• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail customer service - Where do I go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this was the right place to put this, so mods feel free to move it if need be.

With the odd post cropping up recently about complaints and customer service, I thought id pop mine in here and see what you think and what I should consider doing next? Be warned though, it may take a bit of reading, but here goes.....

The following is a copy of the e-mail I sent to ScotRail customer services and explains what has happened and this will explain to you all what has happened in our case........

Hi,

Sorry this is going to be a bit long winded.

The original situation is that we have booked two trips on the Caledonian Sleeper,

03/12/09 London Euston – Fort William
06/12/09 Fort William – London Euston

We booked these tickets through the First ScotRail website on 02/10/09 and picked our tickets up from the ticket machines at Nottingham station on the same day. The tickets were booked with the use of a disabled adult railcard and the total cost was £331.20 each way, or £662.40 in total.

After telling a friend about this, we had a look at the bookings again and found that if you searched for the exact same tickets, same date, time and class, but WITHOUT using a disabled adult railcard that the price offered was £272.00 each way, a total of £544.00, a huge £117.60 cheaper than if you used the railcard! As you will no doubt know, you have to pay for a disabled adult railcard, which in turn should make your journeys cheaper, not more expensive.

I reported this to enquires and customer relations on 03/10/09 and got the following reply on 06/10/09.......

Thank you for your email dated 3 October 2009 in connection with your journeys between London Euston and Fort William in December.

I have looked at the cost of Sleeper First Singles, and these are £184.00 each without railcard discount and £165.60 with, so the total of £662.40 would appear correct. There is a cheaper Sleeper First Single at a cost of £136.00 without railcard discount and I can only recommend you contact web support regarding availability of the quota on 0845 3050250.

Thank you for contacting ScotRail. Should you need to reply to this email, please respond to [email protected].

Yours sincerely

Colin Powers
Customer Relations Advisor

I followed the instruction to contact web support, firstly on 06/10/09, I spoke to a woman who asked for various reference numbers and details about my journeys, she was unable to find my tickets after asking countless times if it was a bargain berth, even though I had stated the tickets were first sleeper single, and I was then was placed on hold for over 20 minutes, with no explanations as to why I was being held this long, before I hung up.

I tried again today (08/10/09) and firstly spoke to a man who seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, I was asked for no details about the my contact details, booking information or tickets, except the reference number for the FastTicket collection confirmation I had received, to which I was told quite bluntly that the reference is invalid, and that was the end of the conversation. The man I spoke to was pretty unhelpful and did not seem to know what my problem was.

I tried again and finally got through to a very helpful woman, who listened to the situation and checked through all the details I had given, she took my e-mail address and got my tickets up in a matter of seconds. She checked through my situation and found the problem straight away, stating that it was a website error and the £272.00 tickets should have shown up when searching with a disabled adult railcard, I was on hold for no more than a few minutes.

I was informed that the situation could only be rectified by cancelling my 2 booked trips and re-booking the new tickets at the cheaper price. This is all well and good but when I asked when the refund would be placed back into my account I was told I would have to mail the tickets I have back and a refund would be in my account by 28/10/09 at the earliest, providing I posted the tickets today. Sadly this situation is not really any help to us, firstly I do not have £544 spare in my account to book the new tickets now, and secondly I am not willing to wait until 28/10/09 to book new tickets because the sleeper to Fort William is only 2 coaches and we are risking not getting first class tickets, or any tickets at all, especially as it is only just over a month before we travel. We have several other journeys booked as part of this trip and to not be able to get the Caledonain Sleeper tickets we want would flush another £500 down the toilet.

On a side note with first class booking, When we made our original booking for the London Euston to Fort William we had to add 4 separate booking to the basket before we got a shared cabin (next to each other with connecting door), even though we stated each time that we wanted a shared cabin. We were given berth numbers at opposite ends of the carriage so we had to add the tickets and then remove the ones we didn’t want when we had a shared cabin.

So in review, we have had to spend almost £120 over the odds due to a website error not giving the full range of tickets to disabled adult railcard holders, along with having to make three phone calls to an 0845 number, on two occasions the operative seemed to not have the knowledge about the tickets to rectify the problem.

I am a huge fan of ScotRail, the service onboard is always clean and the staff are friendly, I think the Caledonain Sleeper service is the most beautiful journey in the UK and I would recommend it to anyone, but this situation has let us both down and we still have a return journey to Mallaig to book for 05/12/09 yet!

I doubt very much anything can be done in our situation now but I hope that the website issue can be addressed so this does not happen to anyone else, after all, you pay for your railcard to get the reduced fares, not pay more and £120 is still £120 to anyone.

Thanks

The reply I have had from ScotRail is as follows....................

Thank you for your further email dated 8 October 2009 following previous correspondence with our office. I was most concerned to learn of the difficulties you have experienced, and I am sorry that you have found cause to complain.

I will certainly log your comments for the attention of the Web Support Team Manager as we view the failure to provide any aspect of our advertised service with the greatest concern. The online booking service was launched to enable us to offer a more useful and efficient service, and I apologise that we let you down on this occasion.

We also offer a telephone booking service, which is available to sell most types of ticket, including those available through our website. If you would prefer to contact our Telesales department to make your reservation, please call 08457 55 00 33. If you are booking from outside the UK, please call our International Telesales on 0044 1752 675 670.

All our fares are sold subject to availability and are quota controlled. I would therefore suggest that in future you search for both fares with and without the railcard discount.

Your comments regarding displaying all fares with and without railcard discount have been logged for the attention of the web support managers, and ScotRail will be reviewing all customer feedback on a regular basis, to allow us to identify any areas where there is a clear need for improvement.

Thank you for contacting ScotRail. I am grateful to you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Should you need to reply to this email, please respond to [email protected].

Yours sincerely

Janine Smith
Customer Relations Advisor

So basically I have to search for all our advanced booking tickets with and without the railcard? Now I may be being a bit stupid here, but why would I search for tickets without using the railcard? Or the other option is to do all my booking via telesales to an 0845 number, at my expense!

Anyway, where do I go from here? My partner is in the progress of writing to ScotRail about the situation, as all we have had so far is standard pre written replies, twice they have been word for word identical, apart from the name at the bottom!

One reply I have had from a forum member was to 'write to the top man at ScotRail, writing to him in person, cc'ing all the correspondence, and saying you'll write to Watchdog, "Jessica Investigates" in the Daily Telegraph and all the Railway Mags until you get the refund to which you're entitled.'

Is it worth pushing this or just put it down to bad luck?

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated.

CSK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
I'd go for it, what can you lose? I'd be pretty annoyed if I was in your shoes.

Its just where we go from here, a hand written letter is our first option, which is what we are doing. Who do we send it to?

I am still pretty angry over the whole situation still, but not to the extent that I would consider not going, and the tickets were a gift, so its not actually my money, but thats not the point at all.

Any names, addresses etc we should try? That £120 would makes some nice spending money on our trip.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sent a letter off to ScotRail head office today, with the postal strike god only knows when it will get there!

whoosh

Established Member
Its just where we go from here, a hand written letter is our first option, which is what we are doing. Who do we send it to?

I am still pretty angry over the whole situation still, but not to the extent that I would consider not going, and the tickets were a gift, so its not actually my money, but thats not the point at all.

Any names, addresses etc we should try? That £120 would makes some nice spending money on our trip.

I think 'Watchdog' would be very interested in this story. I think you should be refunded the £120 that you wouldn't have spent if ScotRail's booking system had been working properly. There is no reassurance from the correspondence with the company that this won't happen again, only that it has 'been logged' with the Web Support Manager. This is a wishy-washy apology, and not good enough.

The rail fare being a gift from someone to you is not worth mentioning, as it adds unnecessary complication to the story. It's £120 of SOMEONE'S money that ScotRail have, which it only has due to a fault with it's booking system.

Good luck. I believe you should get the £120 back, have been treated badly, and I think this is a story that could very well be taken up by the media.

In short, you should push for this, and not put it down to bad luck. It's a lot of money that they shouldn't have.

I think 'Watchdog' would be very interested in this story. I think you should be refunded the £120 that you wouldn't have spent if ScotRail's booking system had been working properly. There is no reassurance from the correspondence with the company that this won't happen again, only that it has 'been logged' with the Web Support Manager. This is a wishy-washy apology, and not good enough.

The rail fare being a gift from someone to you is not worth mentioning, as it adds unnecessary complication to the story. It's £120 of SOMEONE'S money that ScotRail have, which it only has due to a fault with it's booking system.

Good luck. I believe you should get the £120 back, have been treated badly, and I think this is a story that could very well be taken up by the media.

In short, you should push for this, and not put it down to bad luck. It's a lot of money that they shouldn't have.

Thanks for that, My partner has sent a hand written letter to the ScotRail head office, so we will give it a week and see if we get anything back, we will start to contact other people if we are not satisfied with what we get.

Thanks again, CSK

djw1981

Established Member
This may be a situation where booking sleeper tickets with the call centre is a better idea than online. The call centre can see all prices and the FSR team are (often) more familiar with the prices than most punters, so they can advise on the cheapest way to do things.

unless going for bargain berths i dont see any advantage of booking online. Its quick and easy over the phone and you can be more specific about berths and availability. As long as you get your £120 back in some form even vouchers then at least you know in future not to book on the web.

This may be a situation where booking sleeper tickets with the call centre is a better idea than online. The call centre can see all prices and the FSR team are (often) more familiar with the prices than most punters, so they can advise on the cheapest way to do things.

Thats fair enough, but the fact is their website was wrong, and it cost me £120, and there is no saying that this would not happen to anyone else, and to be honest, whats the point in the website booking system if its not right? I have always booked my advanced tickets online and never had a problem before, its quick and easy to do, and why should I have to pay for a phone call?
unless going for bargain berths i dont see any advantage of booking online. Its quick and easy over the phone and you can be more specific about berths and availability. As long as you get your £120 back in some form even vouchers then at least you know in future not to book on the web.

Again, as I have just mentioned, whats the point in the online booking system if it is not right, if ScotRail are advising people to use the phone ordering instead of the website is that not just saying the website does not work properly?

Also, as mentioned before, I always book online and have never had a problem.

Thanks for the support and I will keep you informed on ScotRails reply to our letter, To be honest, at the most I am only expecting vouchers, but what use are ScotRail vouchers when I live in Nottingham?

Anyway, will see what happens............

CSK

Last edited:

A60K

Vouchers are generally Rail Travel Vouchers, issued by the TOC concerned and valid for payment for any rail travel, even, I think, for on-board purchases.

f you get vouchers they will be vaild on ant TOC i got some earlier this year. Its just one of those unfortunate things that happen every now and then..im sure you will resolve it with Scotrail. Its just dissapointing that the refund process takes ages to go through making re-booking your tickets a problem. Hope you get a good outcome anyway

EltonRoad

The fact is that the system is flawed. There are two full-fare Standard fares (£100 & £149) and two full-fare First Class fares (£136 & £184), but it doesn't say this anywhere, not even on the fares pages. You are only offered a railcard discount off the £149 and £184 fares, however the other two fares remain cheaper, even without a discount. The only way of knowing whether they are still available is to go back and book without using the railcard, but why would anyone even think to do that?

It's a system that benefits them, and it needs changing. You should be refunded the £120, and not in rail vouchers either.

f you get vouchers they will be vaild on ant TOC i got some earlier this year. Its just one of those unfortunate things that happen every now and then..im sure you will resolve it with Scotrail. Its just dissapointing that the refund process takes ages to go through making re-booking your tickets a problem. Hope you get a good outcome anyway

Thanks for that, The vouchers wouldn't be a bad thing as I am planning a weekend in London for my partners birthday, so that should cover a nice first class ride with Wrexham & Shropshire, but the cash would be just as nice!

Will keep you all posted on developments.

Have you tried Passenger Focus? They're very good usually

They are the first people on my list, once we get a reply from ScotRail head office, if we are not happy that is!

Cheers though,

CSK
Just to keep you up to date with our little adventure story, there has been positive progress.

Thanks mainly to fellow forum member EltonRoad and his contact with Barry Doe. I have had a message from Steve Montgomery, The MD of ScotRail, instructing me to contact him and he will arrange the appropiate refund.

Just to quote the main point of the e-mail.......

'We have two tiers of Sleeper fares in both First and Standard Class and the Railcard discounts are offered on both levels of Sleeper Single fares. We therefore took this matter up with our on-line booking supplier (The Trainline.com). They have since confirmed that there was a fault with their systems. This will be rectified as quickly as possible.'

...... needless to say we are both delighted that this is being sorted out, a shame it has had to go to the very top, through various people, but it has got the outcome we deserved. Awaiting contact from ScotRail to sort out a refund in the difference in ticket prices we lost out on, (almost £120), and also Steve has stated that if we have no contact before the end of next week then I should contact him and he will chase it up.

Im chuffed.

Pint owed to EltonRoad, I can't thank him enough, I will leave it open for him to cover how he got this sorted for me should he so wish?

Who needs Watchdog?

CSK

djw1981

Established Member
I really wish First would switch from giving money top trainline and their annoying owner. The Atos platform for NXEC is great (and about to enter it's third franchisee!) I hope that DfT keep it on.

tony_mac

Established Member
From dealing with First before (Transpennine), emailing is of no use whatsoever; I only ever got canned responses from somebody who had barely scanned my emails.

It was only when I wrote to them that I got a lucid response from somebody who actually understood what I was saying (I think it was 10 emails prior to that - not a single sensible response)

Regarding the sleeper - you are also unable to get 16-25 railcard discounts on their berths online.
They also don't even show the undiscounted price for advance or 'sleeper standard single' if you have selected a railcard - so you will end up paying a lot more if you buy with a railcard online.
The date I picked had £59 for advance, £100 for 'sleeper standard single'.
If you add a railcard then the cheapest berth is now £134.10 (for 'sleeper standard single' with railcard discount).
I emailed them about this some time ago, nothing has changed.

The problem that I had with transpennine they apparently discussed with thetrainline well over a year ago; again, they haven't fixed it.

Just to let you all know, today I received an e-mail from ScotRail MD Steve Montgomery confirming the matter has been followed up with thetrainline.com and they have advised them that the fault has now been rectified (I am yet to check) and that upon confirming my full postal address, he will send me a cheque for £118.40, the difference between the fair I paid and the railcard discount tickets I should have received.

Needless to say im overjoyed.

Id just like to thank EltonRoad for his help in this matter, and everyone else for your advice and help with where to take this matter. Im glad to say that we had to take it no further.

Thanks again

CSK

EltonRoad

The fault has not been rectified. I've just gone back to scotrail.co.uk and tried it again. Pretty pathetic, really.

Very glad you got the refund.

I sent an email to Barry Doe a couple of weeks ago, and included in the email were details of CSK's dilemma. I used it as an example to highlight the error in the ScotRail booking engine when booking Sleeper tickets with a Disabled (or any other) Railcard.

Barry Doe replied within 2 hours saying he was going to take it to ScotRail's MD and get back to me. Evidently he did exactly this, and emailed me again a few days ago with a reply from the MD, and a reference number for CSK to quote, whereby he would personally arrange a refund.

Shame, then, that thetrainline says the error's been fixed when clearly it hasn't. I might email again.

The fault has not been rectified. I've just gone back to scotrail.co.uk and tried it again. Pretty pathetic, really.

Very glad you got the refund.

I sent an email to Barry Doe a couple of weeks ago, and included in the email were details of CSK's dilemma. I used it as an example to highlight the error in the ScotRail booking engine when booking Sleeper tickets with a Disabled (or any other) Railcard.

Barry Doe replied within 2 hours saying he was going to take it to ScotRail's MD and get back to me. Evidently he did exactly this, and emailed me again a few days ago with a reply from the MD, and a reference number for CSK to quote, whereby he would personally arrange a refund.

Shame, then, that thetrainline says the error's been fixed when clearly it hasn't. I might email again.

I think ScotRail's MD would be interested to know that the problem has still not been sorted, and I'm sure Barry Doe would to. Its a shame the problem is still there, but I guess its a Trainline problem, ScotRail seem to have told them of the problem and they have just brushed it under the carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.