• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Assessment Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deidmoo5e

I've been invited to the Scotrail assessment centre next Friday. Delighted but also very nervous. Just wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what to expect. I've purchased a book called 'How To Become a Train Driver' which features a few mechanical tests (ie cogs, water tanks etc), will this be enough to prepare me for the mechanical test? I'm trying to find somewhere online where I can practice the Group Bourdon Test if anyone can help with that? I've also been told to purchase a toy called 'Bop It' to practice the co-ordination assessment, will this be enough to prepare me for all the tests or is there something I am missing? The email says i'll be asked to take the mechanical test, safety and concentration test and train ability test. Also the email says everything should last 3 hours, however I'm unclear as to whether if I pass the tests I'll be invited back for an interview or if the interview happens on the same day? Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry if this all seems a bit over the top but its a job I'd love and I want to give myself the best chance possible of getting it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kilted_Scot

Hey, I am a guard with Scotrail and it sounds like you have the right idea. Alll those things are good to practice and i think you can still get the dots test here

http://group-bourdon-tool.software.informer.com/

Print it off and do it on paper as that will be how it is on the day. Remember its not about completing every page, but being fast and ACCURATE. Also on the co-ordination test, i have heard people say that dont be afraid to stop when it gets to fast and hit the ones you know are right and miss some, better than just hitting randomly.

The interview wont be on the same day it will depend on the results of the assessments. Its normally a panel of 3 interview. But concentrate on the assessments for now.

Deidmoo5e

Brilliant thanks for all the help mate much appreciated. The email seems to indicate that I'd be invited back for an interview if successful but thought I better make sure rather than turn up unprepared for an interview. Thanks again!

ee el oh

When did you guys apply for this position?. I applied for the position at
Glasgow thats still up on the Scotrail website, I'm still sitting at awaiting
shortlisting stage.

railman73

I've been invited to the Scotrail assessment centre next Friday. Delighted but also very nervous. Just wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what to expect. I've purchased a book called 'How To Become a Train Driver' which features a few mechanical tests (ie cogs, water tanks etc), will this be enough to prepare me for the mechanical test? I'm trying to find somewhere online where I can practice the Group Bourdon Test if anyone can help with that? I've also been told to purchase a toy called 'Bop It' to practice the co-ordination assessment, will this be enough to prepare me for all the tests or is there something I am missing? The email says i'll be asked to take the mechanical test, safety and concentration test and train ability test. Also the email says everything should last 3 hours, however I'm unclear as to whether if I pass the tests I'll be invited back for an interview or if the interview happens on the same day? Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry if this all seems a bit over the top but its a job I'd love and I want to give myself the best chance possible of getting it.

Hi -- good luck with your assessment. I have just recently been through the whole process and started 3 weeks ago with ScotRail. Just want to say don't give up -- it is a long process, but i cannot stress enough that you have to give this your 100% attention -- you MUST do the research, there will be 1000's of applicants so you must stand out from the crowd and show that you have done more than the next person!

Best advice use the stick threads at the start and use the forum search to narrow the threads down to ScotRail. I got all the information from those threads and the odd question that i posted.

Also -- definitely practice the bourdon dots that someone else advised - you do get better the more you practice and remember the test is specifically designed so that you cannot finish it, its just to see if you panic and lose the plot!

so in summary -- be prepared to put the hours in on this one, but its worth it in the end!!

Good Luck!

Deidmoo5e

Thanks for all the help guys. Unfortunately the Group Bourdon link doesn't seem to work. Can anyone tell me of any other links available or where I'd be able to purchase a book on it? I realise you can order then online but I'd really need to get my hands on it tonight or tomorrow as the assessment is only 3 days away.

railman73

Hi -- i also have the .exe files for this which i can send you if you still need -- just PM and let me know.

Gary

Deidmoo5e

Just finished a Group Bourdon test with this score
Perception & Attention:

Targets Omitted ------------ 1
Marked Incorrect ----------- None

Speed:

Total Cells ---------------- 1352
Mean Cell Time ------------- 0.288
Median Cell Time ----------- 0.260

Completed Rows ------------- 52
Mean Row Time -------------- 7.196
Median Row Time ------------ 7.255

Vigilance:

Row Fluctuation ------------ 2.10

Been averaging around about this but think this is my best yet. Anyone know if thats good? I'm more confident on the test than I expected but worried about the Mechanical Comprehension. Been studying physics books and stuff but no idea if I've been looking at the right stuff, any last minute tips would be appreciated?! :neutral:

ee el oh

Hi deidmoo5e,
Just keep at the practising, I practised so much that when it came to doing
the actual test on the day I found it much easier than expected. The hardest
thing is keeping your nerves in check and keeping your cool.

mitchellini58

Hi Guys,

Just blew my golden opportunity having a chance in doing the SR assessments on Friday, bad time management my weak point I would say! Just waiting on the big UNSUCCESSFUL at assessments unless a golden angel falls through the clouds! Can anyone advise me? If I still have the burning desire to achieve my dream of becoming a trainee train driver, is it a case of waiting 6 months and awaiting another intake of drivers (if there will be so soon), then doing the full application process again? If so, does that make the chance of another crack of the whip being more difficult? All the best to other candidates taking the current assessments for Scotrail.

Any feedback would help smooth over the disapointment I feel towards myself at this moment:cry::(

Last edited:

Kilted_Scot

Hi Guys,

Just blew my golden opportunity having a chance in doing the SR assessments on Friday, bad time management my weak point I would say! Just waiting on the big UNSUCCESSFUL at assessments unless a golden angel falls through the clouds! Can anyone advise me? If I still have the burning desire to achieve my dream of becoming a trainee train driver, is it a case of waiting 6 months and awaiting another intake of drivers (if there will be so soon), then doing the full application process again? If so, does that make the chance of another crack of the whip being more difficult? All the best to other candidates taking the current assessments for Scotrail.

Any feedback would help smooth over the disapointment I feel towards myself at this moment:cry::(

All you can do is reapply for the next vacancy, what exactly happened if you dont mind me asking?

mitchellini58

All you can do is reapply for the next vacancy, what exactly happened if you dont mind me asking?

Hey, basically after receiving the information and test date last week I was straight on the net for some information on the tests involved. I bought the how2become train driver book (didn't expect much) but it did give me some very basic info,this coupled with various other online mechanical revision (ive just left the submarine service as a marine engineering technician) so did think I would have been ok-wrong!! So the long and short of it was a few questions kept me for too long at the beginning and when I finally got moving I was only at Q25 then that was it time over,so bad time management for me,from there I was downhearted but ploughed away to the end of the following tests but the Mecha test was a problem in a few instances,not stating its rocket science but you need to have a very methodical mindset to complete full questions in time with a high pass,back to college for some physics revision for me,I'm determined for next time! Thanks for your interest kilted man.;)

Steven1986

Deidmoos, how long was it roughly for you between the closing date on the post and hearing from Scotrail. I have just applied for the post which closed 27th Nov and I am just looking for a rough time frame. Awaiting short listing. Thanks in advance.

Scotrailalex

Passed my driver assessment last week, it was my second try. Very pleased I done it. I used the alot of stuff off amazon, the group bourndon test. I put alot of hours in practicing as this is what I failed on the first time.

FSR LOYAL

Passed my driver assessment last week, it was my second try. Very pleased I done it. I used the alot of stuff off amazon, the group bourndon test. I put alot of hours in practicing as this is what I failed on the first time.

Hi scotrailalex. I've got an assessment day coming up in the near future and was just wondering if u could tell me what test you did first,second etc...
Been practising like mad so fingers crossed. Good luck to you with the next stage :)
Thanks in advance.

Scotrailalex

Hi scotrailalex. I've got an assessment day coming up in the near future and was just wondering if u could tell me what test you did first,second etc...
Been practising like mad so fingers crossed. Good luck to you with the next stage :)
Thanks in advance.

Hello,

The first test is the mechanical aptitude. Then the dreaded speed and concentration test (group bourbon) then a 15min break. After that it's the trainability (glop) reading and listing to a piece of text and answering questions on it, then final it's the dials, you have to put them in the order you would check them if there was an issue with the train. You are told exactly what to do before you start them. Good luck

Alex

FSR LOYAL

Hello,

The first test is the mechanical aptitude. Then the dreaded speed and concentration test (group bourbon) then a 15min break. After that it's the trainability (glop) reading and listing to a piece of text and answering questions on it, then final it's the dials, you have to put them in the order you would check them if there was an issue with the train. You are told exactly what to do before you start them. Good luck

Alex

Thanks for the reply Alex.
Think I'm all set. (It's today) wee bit nervous but all I can do is give my best. Cheers :)

BTB

I know a lad that only got to number 18 and still passed so don't lose too much hope.

Hey, basically after receiving the information and test date last week I was straight on the net for some information on the tests involved. I bought the how2become train driver book (didn't expect much) but it did give me some very basic info,this coupled with various other online mechanical revision (ive just left the submarine service as a marine engineering technician) so did think I would have been ok-wrong!! So the long and short of it was a few questions kept me for too long at the beginning and when I finally got moving I was only at Q25 then that was it time over,so bad time management for me,from there I was downhearted but ploughed away to the end of the following tests but the Mecha test was a problem in a few instances,not stating its rocket science but you need to have a very methodical mindset to complete full questions in time with a high pass,back to college for some physics revision for me,I'm determined for next time! Thanks for your interest kilted man.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.