• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail selling tickets LNER won't sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
" you have a place reserved but not a specific seat" ? We can discuss it with someone on Monday.

Why are counted places being issued for walk up tickets when the compulsory flag is not set on? This shouldn't happen at all.

They are actively misleading because they imply carriage on that service is guaranteed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Why are counted places being issued for walk up tickets when the compulsory flag is not set on? This shouldn't happen at all.

They are actively misleading because they imply carriage on that service is guaranteed.
Understand your comments but I don’t see how we could set the system to not offer a reservation in only this case, when we would want to for genuine seat reservations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Understand your comments but I don’t see how we could set the system to not offer a reservation in only this case, when we would want to for genuine seat reservations.

Most retail systems do not appear to offer a counted place for walk up tickets. I don't think I have ever had one in that context.

But the logic seems dead easy to me.

IF reservations compulsory on chosen train OR ticket type is Advance:
- Issue reservation
ELSE IF user has requested reservation on walk up ticket on non compulsory reservation train
- Grab reservation
- IF reservation is a counted place
-- Cancel reservation and display message to user that reservations are not available
- ELSE
-- Issue specific seat reservation
ELSE
- Do not issue reservation as it is not compulsory and the user has not asked for it

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
- IF reservation is a counted place
-- Cancel reservation and display message to user that reservations are not available
The problem is that they are available, even if they don't make sense. Unless the logic was implemented industry-wide it'll just lead to endless "Why did A offer me a reservation but B said they weren't available" questions.

The message should be "This ticket is valid on other trains, no reservation is necessary. Are you sure you want to request a reservation?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.