• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Class 156 Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryBrown156

Hi,
I know this may be a strange question to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of which ScotRail 156's have new seats and which still have the old ones?.
As you'll probably have guessed the 156 is my favourite DMU in the ScotRail fleet so I was chuffed that they recently received a refurb which should see them continue operate WHL and G&SW services for years to come (I hope so anyway ). Last month I made my first trip aboard a WHL refurbished unit from Glasgow to Mallaig where I noticed it had new seats fitted (Fainsa I think they're called?). Whilst not uncomfortably I did find them rather firm and certainly not as comfortable as the old ones. My return 156 (from Oban to Glasgow) also had new seats so I just assumed all units must've had these fitted at there last overhaul. however this week I have been commuting most day's between Glasgow and Kilmarnock and noticed that some still retain the old seats (with new covers). other than the original seats and the tables these units appear to have had the same refurb as the Fainsa examples so that got me pondering a few questions:

Why do some have the old seats and some new?, if it comes down to budget surely it would've made sense to keep the old seats on all 156's.

Why where the Fainsa seats chosen?, again if it comes down to budget why not just keep the old seats?, they are more comfortable and retaining them would've saved money

Are the units with the old seats due to receive the Fainsa seats anytime soon?.

How many units have the old seats and how many have new?

Do any of the West Highland units still have the old seats?.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
There was a supply issue during the refurbishment programme which meant not all units gained the new seats. The ones that didn't are currently going to Landore depot in Swansea to have them fitted. The whole fleet should have new seats in the next few weeks with the exception of 156478 which is owned by Brodies.

Kurolus Rex

Hi,
I know this may be a strange question to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of which ScotRail 156's have new seats and which still have the old ones?.
As you'll probably have guessed the 156 is my favourite DMU in the ScotRail fleet so I was chuffed that they recently received a refurb which should see them continue operate WHL and G&SW services for years to come (I hope so anyway ). Last month I made my first trip aboard a WHL refurbished unit from Glasgow to Mallaig where I noticed it had new seats fitted (Fainsa I think they're called?). Whilst not uncomfortably I did find them rather firm and certainly not as comfortable as the old ones. My return 156 (from Oban to Glasgow) also had new seats so I just assumed all units must've had these fitted at there last overhaul. however this week I have been commuting most day's between Glasgow and Kilmarnock and noticed that some still retain the old seats (with new covers). other than the original seats and the tables these units appear to have had the same refurb as the Fainsa examples so that got me pondering a few questions:

Why do some have the old seats and some new?, if it comes down to budget surely it would've made sense to keep the old seats on all 156's.

Why where the Fainsa seats chosen?, again if it comes down to budget why not just keep the old seats?, they are more comfortable and retaining them would've saved money

Are the units with the old seats due to receive the Fainsa seats anytime soon?.

How many units have the old seats and how many have new?

Do any of the West Highland units still have the old seats?.

Thanks in advance.

Not my area of expertise i'm afraid however i'm sure there are several people on here that could help you.

Not a strange question at all, seat discussions are very common on this forum ;)

simon7929

The Northern fleet have a right mix of seats fitted to their 156s. The Porterbrook leased ones, 420/1/3-9/40/1/52/5/9/60/1/4 and 6 have Chapman seats. But the Angel leased ones apart from 447/9/65/85 and 96 have Richmond seats. The five noted above have the old original seats. Think they are known as Ashbourne.

Here's a link for the the ScotRail 156s and their current status on this subject.

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+156+Refurbishment+2017-2019

JModulo

The only ones with the original seats left are 462 (currently onboard :lol:) and 511. 478 has them too but will be retaining them I believe.

Kurolus Rex

Great compared to the new ones. Didn't mind spending hours at a time on them. Now my usual commute (about 2 hours a day) on the new ones is murder.

Which are your favourite out of all the seat types? The originals or ones from pervious refurbs?

JModulo

Which are your favourite out of all the seat types? The originals or ones from pervious refurbs?

I only travel on the scotrail ones daily which had the originals up until they got ruined. So yes, originals.

Kurolus Rex

I only travel on the scotrail ones daily which had the originals up until they got ruined. So yes, originals.

Thanks. It's always interesting to hear people's opinions on seats.

I have heard somebody say that they find the new Fainsas more comfortable than "LNER First Class", so you really do get a wide range of opinions on seats.

The new IET seats are similar in that regard, a lot of people have a deep hatred for them whilst others find them perfectly acceptable. That's for another thread though ;)

507 001

Established Member
The new Fainsa Ironing boards, whilst uncomfortable, are nowhere near as bad as those fitted to TPE’s 802s/397s/Mk5s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I really like the new seats, perfectly comfortable. I always thought the ashbourne seats were too low down and some were in bad condition.

Ironing board haters who haven't tried the ScotRail/Northern "contoured base" version do need to give them a go - the different base makes it a totally different seat from the thin flat version. I find them on a near par with Grammer E3000 "Desiro seats".

507 001

Established Member
Ironing board haters who haven't tried the ScotRail/Northern "contoured base" version do need to give them a go - the different base makes it a totally different seat from the thin flat version. I find them on a near par with Grammer E3000 "Desiro seats".

I must confess I’ve only tried the Northern/Scotrail version. They’re fine for relatively short journeys, but Oban to Crianlarich and back on one made my back ache.

simon7929

The 5 ex ScotRail 156s with Ashbourne fitted seats, now with Northern are due to be refurbished. They should be fitted with the new style seats when completed. The rest of the Northern 156 fleet will retain their original Chapman and Richmond seats but will gain new seat covers.

GaryBrown156

Thanks very much for the information guys, much appreciated. Apologies for the delayed reply but I've been away from home for the past few weeks and have had limited internet connection. When at home I live quite close to the Springburn works which I believe did most of the Scotrail 156 refurbs, I certainly used to see a lot of them in the yard out the window until the works closed earlier this year. Off topic but still makes me feel sad to look out the window at the train sheds with no trains in the yard .
Interesting to hear folks differing opinions on the new seats, as I say I don't find them uncomfortable per say however they are definitely not as comfortable as the old ones imo. perhaps that's just because I'm so used to the old seats as I travel quite frequently (or did until around 7 months ago) on the WHL and semi frequently on the G&SW. That being said even though I prefer the old 156 seats to the new I still prefer them to the 158 seats so hopefully the 156's remain on the WHL for the foreseeable (I believe the plan was to replace the 156 with the 158 on the WHL but I've no idea if that's still the plan or if that has been axed/shelved?). Glad also that my question wasn't as strange as I feared. one of the day's I was travelling with my mate (whose a non rail enthusiast) and he didn't even notice the difference between the new and old seats. Mind you that was a relatively short journey from Glasgow to Kilmarnock so don't know if he would've noticed the difference over a longer journey (Glasgow to Mallaig for example)

Kurolus Rex

Thanks very much for the information guys, much appreciated. Apologies for the delayed reply but I've been away from home for the past few weeks and have had limited internet connection. When at home I live quite close to the Springburn works which I believe did most of the Scotrail 156 refurbs, I certainly used to see a lot of them in the yard out the window until the works closed earlier this year. Off topic but still makes me feel sad to look out the window at the train sheds with no trains in the yard .
Interesting to hear folks differing opinions on the new seats, as I say I don't find them uncomfortable per say however they are definitely not as comfortable as the old ones imo. perhaps that's just because I'm so used to the old seats as I travel quite frequently (or did until around 7 months ago) on the WHL and semi frequently on the G&SW. That being said even though I prefer the old 156 seats to the new I still prefer them to the 158 seats so hopefully the 156's remain on the WHL for the foreseeable (I believe the plan was to replace the 156 with the 158 on the WHL but I've no idea if that's still the plan or if that has been axed/shelved?). Glad also that my question wasn't as strange as I feared. one of the day's I was travelling with my mate (whose a non rail enthusiast) and he didn't even notice the difference between the new and old seats. Mind you that was a relatively short journey from Glasgow to Kilmarnock so don't know if he would've noticed the difference over a longer journey (Glasgow to Mallaig for example)

No problem. Non-enthusiasts often don't notice the differences between seats (particularly if they don't use trains often) so provided there's no massive difference in difference, they probably won't notice.

On the contrary, we're very pedantic on this forum!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Ironing board haters who haven't tried the ScotRail/Northern "contoured base" version do need to give them a go - the different base makes it a totally different seat from the thin flat version.
I've tried them. Once an ironing board, always an ironing board. What's that old adage about polishing poo?
I find them on a near par with Grammer E3000 "Desiro seats".
Each to their own I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.