• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail services in the Tyne Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
Which Tyne Valley line services are operated by Scotrail? Are they all booked for 156s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Mordac

Established Member
None are operated by Scotrail in reality. However online systems may show them as operated by whichever company operates the first part of the service.

Can you explain? Is it just that Northern staff change with Scotrail staff at Carlisle? In that case, rephrase my question to which ones are operated with Scotrail stock. :)

Liam

Established Member
Can you explain? Is it just that Northern staff change with Scotrail staff at Carlisle? In that case, rephrase my question to which ones are operated with Scotrail stock. :)

Yes. Scotrail staff operate the service North of Carlisle, Northern operate it East of Carlisle. Anything originating or terminating at Dumfries or Glasgow Central will be a Scotrail 156.

Last edited:

Adam0984

The 0618 Dumfries to Newcastle is a Northern crew and unit throughout

SeanG

Note that at Newcastle these trains are advertised as Barrhead. Not sure of a reciprical arrangement at Glasgow Central

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
IIRC the 0618 and 0743 Dumfries-Newcastle are operated by Northern units. It's a Scotrail crew Dumfries-Carlisle and then a Northern crew from there.

The trains at Newcastle are advertised for Glasgow Central via Carlisle, not Barrhead.

SeanG

The trains at Newcastle are advertised for Glasgow Central via Carlisle, not Barrhead.

Have to disagree there - 100% was advertised as Barrhead last Tuesday morning and has been before.
Of course, it could be done as both, or swap around

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
They used to be advertised for Barrhead, which always made more sense, but when I've been there recently it's been Glasgow Central via Carlisle. Not been down there for a week or two at the right time, so might well have changed back again.

The 4th Rail

Can confirm the 13:23 today is being advertised as Barrhead.
I believe at Glasgow Central they are advertised as Newcastle via Kilmarnock, feel free to correct me though.

sarahj

Established Member
Many moons ago I used to commute on what is now 1S73, the 17.16. This was in the late 80's and ran to Girvan. Often thought it was an odd place to go to. There was a trolley on it as well. Having a 156 was much better than the pacers on the other services, or even for a limited time, a 47 and some mk1/mk2's on a train that left around 16.20 ish, when the gear box issues on the pacers got very bad.

And back in the day when you could buy a book of tickets.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Many moons ago I used to commute on what is now 1S73, the 17.16. This was in the late 80's and ran to Girvan. Often thought it was an odd place to go to. There was a trolley on it as well. Having a 156 was much better than the pacers on the other services, or even for a limited time, a 47 and some mk1/mk2's on a train that left around 16.20 ish, when the gear box issues on the pacers got very bad.

And back in the day when you could buy a book of tickets.

Thanks - I thought that in the dim and distant past ( aka 1980's) one of these services went from Newcastle to Girvan/Ayr/Stranraer and one to Irvine - perhaps it is my mind making things up - i am sure one of the mwas given a name like the Ayrshire trader or something equally silly for an orange sprinter train!

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
Thanks - I thought that in the dim and distant past ( aka 1980's) one of these services went from Newcastle to Girvan/Ayr/Stranraer and one to Irvine - perhaps it is my mind making things up - i am sure one of the mwas given a name like the Ayrshire trader or something equally silly for an orange sprinter train!

Yup, a couple went to Stranraer and mine went to Girvan. A couple were orange, but mine was mainly in regional colours (sometimes with a scot rail branding), and yes, I remember the 'Ayrshire Trader'.

markydh

It remains to be seen whether or not this arrangement of operational convenience continues once the Tyne Valley timetables are recast in 2018 or 19.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The summer 1992 timetable gives the following titles for the Newcastle - Scotland Regional Railways services, Monday to Saturday:

Galloway Enterprise: 12:38 Newcastle - Stranraer
Ayrshire Trader: 17:10 Newcastle - Girvan

Tyne Trader: Girvan - Newcastle (arr. 10:56)
Tyne Enterprise: Stranraer - Newcastle (arr. 15:51)
The Borderer: 15:48 Glasgow Central - Newcastle (arr. 19:59)

The early morning Newcastle - Glasgow Central doesn't seem to have been named at this time, though by the summer 1995 timetable did carry the reciprocal "The Borderer" name, and also started from Sunderland, at 6am.

The orange Strathclyde PTE 156s were certainly a regular sight stabled in one of the west end bays at Newcastle during the middle of the day between these workings.

Last edited:

Liam

Established Member
The summer 1992 timetable gives the following titles for the Newcastle - Scotland Regional Railways services, Monday to Saturday:

Galloway Enterprise: 12:38 Newcastle - Stranrear

Tyne Enterprise: Stranrear - Newcastle (arr. 15:51)

The early morning Newcastle - Glasgow Central doesn't seem to have been named at this time, though by the summer 1995 timetable did carry the reciprocal "The Borderer" name, and also started from Sunderland, at 6am.

The orange Strathclyde PTE 156s were certainly a regular sight stabled in one of the west end bays at Newcastle during the middle of the day between these workings.

It's Stranraer. :)

gray1404

Established Member
The Scotrail units on the route Glasgow - Carlisle - Newcastle are nice as well! Fresh feel to them. I would choose one of the to sit in any day over an old Northern unit.

bramling

Veteran Member
The Scotrail units on the route Glasgow - Carlisle - Newcastle are nice as well! Fresh feel to them. I would choose one of the to sit in any day over an old Northern unit.

The other benefit is these services are guaranteed not to be a Pacer. Not that I mind Pacers from a comfort point of view, especially the Northern Spirit versions, but the 156 has more capacity.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Ironic, really, that the Scotrail 156s still have the original Ashbourne seating in whilst the Northern units were fully refurbished with new Richmond seats in the late 90s.

The main advantage of the through trains is that you're guaranteed not to get a Pacer.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Galloway Enterprise: 12:38 Newcastle - Stranraer

Tyne Enterprise: Stranraer - Newcastle (arr. 15:51)

thanks for the detailed information - i didn't imagine it!

Status
Not open for further replies.