• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saltaire Station Ticket Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
Noticed today some Network Rail workers at Saltaire station fiddling with the ticket machine, went back this evening and they appear to have removed the card payment facility.

Seemed a bit odd? At first I thought they had removed the cash payment options and card only (Which would make sense if there had been a few thefts) but they've actually done the reverse!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
That sounds a bit weird. There is always the possibility they may have been people in fake uniforms and may have been tampering with the machine. There should be a record of all maintenance and changes to the machine's systems (or very probably, at least). If I were you, I'd check with the TOC which runs the station, just in case this was not exactly as it should have been.

Hopefully I am wrong, but it is always best to report any suspicious activity - and if there was a harmless reason or some strange coincidence (maybe Northern Rail staff turned up after you left, to carry out further machine maintenance) then the report will probably not be taken any further, of course.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Noticed today some Network Rail workers at Saltaire station fiddling with the ticket machine, went back this evening and they appear to have removed the card payment facility.

Seemed a bit odd? At first I thought they had removed the cash payment options and card only (Which would make sense if there had been a few thefts) but they've actually done the reverse!

Maybe the reader was faulty, I know sometimes they can be a bit flaky so perhaps it was removed for maintenance / replacement? But as others have suggested, maybe contact Northern just to be on the safe side.

nrturner

A colleague uses Saltaire to commute to work every day. Yesterday, she said that people were trying to shove credit cards in the banknote slot and wondering why nothing was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.