• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Industrial Relations issues (including conductor strike action)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Would think you would need to pay the City link fare. Remember to leave earlier since it takes longer. Then try for an LNER refund. If it was a Scotrail train then it would be a Scotrail refund. Depends who you buy your ticket from.

Since there's only one train from Glasgow to LNER destinations and it leaves early morning and doesn't run on a Sunday it probably would be a ScotRail refund for the bus.

If it's this weekend trains are very busy. So probably why fares are expensive. The Glasgow to Edinburgh doesn't run this Monday with work at Carstairs taking place. It starts from Edinburgh. Some cross Country trains still running via Shotts.

Can back this. Avanti services would be busy with people from Scotland heading towards the likes of Manchester as TPE are running a very limited Glasgow service. Yesterdays Liverpool TPE service was very heavily loaded.

Scotrail strikes are wreaking havoc on Sundays and it's not good.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leisurefirst

Thanks for your replies and advice.
Sounded out LNER just now and bizarrely told that it was ending (the industrial action) this weekend so I should be OK for July and that if not Scotrail would have a replacement bus (which is patently not the case according to Scotrail!)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Thanks for your replies and advice.
Sounded out LNER just now and bizarrely told that it was ending (the industrial action) this weekend so I should be OK for July and that if not Scotrail would have a replacement bus (which is patently not the case according to Scotrail!)

I wouldn't rely on LNER to give you information regarding the strikes. Your best bet would be to ask Scotrail.

If this is anything to go by, the RMT look to be wanting to push this out for as long as possible.

Train conductors, who work across the rest of the ScotRail network, have walked out on Sundays since March 28, which the RMT said could continue until September.
RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said: “RMT ScotRail ticket examiners will be taking strike action again this Sunday and every Sunday for the next two months in their fight for workplace justice and parity between grades.
"Our conductor members are also fully prepared to keep this battle for equality going until the company do the right thing.
“It is a kick in the teeth for these workers that despite their commitment throughout the Covid-19 pandemic Transport Scotland continues to wage war on essential workers who have kept Scotland’s rail services running.

Leisurefirst

I wouldn't rely on LNER to give you information regarding the strikes. Your best bet would be to ask Scotrail.

If this is anything to go by, the RMT look to be wanting to push this out for as long as possible.
Absolutely.
I called them just to check that they would carry us on a later service if we (inevitably) missed the booked one.
Answer yes if necessary but would need to make a new reservation. (Not sure what happens if the next few trains are booked up.
Think we'll probably end up on the last one crawling in to King's Cross. :(

Absolutely.
I called them just to check that they would carry us on a later service if we (inevitably) missed the booked one.
Answer yes if necessary but would need to make a new reservation. (Not sure what happens if the next few trains are booked up.
Think we'll probably end up on the last one crawling in to King's Cross. :(
July is right in the middle of Scotland holidays. So would book the tickets now. They should be on the system now. If you miseed the train at Edinburgh and LNER are still wanting compulsory booking of services it's not impossible for the next trains to be booked out. So would make sure you get there in time for your reserved service

Was looking at services for this weekend earlier and many trains fully booked for a number of hours. So best not left to chance.

Leisurefirst

Just called Scotrail.
It was obviously a non-UK call centre.
First question "is that Charing Cross London..."
That would be some commendable effort to get from that Charing Cross to King's Cross via Edinburgh.
I think you can guess how helpful that call was.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Hoping this does not go much longer. I started a job that involves as sunday shift and train is my only option really, unless a taxi.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hoping this does not go much longer. I started a job that involves as sunday shift and train is my only option really, unless a taxi.
Given the financial implications, i.e it is probably reducing operating losses to have the staff on strike, and the staff are probably not extremely unhappy with the relatively small pay reduction as quid pro quo of slightly fewer hours working, there is no imperative for a change here. To put it another way it looks unlikely to be resolved soon. The Union demand for a premium rate of overtime is overwhelmingly unlikely to be met. The disparity may well end however if the drivers' agreement expires.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Given the financial implications, i.e it is probably reducing operating losses to have the staff on strike, and the staff are probably not extremely unhappy with the relatively small pay reduction as quid pro quo of slightly fewer hours working, there is no imperative for a change here. To put it another way it looks unlikely to be resolved soon. The Union demand for a premium rate of overtime is overwhelmingly unlikely to be met. The disparity may well end however if the drivers' agreement expires.

Though I'd imagine the buses would be winning with the amount of passengers turning away from the railway and going for the buses.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The agreement was that the enhanced overtime rate would end when all vacancies were filled and there was no theoretical need for overtime. That has happened in the RMT grades, lots of new guards and TEs all trained up and working. There are no vacancies. For the drivers although the recruitment has happened to achieve this the training stopped due to 2 people not being permitted in a cab. Once all the trainees are qualified the drivers additional payment will end as well, but that's not likely in the near future due to the huge backlog. I suspect the RMT didn't think the company would actually fill all the vacancies as they have traditionally relied on overtime but they have, and the payment stopped as agreed.

Wolfie

Established Member
Whilst this is correct, legally speaking, there are ongoing threads on this forum and a plethora of individual cases both here and on social media to suggest that many retailers will be all too happy to reject your refund claim if they change the timetable between booking and travel, on the grounds that the train doesn't exist so therefore they can't check the running data. It sounds even more absurd when you write it down doesn't it.
County court it is then. Let them spin their BS to a judge... That'll go well for them...

Scotrail314209

Established Member
From what I've seen yes. The RMT have traditionally "piggybacked" drivers agreements. Whatever ASLEF got they got. However ASLEF have excluded RMT from recent talks and they don't like it. For example drivers got a 2 year pay rise last year based on giving up safety briefings. Instead of 6 days a year in a classroom drivers now work trains 6 days a year more driving, and have to read safety briefs in their own time. (at home, on a break whenever). The RMT didn't want to give that up for their members but then started going on about "parity" with drivers. They wanted the pay rise but not give up briefings for it. Look at it how you will but each to their own opinion.

So they are basically inconveniencing passengers because they aren't very happy with ASLEF?

Scotrail84

Established Member
Just called Scotrail.
It was obviously a non-UK call centre.

First question "is that Charing Cross London..."
That would be some commendable effort to get from that Charing Cross to King's Cross via Edinburgh.
I think you can guess how helpful that call was.

To my knowledge, Scotrail's Customer Service call centre is in a purpose built place in Fort William so the above either didn't happen, or you phoned National Rail Enquiries or similar travel information phone number

scotraildriver

Established Member
To my knowledge, Scotrail's Customer Service call centre is in a purpose built place in Fort William so the above either didn't happen, or you phoned National Rail Enquiries or similar travel information phone number
It moved to Glasgow in 2019 but is still here. Definitely Scotland.

Leisurefirst

I looked on Scotrail's website, where they don't seem to want to give you a telephone number very easily so I Googled "Scotrail telephone number" or suchlike. It came up with 03448110141 which I called and got a number of recorded options given by a lady with a Scottish accent mentioning Scotrail. The most applicable seemed number 1 which put me through to a real person with an Indian accent whose lack of knowledge of anything I mentioned made it clear she was probably not in Scotland.
But thanks for suggesting I am a liar, try it yourself perhaps to make sure.

Last edited:

I see the RMT have announced ticket examiners strikes for the next few weeks but I’m struggling to see about conductor strike dates. What’s the latest ?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Is there any chance that the RMT will eventually realise that we left the era of pointless industrial action some decades ago?

Journeyman

Established Member
I looked on Scotrail's website, where they don't seem to want to give you a telephone number very easily so I Googled "Scotrail telephone number" or suchlike. It came up with 03448110141 which I called and got a number of recorded options given by a lady with a Scottish accent mentioning Scotrail. The most applicable seemed number 1 which put me through to a real person with an Indian accent whose lack of knowledge of anything I mentioned made it clear she was probably not in Scotland.
But thanks for suggesting I am a liar, try it yourself perhaps to make sure.
There are people in Glasgow with Indian accents.

Most Indian call centres are closed at the moment due to COVID. When I phoned British Airways last week, I got someone in the UK, which doesn't normally happen.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Though I'd imagine the buses would be winning with the amount of passengers turning away from the railway and going for the buses.
Indeed. The bus service in the central belt and across much of the rest of Scotland is definitely in the position where it can accommodate nearly all of the railway's market.

Carlisle

Established Member
Most Indian call centres are closed at the moment due to COVID. When I phoned British Airways last week, I got someone in the UK, which doesn't normally happen.
Wouldn’t a significant number of these type of jobs currently be preformed by people working from home ?

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
Indeed. The bus service in the central belt and across much of the rest of Scotland is definitely in the position where it can accommodate nearly all of the railway's market.
Unfortunately, that's very true, which is why the RMT are very squarely shooting themselves in the foot here.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, that's very true, which is why the RMT are very squarely shooting themselves in the foot here.
Indeed. My post ought have read "the railway's Sunday market", but as you intimate it's able to bring in some extra capacity more easily than the railway can and isn't actually that far away on other days of the week too.

If the Sunday services look like they'll be withdrawn long-term, the bus industry will be able to invest to expand slightly too.

robbeech

Established Member
County court it is then. Let them spin their BS to a judge... That'll go well for them...
Last time I agreed with and referred to a post made by @Tazi Hupefi i got at least 3 messages asking me if I had been hacked, but i feel it is fairly accurate when they suggest that this is unlikely to go in your favour either. When the passenger is "always" wrong, the passenger is always wrong. That signal ALWAYS clears.
So they are basically inconveniencing passengers because they aren't very happy with ASLEF?
inconvenience to passengers isn't inconvenience.
I think a few people are prematurely ruling out the possibility that the people paid to help passengers haven't got a damn clue what they're doing and have next to zero knowledge in helping passengers, at least with this particular question.

Journeyman

Established Member
Indeed. My post ought have read "the railway's Sunday market", but as you intimate it's able to bring in some extra capacity more easily than the railway can and isn't actually that far away on other days of the week too.

If the Sunday services look like they'll be withdrawn long-term, the bus industry will be able to invest to expand slightly too.
Certainly if it goes on too long, people will automatically assume it's no good even attempting to travel by train on a Sunday, and a big chunk of the leisure market will be lost for good.

Wolfie

Established Member
Is there any chance that the RMT will eventually realise that we left the era of pointless industrial action some decades ago?
"Pointless" to you apparently means not in accordance with your economic and political beliefs. Your view on industrial relations is that staff should accept BOHICA....

Robertj21a

On Moderation
"Pointless" to you apparently means not in accordance with your economic and political beliefs. Your view on industrial relations is that staff should accept BOHICA....
You make a lot of assumptions without knowing my reasoning!
In any event, I doubt you will find many people who would understand the RMT reasoning for a whole host of things. Their approach is so 1980s to be utterly laughable.
........but we're now off topic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.