• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Salford Central Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

td97

Established Member
The platform canopies should be going up on Sunday

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AMD

First of the canopy roof supports are now in place.

Attachments

• 20230320_072930[1].jpg
    20230320_072930[1].jpg
    3 MB · Views: 240

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have the platforms been raised? Its difficult to tell from this angle but it is starting to look tidier.

They look like new platform surfaces, and I don't think they had tactiles before, so I guess so.

I didn't know it was getting new canopies, it will look a lot more modern!

dunc695

They look like new platform surfaces, and I don't think they had tactiles before, so I guess so.

I didn't know it was getting new canopies, it will look a lot more modern!

I think they have I just couldn't tell by how much. It does look better already.

Chrisyd

The original plans showed the non-compliant (from an accessibility perspective) ramps replaced with stair cases, further down the platforms (so they came out into the undercroft at the same point) this appears to not be occurring.

Also Real Time Trains shows trains stopping at the platforms from Sunday 21 May.

jonnyfan

The original plans showed the non-compliant (from an accessibility perspective) ramps replaced with stair cases, further down the platforms (so they came out into the undercroft at the same point) this appears to not be occurring.

Also Real Time Trains shows trains stopping at the platforms from Sunday 21 May.

I understand there will be a further closure next year to sort out the ramps, which I guess must mean replacing them with staircases as per the plans.

InkyScrolls

How high are/were the platforms? Ben Rhydding (on the Ilkley branch) and Gargrave (just north of Skipton) both have at sections at a mere 15" above the railhead.

snowball

Established Member
How high are/were the platforms? Ben Rhydding (on the Ilkley branch) and Gargrave (just north of Skipton) both have at sections at a mere 15" above the railhead.
They were notoriously low, though I don't have a figure. I thought the main purpose of the current works was to raise them, but they still look low in the recent pictures.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Is it me or do the platforms still look really low?

They were notoriously low, though I don't have a figure. I thought the main purpose of the current works was to raise them, but they still look low in the recent pictures.

I wonder if it's an optical illusion? The canopies actually look rather high which would make the platforms appear low by comparison.

AMD

There is still a step, but it's more like the step up at Victoria.

dunc695

I guess we'll see how it really looks when there's a train stopped in the platforms. Still think the station looks a lot more presentable than before.

Last edited:

td97

Established Member
A quick look at the maintenance gauging results showed minimums around
P2 688mm
P1 720mm
Ideally should be 890-915mm

dunc695

Well.it certainly could not give a worse impression as a station in the centre of a major conurbation until these improvement works were effected. But why has it taken so long?

I've no idea it does seem like a long period of time for the station to be closed. I'm not sure what the area is like in terms of access for materials, machinery etc. Saying that the electric wires were assembled fairly swiftly a few years ago. Hopefully they are running ahead of time and they can get it reopened earlier than planned.

zwk500

Veteran Member
A quick look at the maintenance gauging results showed minimums around
P2 688mm
P1 720mm
Ideally should be 890-915mm
Is this the new height for the platforms at Salford Central or has there been a little bit of a lift? It's surprising grandfather rights would be permitted on something being so deeply renovated.

td97

Established Member
Is this the new height for the platforms at Salford Central or has there been a little bit of a lift? It's surprising grandfather rights would be permitted on something being so deeply renovated.
That was July 2022. They are built at 910mm throughout operational length.

dunc695

I wonder if the platforms are long enough for 6 car EMUs, not that many come through here apart from 769s. In fact, more electric services bypass the station than use it.

td97

Established Member
I wonder if the platforms are long enough for 6 car EMUs, not that many come through here apart from 769s. In fact, more electric services bypass the station than use it.
Yes, 6 car 331s used to stop there when the Victoria to Preston service ran.

Chrisyd

Current message on Northern Railway website service update page:
  • Salford Central: Ticket Office Closure
    The ticket office is closed at Salford Central station.
    The station will be closed for modernisation and improvement works until 03/06/23 Customers are advised rail tickets are accepted on the 67/67A/100 buses between Victoria, Salford Central and Salford Crescent

So looks like this is running a couple of weeks later than initially planned (Originally stated it will reopen on 21 May).

dunc695

Current message on Northern Railway website service update page:

So looks like this is running a couple of weeks later than initially planned (Originally stated it will reopen on 21 May).

I was wondering how they were getting along with this

scrapy

Established Member
Yes, 6 car 331s used to stop there when the Victoria to Preston service ran.
I may be wrong but don't think the back door/ possibly back carriage fitted on the platform and SDO was used. If that is the case 6 car 323s would not be able to stop. Using Google Earth measurement, platforms seem to be about 124m, a 6 car 331/323 is about 138m

Status
Not open for further replies.