• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sandymill for openBVE Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

velaro

3864826984_da1dfd9d29.jpg

3646955366_c7c465912d_o.png

Well, as the subject line says, but here's more information. The routes are fictional and set in Scotland, 1986-1993. The original Sandymill to Invermay route for BVE 2 was developed mainly by Robert Glass and was electrified by Anthony Bowden; the original Sandymill to Ashfield route files were coded by Craig Allan. For detailed credits, please consult the readme file which you will find in your route folder after installation.

I've built on this work to create this route suite for openBVE, making the following changes:
- making the route ready for openBVE: correction of all syntax errors and ambiguities reported by openBVE and removal of all transparency issues
- adding BVE 4 and openBVE funtionality: that includes varying cab brightness, timetable bitmaps, UK signals, fully working AWS, and points of interest for track view
- various and numerous improvements to object geometry and textures (including nearly every OLE texture), track geometry, and so forth.

Note: this version is for openBVE only. It will not work properly in BVE 2 or BVE 4.

INSTALLATION:

I'm afraid this is a bit tedious, partly because for copyright reasons, I wanted to keep my own download as small as possible. Let's get right to it.

0. I recommend that you download the most recent version of openBVE if you do not already have it - in some of the older versions, the route and some of the default trains did not quite work or look right.

I. The original Sandymill-Invermay 2.0 route (Sandymill Electric) for BVE 2 must be in place first. If you already have this route in your openBVE installation (and have not messed with it!), you can skip this step. You may wish to delete the route files since they will not work properly with the revised objects from the openBVE version. If you have the Sandymill Electric in your BVE 2 or BVE 4 directory, you can just copy it over. The object and sound folders are simply named Sandymill_Electric. (You may find other folders with Sandymill in their names, but you do not need them. You do not need the route files either.)

If you do need to download the sound and object files, first go to the Sandymill Electric download page of the Scottish Rail Sim Files website. You need everything labeled "OBJECTS & IMAGES" or "SOUNDS" (total of five downloads; do not download the route files or the patch). Then go to the Sandymill to Ashfield download page and get the one file from that page. Run the six installers, with the Ashfield installer last, and confirm overwrite when prompted. Do not forget to change the installers' destination folder from "C:\Program Files\BVE\" to whatever directory contains your openBVE Railway and Train folders. Afterward, you will find a folder named Sandymill Electric in your route folder. It contains the original Ashfield route files; you can delete it.

II. Find the file Sandymill August 09.zip at my download page and extract it to the Railway folder. Confirm 'overwrite all' when prompted.

III. We also need the somewhat incorrectly named "British Mainline Signals & AWS for BVE4.x (BRSigs)". You may already have this in your openBVE installation or be able to copy it over from your BVE 4 installation (for example, you may have downloaded it for the Clarendon route); look for a folder named brsigs in Railway\Object.

If you need to download it, find it at TSC misc downloads and remember to change the installer's destination folder from "C:\Program Files\Mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Object\BrSigs" to whatever directory contains your openBVE Railway and Train folders, followed by "\Railway\Object\BrSigs".

IV. Finally, we need the drivable trains. The default trains are:
Class 158, 37-416 passenger, 47, and HST for openBVE; download at TSC openBVE trains.
Class 150-1 and 320 for openBVE (download at Steve Thomas's site. Note 1: the 150-1 will not display the timetable image unless you downloaded the train after July 9th. Note 2: the routes expect these two trains in folders named cl150-1_openbve and cl320_openbve. If that does not match your system, edit the train names or route files, or just select the trains manually from the list in the "Start new game" dialog.

A NOTE ON CREDITS AND COPYRIGHT:

To the best of my knowledge, I have obtained permission from all the developers whose work I included in my download (in many cases, heavily modified). If I forgot to ask anyone's permission or to credit anyone's work, please let me know.

I have not received permission from Robert Glass, who seems to have left the community. I have sent several emails to the only email address I could find and not received a reply; I asked several developers who had been in contact with Robert for updated contact information, conducted a number of web searches, and also posted on several forums, all without success. This scenario is noted in the BVE Developer Guidelines: "If you can demonstrate that you made every effort to ask permission, should the original author notice their work used without giving you the go-ahead, they probably won't mind so long as you tried your best to contact them before hand." I presume here that Robert agrees with that sentiment since he endorsed the Guidelines on his website. I also deliberately created a download useless without the original route from Robert's site. I will take down my download immediately if Robert asks that I do so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike Redding

Hello, I can't seem to get on to your site. I've got a message saying "A critical error has occurred"

Edit: I've got the files now, took a few refreshes though :)

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Established Member
Brilliant Velaro - I know you posted a few months ago, but this is class stuff. Lovely to see old routes being done up for open too!

MCR247

Established Member
I. The original Sandymill-Invermay 2.0 route (Sandymill Electric) for BVE 2 must be in place first. If you already have this route in your openBVE installation (and have not messed with it!), you can skip this step. You may wish to delete the route files since they will not work properly with the revised objects from the openBVE version. If you have the Sandymill Electric in your BVE 2 or BVE 4 directory, you can just copy it over. The object and sound folders are simply named Sandymill_Electric. (You may find other folders with Sandymill in their names, but you do not need them. You do not need the route files either.)

If you do need to download the sound and object files, first go to the Sandymill Electric download page of the Scottish Rail Sim Files website. You need everything labeled "OBJECTS & IMAGES" or "SOUNDS" (total of five downloads; do not download the route files or the patch). Then go to the Sandymill to Ashfield download page and get the one file from that page. Run the six installers, with the Ashfield installer last, and confirm overwrite when prompted. Do not forget to change the installers' destination folder from "C:\Program Files\BVE\" to whatever directory contains your openBVE Railway and Train folders. Afterward, you will find a folder named Sandymill Electric in your route folder. It contains the original Ashfield route files; you can delete it.

skydo

I printed out the post so I could follow the instructions exactly. Everything works great.

Good work

Skydo

velaro

Yeah, the installation is a bit of a pain, but I'm reluctant to do things differently as long as I'm not receiving any replies from Robert Glass and his website is still up. In any case, I'm glad you like it.

Incidentally, I had some time last weekend and started work on the next release ... the warning lights at all the level crossings blink now. 8)

The Snap

Established Member
Incidentally, I had some time last weekend and started work on the next release ... the warning lights at all the level crossings blink now. 8)

Oooh, very nice! Has this been done yet, or will you be the first? :)

velaro

@Rich: Well, Michelle's demo route has it. As for UK material, NWM sports flashing yellow signal aspects, and the 37/4 and other trains have exteriors with a flashing taillight. It's all the same thing under the hood (sorry, bonnet) and easy to do in openBVE.

skydo

I had to follow multiple steps to get OpenBVE running, multiple steps to get BVE2 and BVE4 to run under vista, and a few steps to get Sandymill running. All the above had exact instructions that I could follow, and each worked correctly the first try.

Are you planning to do a section of the L in OpenBVE?

Skydo

velaro

@Skydo: I don't think so. It would be a worthy project, no doubt about that, but I rather think it's too big, given the amount of time I can spare for development. I'm quite content fiddling with the Sandymill (and I still have a to-do list as long as my arm).

Status
Not open for further replies.