• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Bizarre Greenock Central - Edinburgh STP Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter0124

Established Member
Hi, any particular reason why this is running? I randomly came across it on RTT for 13th September, there is also a return.

I believe it only stops at Glasgow Central to reverse. It only calls at Haymarket and Edinburgh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230809_150418_Adblock Browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20230809_150418_Adblock Browser.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 64
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roadierway77

Disney Cruise Lines' 'Disney Dream' is due into Greenock Ocean Terminal on the 13th September, and the train timings align with the ship's arrival and departure, so it's likely a cruise charter.

Peter0124

Established Member
I see, strange its reversing at Glasgow Central rather than going direct via Terminus - Larkfield curve. I assume its to pick up staff.

I also wonder if a regular passenger would get on thinking its for Glasgow.

roadierway77

I see, strange its reversing at Glasgow Central rather than going direct via Terminus - Larkfield curve. I assume its to pick up staff.

I also wonder if a regular passenger would get on thinking its for Glasgow.
Perhaps it's not just being chartered for a link to Edinburgh but also for Glasgow i.e. cruise passengers can board the train to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

The service does appear to be advertised and it's showing up on journey planners and TOC apps so I wonder if theoretically anybody could board the service? Has a direct Greenock to Edinburgh service ever existed, and if so, I wonder when such a direct journey was last possible?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Has a direct Greenock to Edinburgh service ever existed, and if so, I wonder when such a direct journey was last possible?
Yes, there were direct Edinburgh Princes Street to Greenock and Gourock services historically, down to a single Summer Saturday day return working by the early 60s. (There were similar services to Ayr and Heads of Ayr as well.)

Bill57p9

A class 380 charter from Shotts to Troon in June also called at Glasgow Central rather than using the Terminus to Larkfield curve, so there must be a credible reason.
Different route knowledge?
Are there 380s cleared for the curve?

I do note that passengers could arrive Edinburgh earlier by alighting at Glasgow Central, walking to Queen Street and catching the shuttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.