saltburn to darlington diagrams

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by 150222, 24 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 150222

150222 Member

Does anyone know which saltburn to darlington trains are booked for a 156 on a weekday?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. simon7929

simon7929 Member

None. Possibly one on a Sunday though.

4. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

As far as I'm aware a 156 only turns up if there has been a failure earlier on in the day. Certainly the number of times I've seen 156s on Saltburn - Darlo (maybe 4/5 in the last 3/4 years) would suggest that's the case.

5. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    The early morning Bishop -Nunthorpe turn often used to be a 156 but that was at least a year ago. My Darlo related knowledge has slipped somewhat

Recently i have only had pacers

6. simon7929

simon7929 Member

Before the last timetable change in September the last one down the main line from Newcastle to Middlesbrough (SO) was booked a 156. Not sure if it still is. This set then worked empty back to Darlington from Middlesbrough, stabled and cleaned, then utilised the following day on locals. 1410 ish DAR-SLB (Suo) could be one of the duties within the diagram.

7. 142094

142094 Established Member

The last train from Newcastle to Middlesbrough via Durham used to be always a 142, regardless of what it was diagrammed to be. Since the timetable change, this doesn't run but there is a service right through to Saltburn and I would guess that it also a 142.

There also used to be at least one turn using a 156 on the Bishop Auckland - Saltburn line, and you'd often see it stabled at Darlo at nighttime. However last few times I've been on the line I haven't seen one, expect the Whitby train which is always a 156 now, so could be that it is 100% Pacers.

8. simon7929

simon7929 Member

The last one from Newcastle to Middlesbrough via the main line only runs on a Saturday night (So). Through the week it runs as far as Darlington then ECS to York. There is a Newcastle to Saltburn service via Durham that runs a little earlier on a Sunday night only.

9. 142094

Ah yes, Sunday is the Saltburn train. However before the timetable change there was a 22.xx (might have been bang on 22.00) which went from Newcastle to Middlesbrough via Durham. More often than not, this would be made up from the last train in from Morpeth, so 142 just about always. Used this train a good few times, and it did seem to be quite popular for those going back to Durham and Darlington after a day out (and few drinks) in Newcastle.

10. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

I took that train a few times - it was always an "interesting" experiance

11. simon7929

simon7929 Member

Now it leaves 2150 and arrives Boro around 2317. Like you say quite a few jolly folk on that one.

12. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Is that stil lthe last train. there used to be later ones but they seemed ot get taken off ( for some reason!)

13. 142094

This on Saturdays only? Sure the one before the timetable change used to run all week.

Funnily enough as I write this, there are signalling problems at Hartlepool so trains are being diverted via Darlo.

14. simon7929

simon7929 Member

Thats correct. Saturdays only from last May. This was because they put on a late service to Middlesbrough from Newcastle via the coast at the timetable change too. However this service runs earlier on a Saturday hence the need to run the main line service throughout to the Boro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.