• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scarborough in the late 1970s/early 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarby

I grew up with BR blue.

The late 1970s was a time of “standardisation” – yet looking back, the variety of locos and stock that visited Scarborough was positively exotic compared with today.

Yet in fact, the writing was already on the wall. The older enthusiasts bemoaned that it was nothing like the old days – and of course, now I see they were right. Someone aged around 30 in 1977 would have seen a fully-operational steam shed at Scarborough; not to mention the last years of the Whitby branch and so much holiday traffic that the Londesborough Road excursion station was still in use up to 1963.

But the summers of the late 1970s and early 1980s still seemed like an exciting time to a newcomer. It was mainly summer Saturdays between July and September that saw things really brighten up – loco-hauled services to/from Glasgow, Llandudno, London, Wakefield and Chesterfield. That meant 31s, 37s, 40s, 45s, 46s and 47s – plus, in their twilight, a handful of Deltic visitors.

The 40s were a favourite for many – I recall how the named ones had their nameplates removed – a reminder that these were in some ways rather austere years for the railways.

What’s more, there were some unusual DMU visitors – I recall the odd “Cross-Country” unit and also a unit that used to come down from Newcastle on summer Saturdays distinguishable by bars on the door windows fitted for operation on the Tyneside lines.

The real highlights were the Bank Holidays, when the station became fit to burst. The stabling point (now a bus depot) was filled with locos and one loco would even have to be stabled in Falsgrave tunnel mouth leading to Gallows Close goods yard on the old Whitby branch. On an afternoon, you could explore the platforms filled with silent rakes of Mark 1 carriages. Where was it all rustled up from? A lot of stock must have spent many weeks doing nothing in those days.

During the summer weekdays and Sundays there were just two loco-hauled services – the faithful day-tripper trains from Wakefield and Chesterfield, often 40 hauled. Naturally, it wasn’t so difficult to blag a “cab” visit in these when they awaited departure.

At this time Scarborough had 9 platforms as opposed to its existing 5 – but after the summer season the station returned to a quiet predictability not so different to today, and platforms 6-9 (now used for car parking and with the platforms removed but with the roofing intact) in particular lay silent for months on end.

However, one marked difference was that the station had a year-round pilot – usually an 08, but sometimes an 03, with two in the summer. In the winter, the pilot’s main duties, which were few, were to shunt the parcels van which came attached to the back of the first DMU of the day – the “mail train”, arriving at 05.28 no less, and then heading back to York at 20.00.

Sometimes the pilot would miraculously change overnight to another loco – just when the shunter slipped away for a 42-mile journey to York to swap with another shunter I never did discover.

The pilot would also head off through Falsgrave tunnel for some cursory shunting in Gallows Close goods yard, which by then was really on its last legs. There was a sometimes-a-week pick-up goods on weekday mornings, which occasionally brought the excitement of a class 20. On an afternoon one could merrily head off to Gallows Close and wander around – there was no-one there to stop you, or who cared, anyway. The line carried on a short distance past the yard on the former Whitby branch where it came to an abrupt buffer stop at Manor Road bridge. So sad, so very sad.

Beyond the buffers lay the wasteland of the former extensive Northstead carriage sidings, with a large iron footbridge and the well of a turntable – now all gone and grassed over (though the infilled turntable well can be located – it’s a playground).

Outside the summer months, Scarborough was a quiet station, with only DMUs on passenger duty. We didn’t call them by their classes (e.g. 101) as this wasn’t reflected in their numbering – so it’d be a “Derby” unit, or “Metro-Cammell” or “Cravens”. Some of the units had permanently declassified old first class sections at one end – these were obviously the prime spots to travel in, including the view behind the driver or of the tracks behind. I think the old first class was removed completely when the units were refurbished, after which some sported a new livery with white around the windows – a positively radical change in those days!

The station wasn’t “open” as it is now – you needed a platform ticket as there was a ticket booth which seemed to be manned at even the quietest times. While there must have been “fare dodgers”, I don’t recall any of the “Disputes and Prosecutions” mania of today. People without a ticket or the incorrect ticket were simply issued with an “excess fare” ticket/form, which took about 5 minutes for the guard or booth attendant to fill in by hand.

There didn’t seem to be any announcements at the station and of course there were none on-board – the train simply arrived at a station and it was up to you to “remember” to get off and take your belongings.

Were things better/worse? When you’re an enthusiast and imbued with nostalgia for the old units, locos and stock, it’s impossible to make an objective judgement. I prefer the old stock, that’s just how it is for me. But the station, even if it’s smaller, is certainly in much better nick today. The 1970s was the era of “deferred maintenance” and it showed.

One thing I will say was there seemed to be a much greater awareness that certain times would be busier, and an ability to cope with it. In the summer the DMUs would be reinforced to 6 or even 8-car sets to cope with the surge in passengers. Now it’s the same three-car 185s – and same timetable – on August Bank Holiday Monday as on a wet Monday in February. Do lines such as this actually want to cater for and attract holiday traffic any more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
What memories of holidays in Scarborough your thread evokes!

I remember the period just after the Met.Cam dmus were introduced on the Scarborough-Whitby branch.

Being able to sit behind the driver and enjoy the view of the track ahead was still then very much a novelty, and before the time when the drivers used to keep the blinds down permanently.

So, on boarding most dmus there was always a scramble for the front seats, but Scarborough was the only place I know where those in the know made a scramble for the rear seats!

IIRC, in addition to Derby, Met.Cam and Cravens units, there were also the Birmingham Carriage & Wagon 4 car units, used mainly on the journeys to Leeds.

Last edited:

flymo

Established Member
................Some of the units had permanently declassified old first class sections at one end – these were obviously the prime spots to travel in, including the view behind the driver or of the tracks behind.........

I remember these sections well and to relay one such memory, albeit on a different line, travelling on an unbelievably bouncy but comfortable sofa-like chair at the rear of a Carlisle - Newcastle DMU that only called at Haltwhistle and Hexham. Very warm and cosy inside this section with the sliding door from the rest of the saloon closed. 70mph 'thrash' :) along the Tyne Valley in what appeared to be my own little private railcar. Oh my what an extraordinarily fantastic trip that I've never managed to repeat to the same level of comfort.

As for Scarborough it was an almost religious pilgrimage from Newcastle on an August bank holiday Monday for my family. Happy memories well and truly evoked. I also managed to get the (summer Saturdays only ???) Glasgow QS - Scarborough HST on more than one occasions during the period it ran in the 80s :D:D

4SRKT

Established Member
I remember these sections well and to relay one such memory, albeit on a different line, travelling on an unbelievably bouncy but comfortable sofa-like chair at the rear of a Carlisle - Newcastle DMU that only called at Haltwhistle and Hexham. Very warm and cosy inside this section with the sliding door from the rest of the saloon closed. 70mph 'thrash' :) along the Tyne Valley in what appeared to be my own little private railcar. Oh my what an extraordinarily fantastic trip that I've never managed to repeat to the same level of comfort.

As for Scarborough it was an almost religious pilgrimage from Newcastle on an August bank holiday Monday for my family. Happy memories well and truly evoked. I also managed to get the (summer Saturdays only ???) Glasgow QS - Scarborough HST on more than one occasions during the period it ran in the 80s :D:D

I used to do a great move regularly on summer Saturdays in the years before the Glasgow > Scarborough went HST. One morning I was at York station and a filthy class 37 came into platform 9 (now 5) off the Scarborough branch and ran round. I asked a member of staff what it was and he told me it was a SO Scarborough > Newcastle that was shown as non-stop Scarborough > Darlington, and supposed to run round in the centre roads at York. He said I was welcome to ride on it so I sprinted off for a priv return to Darlo. The return move was the Glasgow > Scarborough with an Eastfield or Haymarket non-ETH duff in charge.

This became a regular and highly entertaining way to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday.

9K43

In 1982 I was a guard at Huddersfield.
We had a summer Saturday job to Scarborough, and return with a train to Manchester.
As I recall the train started at Victoria, and stopped at Huddersfield, and the Vic Guards was taken off by a Huddersfied guard'
We then worked into Scarbrough, and brought the train back to Huddersfield and signed off.
The traction was always a class 40, via Dewsbury
Happy Days.

Established Member
The summer timetable always saw my friends and I make at least one days pilgrimage to the seasside town,if money was sufficient a weekend Northumbrian Ranger would see my friends and I, fly up to Berwick for the Glasgow- Scarboro albeit when it was loco hauled, it usually produced an NB 47 or a 37, so it was worth travelling for, however we never took a zing unless it was absolutely vital, that hop up to berwick was usually the only zing of the day but if we'd got wind of something running, we got excited about, we'd brace ourselves and do that fast run on a zing again and make sure we'd get in a position to catch it, the rest would be NB 47's, 37's, 31's (single and pairs) we'd prefer to get a liverpol turn, a peak (if unlucky, my opinion) or an ETH 47 and fester on a station till the loco or turn we wanted turned up. However one summer they added another Scarboro-Newcastle turn, that came via the durham coast and was booked solid for a 37, so we'd usually whizz down to Sunderland instead for that, especially when the 143's had a fault and were pulled out of service and the Carlisle-Boro services were partly loco hauled, a good start to the day, with one of Thornaby's or Gateshead's feight machines, thrashing away.
My mate was a dab hand with the timetable and had a memory akin to that of Rain Man, so we didn't usually fester too long at Stations, inbetween moves without looking at the timetable, he would say the codes of different workings, we'd look blankly at him and he'd tell us the working, then tell us, if we get to such a place, we'll have a plus 15 for this turn but if you want to risk it we'll have a plus 5 at this one, before adding, if ours is on time and that ones not late, suffice to say we always normally played safe and when the action died down a bit, we'd do a move and return back to York for the Liverpool/Hull/Sheffield?/York- Scarborough turns and get a multitude of traction, zipping between york- malton-york-seamer and scarborough we had, 31's, 31/4's, 37's, those pesky Peaks and all variations of 47's during the summer time table and that was without drifting further affield to leeds, donny or sheffield.
The good thing about the York-Scarborough line, was, 1 and on the rare occasions 2 return tickets from York-Scarboro normally lasted a fair few trips back and forth, if you did get gripped, it was either going or coming back, very rarely both, especially when the weather was hot and the trains were jammed, with bashers, holiday makers and day trippers, which meant you'd only have to buy a single to get back on track, so to speak. Usually any ungripped tickets we had, were normally handed over to some like minded soul on York station. Especially when after a few runs up and down, we make our moves for the Paington and Eastbourne trains back to Newcastle.
I loved Scarborough Station, it wasn't massive but it was quaint, had something about it, i liked, even for a staion it's size, it had its own shunter, mind you on a Summer Saturday, it was a fairly busy station, think that's what held it's charm, trains from all over the country came here and normally with decent traction too, which certainly helped add a bit more charm. Talking of the shunter, I only seemed to recall, only ever seeing one 03 there, sure it was one of Gateshead's too, I seem to remember mainly seeing an 08 being there and that was one of Yorks, which could result in a line in my Locoshed if i was lucky.
Those Saturdays, I spent half the time with my head out the window, wind in my face, listening to the loco thrashing away. unless it was a peak or a zing ofcourse, then it was nose into the latest copy of Rail Enthusiast and walkman on blasting The Ramones,that usually helped alleviate the pain<D,
I miss standing on stations, standing up close to some of my favourite loco's or the loco's we'd been hauled by, I used to get home stinking of diesel fuel, my granny used to go mad, go get a shower and I'll make your supper, before marking up my books on the big table in the kitchen, ahh Great memories.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
I remember seeing my last York-based shunter, 08171, at Scarborough. It spent what seemed to be ages there in the late 1970s. Being a vacuum-braked only loco, I can only assume that back then, air braked stock didn't run through to Scarborough, or if it did, then another loco would do the stock moves/shunts.

Moving on to the 1980s, I've dug out my copy of '1H85' and it lists the following loco hauled services out of Scarborough on Monday-Saturday:
07.45 to York
09.55 to Liverpool
10.56 to Holyhead
11.49 to York
12.55 to Bangor
13.55 to Liverpool
14.49 to York
15.53 to Liverpool
16.49 to York
17.55 to Liverpool
18.43 to York
20.00 to Holyhead
20.50 to York
In addition, there were the following 'dated' services:
10.18 to Newcastle
11.40 to Sheffield
14.05 to Nottingham
15.20 to Glasgow
19.10 to Sheffield

Where's my Tardis? :P

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I did not want to open another Scarborough thread, so may I be excused for asking a question about Scarborough 50E locomotive shed in the mid 1960's.

Were any BR class 3 2-6-0 3MT locomotives (77000 number range) ever stabled there in the mid 1960's ?

Bevan Price

Established Member
I did not want to open another Scarborough thread, so may I be excused for asking a question about Scarborough 50E locomotive shed in the mid 1960's.

Were any BR class 3 2-6-0 3MT locomotives (77000 number range) ever stabled there in the mid 1960's ?

Not sure about Scarborough, but nearby Whitby shed had some.

If you search the brdatabase website, that should give you the information you want:

http://www.brdatabase.info/

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to the site linked to above there were two allocated to Scarborough from 1959 until April of 1963.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Any idea what type of services they would normally have been assigned to in that period ?
The Bellcode book for York to Scarborough & Whitby includes a photo of 77013 shunting empty coaching stock at Scarborough, dated 24 July 1954. Apart from that sort of duty, I suspect their only other duties in later years might be light freight duties / trips. With the exception of summer saturdays & excursions, most passenger services to/from Scarborough would be dmu operated by 1959/60.

A 1981 summer Saturday in Scarborough would produce the following:

Quiet before 0900 with a few DMUs to/from York and Hull. One of note is the 0843 Scarborough - Manchester Picc via Hull, arriving at Piccadilly at 1318. That sounds like a long run in a DMU!

Then we have:

1M59 0908 Llandudno (Healy Mills Class 40)
1N60 0854 Filey - Newcastle arr 0907 dep 0925 (Booked a Deltic for the Filey - Scarborough leg, March Class 37 backed on for the run to Newcastle, with this loco running round at York. Deltic works 1A37 Bridlington - KX forward)
1L91 0759 ex Wakefield Westgate arr 0938 (York Class 31) - works back 1110 Sheffield
1A37 0847 Bridlington - Kings Cross arr 0928 dep 0954 (aircons) Arrives from Bridlington with a Class 45 or 47. Deltic takes train to KX. Class 45/47 works 1015 to Birmingham.
1M61 1015 to Birmingham NS - Class 45/47 ex Bridlington.

Time for a bit of brekky before we have....
1J11 1110 Sheffield (York Class 31 off 0759 ex Wakefield)

Then we get the holiday trains rolling in......

1E19 0840 ex Manchester Vic arr 11:32 (Healy Mills Class 40). Works back on 1300 to Man Vic
1E47 0714 ex Wellingborough arr 11:42 (Class 45/47). Works back on 1230 to Leicester.
1L18 0915 ex Chesterfield arr 11:51 (Tinsley Class 31). Works back on 1330 to Sheffield.
2L53 1028 ex Hull arr 11:56 (Immingham Class 31). Works back on 1404 to Hull.
1M48 12:30 Leicester - loco off 0714 ex Wellingborough.
1M69 13:00 Manchester Vic - loco off 0840 ex Manchester
1E33 09:32 ex Birmingham NS arr 13:04 (Tinsley Class 45/0). Works back on 1925 to Sheffield.
1J22 13:30 Sheffield - Loco off 0915 ex Chesterfield.
1E28 08:10 ex Glasgow QS arr 14:00 (Healey Mills Class 40 from Edinburgh running round at York). Works back on 1508 to Glasgow.
2D53 14:04 to Hull - Loco off 1028 ex Hull.

A break for lunch - things start to get a little quieter.

1S51 1508 to Glasgow - Loco off 0810 ex Glasgow. Works to Edinburgh, running round at York.
1L24 1310 ex Newcastle arr 15:34 (March Class 37). Runs round at York.
1L11 1125 ex Kings Cross arr 16:07 (Class 47/4). Works 1705 to Kings Cross.
1A31 1705 Kings Cross - Loco off 1125 ex Kings Cross.
2J12 1925 to Sheffield - Loco off 09:32 ex Birmingham.

Interspersed with this lot were the DMUs to and from York, Leeds and Hull.

Most of the workings were shunt released by the Class 03 or 08 on duty.

Cheers

Mike

Saltleyman

There were two 77xxx locos allocated to 50E Scarborough in the 1960's

77004 from March 1960 till April 1963.
77013 from October 1960 till April 1963.

Last edited:

scarby

I just got hold of an old Scarborough-York-Leeds timetable for October-May 1972.

I had forgotten just how poor the winter service was then in comparison to today - today there are 17 services each way between Scarborough and York on weekdays.

In 1972, there were just 10 - with, for example, a gap of over two-and-a-half hours between services departing Scarborough in the afternoons.

After the 05.29 arrival into Scarborough - the mail train - the next arrival into Scarborough did not get in until 09.52 - so not much cop for anyone who might travel say from Malton to Scarborough for work.

The Sunday service was truly dreadful, with just four trains in each direction, with a gap of five hours between services at one point. It must have been presumed that hardly anyone had a need to travel by train on Sundays in that era. And afaik, there were no Sunday services from Scarborough on the Hull line.

Status
Not open for further replies.