• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthClyde320

When ScotRail needed them ASAP, they delivered them at least one a week. ScotRail have enough for the timetable, Hitachi are assembling 800 series as fast as they can - that's the priority.

I wasn't having a go at ScotRail or Hitachi, far from it, in my opinion ScotRail gets way to much criticism much of it unjust, ill informed and over the top.

The 385s were on Lanark before the Fringe, not sure about Inverclyde but Lanark had 385s since May. There is still one class 320/318 on the Lanark services.
Correct me if I’m wrong but what I think @NorthClyde320 was asking was how many of the 7 units that have been delivered since the May timetable change are now in revenue earning service?

Thanks. What I should have said was "replaced any of the REMAINING 318/320 units on Lanark or Inverclyde". I know that 6 of the 7 units delivered are in service that's why I asked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CM

Not the case. A phased successful introduction combined with the withdrawal of the 314's. No rush to have them before they're needed. The whole rollout and improvements elsewhere are all on schedule. EGIP is a hugely successful project.

I made no mention of EGIP, I was reffering to the delivery of the Class 385s alone. I stand by my point, the delivery of these units is nothing short of a shambles.

snookertam

I think the fact that the driving windscreens had to get replaced and ScotRail had to draft in 365s as an emergency measure suggests that itat least wasn't a complete success. I think they can now afford to slow the deliveries down as the revised plan is for the remaining 314s to be away by December, however it's worth recalling that these units should have been gone last December.

mcmad

Not the case. A phased successful introduction combined with the withdrawal of the 314's. No rush to have them before they're needed. The whole rollout and improvements elsewhere are all on schedule. EGIP is a hugely successful project.

Wow, how many years late and millions over budget is it so far with another year (?) to go.

The 385 introduction can't be that good given the daily short forms on the SDA (3 vice 4 or 3 vice 6 on at least 1 diagram every day for the last couple of weeks)

So do you think ScotRail will get the 10 extra 385/0s? Personally think it should of been half 385/0s and half 385/1s

InOban

Established Member
The first phase (E-G) was late and over budget because of the late change in clearance specs. AFAIK the later stages were more or less on time and budget. Indeed the Shotts route may have been early.
Certainly the early deliveries were delayed by the window issue and they had to use 365s for a few months. But the introduction has gone better than the corresponding introductions south of the border.
The project is complete.
The wonderful Queen Street project is not part of EGIP.

Altnabreac

Established Member
I think the fact that the driving windscreens had to get replaced and ScotRail had to draft in 365s as an emergency measure suggests that itat least wasn't a complete success. I think they can now afford to slow the deliveries down as the revised plan is for the remaining 314s to be away by December, however it's worth recalling that these units should have been gone last December.

The final 314s were always scheduled to remain until December 2019. The late delivery of the 385s has been dealt with more by delaying the number of 170s and 158s leaving and partially by the reduction in 314s being a little slower than planned.

However they were never all expected to leave in 2018.

Altnabreac

Established Member
The first phase (E-G) was late and over budget because of the late change in clearance specs. AFAIK the later stages were more or less on time and budget. Indeed the Shotts route may have been early.
Certainly the early deliveries were delayed by the window issue and they had to use 365s for a few months. But the introduction has gone better than the corresponding introductions south of the border.
The project is complete.
The wonderful Queen Street project is not part of EGIP.

Original EGIP was for 6tph of 6 coach trains.

Once this went over budget the EGIP mark 2 was proposed, dropping Almond Chord, Greenhill grade separation, Croy turnback (and wiring to Stirling).

But EGIP mark 2 proposed to deliver the capacity increase through extending Queen St to allow 4tph of 8 coach trains. So Queen St platform extensions (and thus the new frontage) are part of EGIP. However the Queen St phase 2 work beyond that to build new retail / office space etc to the east of the station is not part of EGIP.

Ironically of course the wiring to Stirling that was dropped from EGIP has actually been completed now ahead of the Queen St phase of EGIP being complete.

CM

Original EGIP was for 6tph of 6 coach trains.

Once this went over budget the EGIP mark 2 was proposed, dropping Almond Chord, Greenhill grade separation, Croy turnback (and wiring to Stirling).

But EGIP mark 2 proposed to deliver the capacity increase through extending Queen St to allow 4tph of 8 coach trains. So Queen St platform extensions (and thus the new frontage) are part of EGIP. However the Queen St phase 2 work beyond that to build new retail / office space etc to the east of the station is not part of EGIP.

Ironically of course the wiring to Stirling that was dropped from EGIP has actually been completed now ahead of the Queen St phase of EGIP being complete.

The only way they could get 8 car trains into Queen Street is by extending the platforms, extending them onto the concourse has meand a rebuild of the station was needed therefore the whole rebuild of Queen Street IS part of EGIP. The website even clearly states "Redevelopment of Queen Street". If it was just platform extensions then it would say specifically, platform extensions.

Altnabreac

Established Member
The only way they could get 8 car trains into Queen Street is by extending the platforms, extending them onto the concourse has meand a rebuild of the station was needed therefore the whole rebuild of Queen Street IS part of EGIP. The website even clearly states "Redevelopment of Queen Street". If it was just platform extensions then it would say specifically, platform extensions.

Please read what I just wrote as it is exactly the same as your argument except excluding the (as yet unconsented) work to the east of the station.

SC318250

Think we are now down to 6 x 314 available for 5 diagrams unless this has been reduced to 4 diagrams.

314203 is gone by looks of things the fact it is at east end of Shields with pan down now for several weeks

I think we will see 385043/044 and possibly 001 delivered in the next few weeks, and then I think the 314s will all be withdrawn.
I think 002/101 might be a wee bit longer as these 2 have only undergone testing in Germany

anthannan

Wow, how many years late and millions over budget is it so far with another year (?) to go.

The 385 introduction can't be that good given the daily short forms on the SDA (3 vice 4 or 3 vice 6 on at least 1 diagram every day for the last couple of weeks)
Definitely a glass half empty pov. When Queen Street is complete next spring the project will have delivered. The 385 reliability is proving to be fairly good. Onto a further ten 385's, Almond Chord, further electrification, double tracking and infrastructure improvements next :)

InOban

Established Member
So Queen Street wasn't part of the original program but became part when it was revised? Ok, my mistake.
I am more worried by the lack of any news about the revised plans for the old car park. Having removed the steelwork for the original plan, I've heard nothing about the proposed new block. The temporary staff facilities may be there for some time (or are there new ones on the Dundas Street side?)

snookertam

I'm pretty sure it was always the case that Queen Street was going to be redeveloped as part of this scheme.

GrimShady

Established Member
How would you guys rate 385s compared to Electrostars?

If they were still in production would they have been a better fit?

GrimShady

Established Member
So Queen Street wasn't part of the original program but became part when it was revised? Ok, my mistake.
I am more worried by the lack of any news about the revised plans for the old car park. Having removed the steelwork for the original plan, I've heard nothing about the proposed new block. The temporary staff facilities may be there for some time (or are there new ones on the Dundas Street side?)

Same here, precious little information.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
385s really should be put on Ayr to allow Largs to double up. I just had to miss the 16:30 Largs as there wasn’t any room to get on.

Voyager lad

Anyone know if it was a 385 that failed at linlithgow on saturday? Anyone know the cause?
It was, it was the 2045 Edinburgh - Glasgow. Unsure of the cause, however I myself was stuck on the 2115 outside Linlithgow for well over 30 mins and after a further delay at Falkirk High arrived at Croy 56 mins late

Mulson

I'm told an emergency button was pressed.

I was on it, terminated at Edinburgh Park and the announcement was technical fault. We were stationary at the platform for about 15-20mins with the guard walking up and down the platform as they attempted to get us up and running again but were eventually turfed off.

skh93

Took a 385 as part of my journey today, between GLC and Motherwell, very impressed.

Smooth and quick off the mark, very comfortable and overall a nice train to be on.

Considering the 1st part of my journey was on a 319 between Bolton and Preston, I felt spoilt!

NorthClyde320

Tonight's 19.15 Cathcart is 320312, this has been a class 385 on a number of occasions in the past when I have travelled on it. Have to say the 320 is much better suited to it (and quieter to) lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.