• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sailrail ticket with tight connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricS

I'm going to attempt a rather long Sailrail journey, as follows:

06:50 - Inverness 09:57 - Haymarket (Edinburgh)
10:12 - Haymarket (Edinburgh) 11:32 - Carlisle
13:26 - Warrington Bank Quay 13:53 - Chester
14:23 - Chester 16:15 - Holyhead
17:15 - Holyhead 19:15 - Dublin Port (Irish Ferries)
19:15 - Dublin Port (Irish Ferries) 21:00 - Dublin Heuston
21:00 - Dublin Heuston 23:35 - Cork City

(will be taking a good book!)

Obviously the three changes of train within the UK entail some risk of missing a connection -- particularly at Warrington Bank Quay where I have 6 minutes.

The ticket type is "Sailrail Stndby", route "Holyhd Swift CIV".

Were I to miss the ferry, it seems the next sailing that takes foot passengers is 02:40 (a bit antisocial), then 11:50 the next day. Would the ferry company (and Irish Rail) accept an endorsed ticket from the previous day, or would it be a case of paying for new tickets up-front then trying to claim that back from whichever TOC caused the delay?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't imagine there'd be any issue taking the next ferry, despite being after midnight. This is still part of the previous railway day, and it's likely they'd be used to seeing tickets dated the previous day at that time anyway.

If you wish to deliberately miss a ferry due to a delay causing you to arrange overnight accommodation, and take the 11:50, that would be at their discretion, if the ticket is a 'Day' ticket. But in my (limited) experience they're quite relaxed about SailRail ticketing, so I'd be surprised if you were refused. It would be a good idea to ask them though.

EricS

Thanks for the advice, I'll see how I feel if the situation arises.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm going to attempt a rather long Sailrail journey, as follows:

06:50 - Inverness 09:57 - Haymarket (Edinburgh)
10:12 - Haymarket (Edinburgh) 11:32 - Carlisle
13:26 - Warrington Bank Quay 13:53 - Chester
14:23 - Chester 16:15 - Holyhead
17:15 - Holyhead 19:15 - Dublin Port (Irish Ferries)
19:15 - Dublin Port (Irish Ferries) 21:00 - Dublin Heuston
21:00 - Dublin Heuston 23:35 - Cork City

I'm guessing there's a missing link between Carlisle and Warrington in there? Otherwise it's a long walk.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Yes, the Carlisle - Warrington leg is missing. It would appear to be the 11:49 VT 390 to WBQ arriving 13.20.

It's a pity really that because of the length of your journey you can't have a plan 'B'.

Your journey will be subject to the Contract for International Carriage of Passengers and Luggage by Rail (CIV), in which we find:

9.4 Non-continuation of the journey the same day
Subject to point 9.5.3 below, if passengers are not able to continue their journey in accordance with the contract of carriage on the same day by reason of cancellation, the late running of a train or a missed connection, or if continuation of the journey on the same day could not reasonably be required under the circumstances, the carrier will refund the reasonable costs of notifying persons awaiting those passengers and:
a. provide reasonable accommodation including the transfer necessary, or
b. refund the reasonable costs of accommodation including the transfer necessary.
Carriers may offer alternative transport (bus, metro, taxi, etc.)

National Rail Conditions of Carriage are not applicable to any part of your journey.

Therefore in the event of a missed connection you should be able to at least be reimbursed for accommodation costs in Holyhead and be able to travel on the 11.50 Swift sailing. You may also try and sail on the 02.40 boat despite this not being a Swift sailing - as a result of your delay.

In the event of any rail-related delay it would be imperative that your ticket was endorsed, stating the delay/missed connection by the train manager/other member of staff.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm going to attempt a rather long Sailrail journey...

Obviously the three changes of train within the UK entail some risk of missing a connection -- particularly at Warrington Bank Quay where I have 6 minutes.

The ticket type is "Sailrail Stndby", route "Holyhd Swift CIV".
I did a similarly long journey (Dundee - Rosslare Harbour) recently and ended up with a tight-ish connection as well, 11 minutes at Crewe. The Glasgow-Crewe train was running about 15 minutes late between Carlisle and Preston and I asked the train manager what would happen if we were late at Crewe. She said that the connection was tight, but legal so they would have to sort out me travelling on a later/different ferry.

As it turned out, we made the time up and were only about five or six minutes late at Crewe (and the Crewe - Cardiff train was running late anyway).

EricS

I'm guessing there's a missing link between Carlisle and Warrington in there? Otherwise it's a long walk.

Ah yes, 11:49 - Carlisle 13:20 - Warrington Bank Quay
my mistake when copying it over, the booking confirmation from Arriva Trains Wales did include it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.