• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sail Rail (all gone wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all. I have been keeping an eye on twitter following all ferry disruption due to Storm Eleanor and it appears a few issues have occurred today.

Sail Rail passengers arrived in Holyhead and missed the last London connection.
It appears Stena Line pax got bused, to where I don't know but Irish Ferries pax got nothing.

My question, have the ferry company or a Arriva Trains Wales or Virgin Trains a responsibility to get passengers home in this instance or provide accommodation.

I have traveled sail rail via Holyhead a few times and I would hope to not get caught up in anything like this in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wirewiper

A good question, one to which I do not know the answer.

It seems like Stena Line at least were alert to the possibility that the London connection would be missed, so had called up a local coach operator on standby. I don't know how many Sail-Rail passengers travel on each ferry on average on a stormy Wednesday in early January, but I am guessing that each ferry load could be accommodated on a single coach.

I would also guess that, in the event of known disruption such as Storm Eleanor, the ferry and rail companies would allow passengers with Sail-Rail tickets to travel on a different day or claim a full refund if they decide not to travel.

Best advice at times of disruption is to keep an eye on the ferry websites and their Twitter feeds, and don't be frightened to ask them questions directly via social media.

najaB

Veteran Member
I would also guess that, in the event of known disruption such as Storm Eleanor, the ferry and rail companies would allow passengers with Sail-Rail tickets to travel on a different day or claim a full refund if they decide not to travel.
This is what's supposed to happen.

gray1404

Established Member
Stena seems like a more passenger friendly company vs Irish Ferrys then. It is good of Stena to adsorb such costs and get their passengers onward travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.