spade a spade.

I suppose there is a broader scope to the role in a railway context, due to the frequency with which they’re likely to come across people with severe “issues” of various sorts, from mental health to addiction and homelessness, and that’s perhaps what the title is trying to emphasise? It’s a little different to what a security guard in Boots or Tesco might be expected to deal with.

We have “travel safe officers” who are probably the equivalent to this (as an aside they get mixed reviews from traincrew, because they often seem a little too keen to put “problem” individuals onto trains and make them someone else’s problem).

Last edited:

Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In this case, we should not call them security guards, as they aren't.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Indeed. Now i'm wondering if this person may be one of the "trespass and welfare officers" mentioned previously, although of course not on SWR.

They almost certainly are that. Nothing to do with security and safeguarding in this context will probably be looking out for vulnerable passengers (e.g. tresspassers or at risk of suicide) and might be placed strategically around the Avanti network on locations that are deemed to be risky. It's not the same as security (e.g kicking out people for anti-social behaviour and checking access points remain secure) but that's not to say there couldn't be overlap.

Other TOCs have similar roles, although most are contract/agency roles.

TPO

Yes there are statistics. The system all mainline Railway Undertakings report into (SMIS) is managed by RSSB, here's a link to the publicly accessible RSSB SMIS front page https://www.rssb.co.uk/safety-and-h...ligence/safety-management-intelligence-system. So yes, the TOC can and almost certainly does have a good understanding of the risk for each station they manage.

There is also quite a sophisticated understanding in the industry of the sort of characteristics that attract people in such a state of mind. The Samaritans works with the rail sector on this issue and (I am told by someone who was trained by them) their experience is that small interventions such as someone asking "Can I help you?" or seeing a sign offering help may be enough to bring someone in that state of mind back from the brink- apparently the state of mind doesn't always last that long. Having the confidence to engage can be life-saving.

TPO

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I expect Avanti to have used the term "Safeguarding Officer" as a person to look out for anyone on the platform that may appear to be vulnerable and to step in if necessary in order to reduce the risk of harm to themselves. Maybe, a person in a hi-vis may be a deterrent.... (?)

I'd be interested to know what training they are given and the red flags to look out for. Also, are they paid or volunteers?

Howardh

Established Member
Here in Greater Manchester I've often seen "Travel Safe" individuals (I won't call them "officers") both on the platform and trains. Apart from a visual presence, not the foggiest what they can/can't do. I assume they can't look at my ticket and have no powers of arrest - other than the same as we do - and probably can't detain anyone. They do seem to carry an awful lot in their pockets, wonder what they are? Shouldn't be handcuffs and pepper spray, they aren't cops, least of all BTP's, so probably a phone, some chewing gum and a mars bar??

But if they can identify and obnoxious individual and at least tell them off or contact the police, that's something.