• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Sarcasm) RAF Express Interest in 'Pacer' Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurolus Rex

Recently leaked photographs on twitter have revealed what appears to be blueprints for a new transport aircraft for the RAF.

https://twitter.com/simonharley/status/1173234916236115969

The leaked images appear to feature a 'Pacer' train being used as a new chassis for the RAF's latest high-tec transport helicopter. The remaining Pacer trains are planned to be withdrawn by the end of this year however the DfT opened their "Transform a Pacer" competition this year which intends to find a second life for these trains to benefit their former communities by transforming them into something more useful.

Ideas for entries have included Cafes, village halls and even greenhouses. The recently leaked images however have caused some to speculate that the RAF could be interested in using the fleet as a chassis for military grade transport aircraft.

The RAF have refused to comment on the matter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Given the cabin would be unpressurised, what would the theoretical maximum height be? ;)

najaB

Veteran Member
I doubt the RAF would be interested. The loud squeal every time it banked would give away it's position to the enemy.

Kurolus Rex

I doubt the RAF would be interested. The loud squeal every time it banked would give away it's position to the enemy.

Perhaps it could be used as a psychological weapon, a bit like the Stuka siren? ;)

Tracked

Established Member
They could give them 3rd Rail and putting them on The Isle of Wight, and before anyone says they're too high for the tunnels I'd say that's only true the 1st time they go through them ... ;)

175mph

On Moderation
I think they'd make great portable public conveniences at fairgrounds, outdoor concerts etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.