• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam

Established Member
As a semi regular user of the Caledonian Sleeper, I have recently applied for an Advance card. How long does it take to receive the card?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What are the benefits with scotrail advance membership when using the Caledonian Sleeper?.
Sometimes you get special offers for use on the Sleeper e.g. I think it was £99 for a berth-inclusive return ticket a while back. Which, when you think about it, is actually quite a good price.

You can use 1st class lounges with an Advance card, which could be useful when waiting for the sleeper.

Liam

Established Member
Access to the first class lounge and the very nice showers at Euston. Also access to Scotrail first class lounges, like at Aberdeen, Inverness etc.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That looks very interesting!

Do you just need one 1st Class ticket to qualify? Even if it's only a couple of quid?

scotsman

Established Member
That looks very interesting!

Do you just need one 1st Class ticket to qualify? Even if it's only a couple of quid?

Sorry, free weekend First.

Membership of Advance is open to the following ScotRail customers:

All ScotRail Season Ticket holders.
All ScotRail Flexipass holders.
First Class Ticket holders.
Caledonian Sleeper customers.

lyesbkz

The website asks for your ticket number, is this just the 5-digit ticket number on the ticket? How can this be checked against whether it is a First class ScotRail ticket or not?

Or do they ask for a scan of the ticket later on? :p

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The website asks for your ticket number, is this just the 5-digit ticket number on the ticket? How can this be checked against whether it is a First class ScotRail ticket or not?

I have just submitted a random five digit number and I'm in...haven't been asked for a scan of my ticket...

Liam

Established Member

I also wondered this. I put in the ticket number of a Super Off Peak Return from Kirkcaldy to London. How do they know if I used it on East Coast, sleeper, or any other valid combination of TOC's. FWIW I used it on the sleeper one way, and East Coast/Scotrail the other. Can they check any reservations against the ticket?

lyesbkz

The thing with ticket numbers is that there is no clear way a certain ticket number can be checked as they are not unique (being five digits long this is quite obvious). I think a ticket number is just a sequential number (like a counter) for a particular printer, really, and doesn't mean much.

Also it doesn't actually say it has to be a ScotRail-valid first class ticket..

Edit: Okay it says 'ScotRail customers' but if you buy a ticket through their website that's technically enough to make you a customer..

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The thing with ticket numbers is that there is no clear way a certain ticket number can be checked as they are not unique (being five digits long this is quite obvious). I think a ticket number is just a sequential number (like a counter) for a particular printer, really, and doesn't mean much.

Yes I agree. You can put in any five-digit number and it could have been issued at any ticket machine. Scotrail are not really going to check the sales record of every single machine in this country to verify the details, are they?

jetice

But if you sit in First Class on Weekends you will have to have your season ticket/flexipass ticket to accompany the Advance card! One for the F&S dept to look into if it is that easy to fraudulantly obtain methinks!

scotsman

Established Member
But if you sit in First Class on Weekends you will have to have your season ticket/flexipass ticket to accompany the Advance card! One for the F&S dept to look into if it is that easy to fraudulantly obtain methinks!
That's unenforceable, since you can get it with a single 1st Class ticket...

jetice

That's unenforceable, since you can get it with a single 1st Class ticket...

Yes you are right - just looked at the website- but this whole thing is obviously open to fraud if anyone can put any number in and get membership even when not entitled to so Scotrail need to look at this to tighten up the way they check out peoples entitlement to join!

scotsman

Established Member
Yes you are right - just looked at the website- but this whole thing is obviously open to fraud if anyone can put any number in and get membership even when not entitled to so Scotrail need to look at this to tighten up the way they check out peoples entitlement to join!

I wonder what the conductors are being instructed to do?

p123

Hey,

Was just wondering how many people in this thread have actually signed up to Scotrail Advance? I applied around the 10th September for my welcome pack after getting a season ticket and nothing has arrived as of today.

It says to expect to wait up to 28 days for the welcome pack, but surely that's just being 'safe' with the post?

FYI I contacted Scotrail CR with it and they were very helpful, even though it was difficult for them as Advance isn't' based in the same office, and have passed on my details but were unable to tell me when I would receive my welcome pack.

Therefore, my question is, has anyone here signed up to it? And if so how long did it take you to receive your welcome pack?

p123

Ok, cheers. Maybe they only print them off once a month or something like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.