• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Santa Expresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat67

Established Member
ScotRail are running Santa Express services this year on three consecutive Saturdays in December. One running Edinburgh-Boat of Garten on the Strathspey Railway. And the other two around the loop over the Forth rail bridge. Info can be found on the ScotRail website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NORMAN471

ScotRail are running Santa Express services this year on three consecutive Saturdays in December. One running Edinburgh-Boat of Garten on the Strathspey Railway. And the other two around the loop over the Forth rail bridge. Info can be found on the ScotRail website.
Unfortunately all three trains are showing fully booked, but you can join the waiting list.
https://www.branchline.uk/fixture.php

Kite159

Veteran Member
Unfortunately all three trains are showing fully booked, but you can join the waiting list.
https://www.branchline.uk/fixture.php

I can understand the one to Boat to Garten being popular (especially as it does the connection south of Aviemore) but I'm surprised that the Fife circle ones have sold out rapido. (Unless it's people booking on it to do a HST at the top part of the Fife circle as I believe the evening peak HST terminates midway round

D6130

Established Member
I can understand the one to Boat to Garten being popular (especially as it does the connection south of Aviemore) but I'm surprised that the Fife circle ones have sold out rapido. (Unless it's people booking on it to do a HST at the top part of the Fife circle as I believe the evening peak HST terminates midway round
....or maybe it's just normals wanting to give their kids a Christmas treat after last year's short notice cancellation of festivities by Bojo and his jolly chums, not to mention the rest of the Covid crap that they've had to put up with for the last year-and-a-half.

Skymonster

Established Member
Anyone unable to book need not worry: based on recent form the trains won‘t run at the proposed times, the routes will be shortened, a old white haired bearded man in dressed red won’t be on board (if he was the look would be ruined by him wearing a mask anyway) and festive celebration while en route will be prohinited.

Mainline421

There are regularly diagrammed HSTs on the Fife Circle?

There are regularly diagrammed HSTs on the Fife Circle?
Yes the evening Cardenden service is booked for an HST.

When Cadder opens there’ll be one running the full circle from Edinburgh to Edinburgh on the other former 68 diagram too

Crewe Exile

I’m sorry if I’m being ignorant but is it usual for a train provider such as Scot Rail to run Santa Specials?. I always thought such things were operated on heritage lines and were a welcome source of income for them. Be a shame if the regular operating companies were to encroach on this.

cakefiend

It's a special for families, not track bashers. Would be a shame if such a nice idea was ruined by gricers booking all the space up.

Established Member
I’m sorry if I’m being ignorant but is it usual for a train provider such as Scot Rail to run Santa Specials?. I always thought such things were operated on heritage lines and were a welcome source of income for them. Be a shame if the regular operating companies were to encroach on this.
East Midlands Trains ran a couple of 'Santa Specials'. Started off on a 4 car 156 but then expanded to a HST and 2 Santa's! I believe everyone on the train was invited rather than being able to book like the Scot Rail ones.

LowLevel

Established Member
They've been running for years on and off in various forms, even BR used to do it. East Midlands Trains used to invite local disadvantaged or ill kids to travel and the staff volunteered their time to operate/work on the train. They've run out of Norwich and Nottingham.

Iskra

Established Member
It's a special for families, not track bashers. Would be a shame if such a nice idea was ruined by gricers booking all the space up.
I did a WCRC Santa Express on a full length train a couple of years back. There were a few enthusiasts plus couples without kids on it, mainly attracted by the price- £35 for double headed steam over Shap with a hotpot lunch thrown in could hardly be turned down.

The Scotrail HST has half the capacity and is double the price so I doubt it’s going to be swamped with enthusiasts. Of course, they are quite entitled to sell tickets to familes only or invent some form of booking supplement system for single occupants or those without kids if they wished, but they haven’t, so it seems they aren’t overly concerned…

John Bishop

The Strathspey Railway aren’t operating their Santa express this year which is quite surprising. They seem to be providing all the entertainment for the passengers from Aviemore to Boat of Garten though.

Status
Not open for further replies.