• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sail Rail BOJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering doing a similar trip but to the Isle of Man. I wanted to go from Dundee to Heysham and the ferry to Douglas but to return via Liverpool, stay overnight then head home (it suits for return times leaving me an extra morning in Douglas).

I could book the trains and ferry separately but it would be cheaper I think with the through fare. I can't see the return journeys via Liverpool I would want on any of the internet journey planners though.

Any thoughts if this is valid? - thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eire Sprinter

http://www.steam-packet.com/SailandRail

The above info may be of some help in terms of fares.

With regard to Heysham to Lancaster, Stagecoach operate a regular bus service which may be of use if staying overnight near the port (though the last bus departs at 23:16 in the evening).

To save on costs one could rejoin the railway at Bare Lane station the following day; one of the bus routes appears to link Heysham to it.

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_15327_3%203A%204%20N1%20X1%20%28Lancaster%29.pdf

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_15326_2%202A%20X2%20%28Lancaster%29.pdf

The above would seem to be the majority (if not all) of the bus routes serving Heysham.

Given it's not that far from Morecambe to Heysham Port it shouldn't be out of the question for future consideration to be given to extending the last Morecambe train to serve the port, at the very least on certain days/certain times of year.

It would probably entail deferring the current 22:35 ex Lancaster around ten or fifteen minutes. Though as Lancaster station is (according to NRE) staffed until midnight, the return train would need to be away from the port just after half eleven.

Such a Lancaster-Heysham train would allow a train connection to the 02.15 ex Heysham with connections from all parts of the country possible. Early but do-able (the terminal at Heysham reopens at 22:30hrs.). I'd be inclined to think many would avail of such a train though acknowledge that its return back to Lancaster would probably be of limited utility due to the understandable lack of onward rail services from Lancaster until the following morning. However the train would also be doubling-up as a local train so local traffic would add to revenue too.

With regard to SailRail tickets I often have left England in the evening, Holyhead in the early hours of the following morning and to my destination provincial station in Ireland a little later that following morning. The ticket is dated for the evening I depart England/Wales and to the untrained eye it could look as if the ticket wasn't valid in Ireland (due to it showing the previous day's date). I did query this once at Euston but was reassured there was nothing to worry about. And this side I've never thus far had a problem. But the system should really generate a double date or issue a separate coupon for the Irish side.

lfc84

Alot of the recent posts are about Dublin routes, what about Isle of Man?

Im still unclear? I reckon I will just have to try it once day at this rate

John @ home

Established Member
what about Isle of Man?

Im still unclear? I reckon I will just have to try it once day at this rate
It's not surprising that you're still unclear. The discrepancies in the published information regarding period of validity were pointed out in post #30.

My own opinion is that Clagmonster's analysis in post #28 is the correct interpretation - "in the circumstances described, I don't believe there is any break of journey therefore it is irrelevant whether break of journey is prohibited or not". The difficulty is that none of us can guarantee that the person who inspects your ticket south of Lancaster on the second day of your journey will have the same interpretation.

Eire Sprinter

Would it perhaps be worthwhile bringing along a copy of the relevant page from the NRCoC in case of difficulty. (One shouldn't need to have to but perhaps it might be an idea).

Apologies if I diverged onto Irish side services but I felt the issue of the date printed on the ticket was also relevant in this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.