• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Services to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Hi all,
I am sure this has been discussed at some point previously but I thought I would try and get some clarity.

1E97 (ScotRail 156) originates from Glasgow Central and runs via Dumfries and Carlisle to Newcastle.
I noticed that this is definitely crewed by Northern but is this service operated by Northern or ScotRail? or does it change?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi all,
I am sure this has been discussed at some point previously but I thought I would try and get some clarity.

1E97 (ScotRail 156) originates from Glasgow Central and runs via Dumfries and Carlisle to Newcastle.
I noticed that this is definitely crewed by Northern but is this service operated by Northern or ScotRail? or does it change?

Thanks.
AFAIK Northern take over at Carlisle

SeanG

There are a number of threads on this one, but to summarise:

Northern service from Newcastle - Carlisle, crewed by Northern staff.
Scotrail service Carlisle - Glasgow, crewed by Scotrail staff.

In essence the Scotrail unit is borrowed by Northern east of Carlisle.

Interesting to note that the service is advertised as to Barhill at Newcastle, but to Glasgow Central from Metrocentre onwards. In the south/east direction, the service is advertised as to Newcastle throughout.

The service used to go to Stranraer rather than Glasgow, but this was changed when the ferries moved to Cairnryan.

Gathursty

Established Member

Interesting to note that the service is advertised as to Barhill at Newcastle, but to Glasgow Central from Metrocentre onwards. In the south/east direction, the service is advertised as to Newcastle throughout.

The service used to go to Stranraer rather than Glasgow, but this was changed when the ferries moved to Cairnryan.
Don't you mean Barrhead and not Barrhill?

Failed Unit

Established Member

Probably to stop people mistaking it for the cross country direct services. Common on may routes, Cambridge slow from Kings Cross = Foxton. Peterborough - Doncaster via Lincoln shown as Gainsborough Lea Road etc.

newtownmgr

I believe Carlisle Northern crews also work some services to/from Dumfries, or at least used to.Northern sets also go to Dumfries in the morning as a 4 car & split. Returning with a Newcastle & Carlisle service respectively

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Thanks.
Realtime trains actually deals with this quite well nowadays:
Note that at the top of the detailed view it says operated by Scotrail and Northern, and under the entry for Carlisle it adds “Northern operates service from here”.

If you look at individual stations it shows “SR” as far as Gretna, then “NT” from Carlisle.

IIRC open data feeds didn’t cope with this very well a few years ago, and whichever TOC was responsible at the start carried on being shown all the way through.

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
1E97 is crewed and operated by ScotRail between Glasgow and Carlisle, crewed and operated by Northern between Carlisle and Newcastle.

The morning Dumfries - Newcastle services that use Northern 156s are operated by ScotRail between Dumfries and Carlisle, but crewed by Northern throughout. Before their withdrawal it wasn't unheard of for 142s to venture to Dumfries on those services, despite not actually being route cleared.

There is now no corresponding west/northbound service to 1E97 at all. The ScotRail unit returns to Carlisle as 1N50 06:20 Newcastle - Carlisle, then continues as 1L50 08:08 Carlisle - Glasgow Central. Although two seperate services, in practice you can usually remain on the train at Carlisle.

A second ScotRail 156 ventures to Newcastle each day. This works 1N56 07:41 Dumfries - Newcastle (operated and crewed by ScotRail west of Carlisle, Northern east of Carlisle). The unit then stables in Newcastle station during the day, before working 2N27 17:23 Newcastle - Carlisle and 1L73 19:20 Carlisle - Glasgow Central.

IIRC open data feeds didn’t cope with this very well a few years ago, and whichever TOC was responsible at the start carried on being shown all the way through.
Realtimetrains implemented a different method of showing it correctly - the open data still doesn't show it well, and the automated station announcements still announce 1E97 as a ScotRail service at Carlisle and stations on the Tyne Valley.

Lemmy99uk

On a historical note, it was even more complex in the early days of privatisation.

The 06:43 (I think) from Carlisle to Dumfries was formed off the first arrival from Workington. That resulted in a Northern Sprit train crew working a First NorthWestern unit on a Scotrail service!

snookertam

Neither NR Scotland or ScotRail have established the concept of advertising services short of their destination. They also advertise Edinburgh/Glasgow Queen Street stopping services to their destination throughout, despite being much slower than the main shuttle service serving much of the same route.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
1E97
[…]
Realtimetrains implemented a different method of showing it correctly - the open data still doesn't show it well, and the automated station announcements still announce 1E97 as a ScotRail service at Carlisle and stations on the Tyne Valley.
Ah, that’s interesting, so RTT are ahead of the game on this?

DanNCL

Established Member
Ah, that’s interesting, so RTT are ahead of the game on this?
Indeed they are, though I’m not sure exactly what it is they did to get it to show correctly.
I believe the through services between Glasgow/Dumfries and Newcastle are the last remaining services in the UK to change operator en-route, which would explain the apparent lack of effort from the rail industry to sort it out on the data system.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Indeed they are, though I’m not sure exactly what it is they did to get it to show correctly.
I believe the through services between Glasgow/Dumfries and Newcastle are the last remaining services in the UK to change operator en-route, which would explain the apparent lack of effort from the rail industry to sort it out on the data system.
Depends on exactly what is in the open data, but if it's anything like what is in the actual timetable data, it should make any change of schedule header en-route pretty clear.

Anvil1984

Established Member

This hasn't happened in at least a year (possibly 2 now). The two services which use Scotrail units in the Glasgow direction are advertised as separate Newcastle to Carlisle and Carlisle to Glasgow services with different headcodes

Towards Newcastle there are two services from Dumfries and one from Glasgow which are advertised through trains

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
Neither NR Scotland or ScotRail have established the concept of advertising services short of their destination. They also advertise Edinburgh/Glasgow Queen Street stopping services to their destination throughout, despite being much slower than the main shuttle service serving much of the same route.
Unless things have changed, Glasgow Central to Euston via Birmingham services are displayed as Euston. I'm sure some London passengers with open tickets get on the wrong train.

Lemmy99uk

Unless things have changed, Glasgow Central to Euston via Birmingham services are displayed as Euston. I'm sure some London passengers with open tickets get on the wrong train.
Well, they might get on a ‘slower’ train but I’m not sure it’s a ‘wrong’ train.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Principally because the 2-alpha TOC code is part of the Retail Service ID (RSID) used in the reservations system. The TOC-code has to remain with the train throughout its journey to retain the integrity of the RSID.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Principally because the 2-alpha TOC code is part of the Retail Service ID (RSID) used in the reservations system. The TOC-code has to remain with the train throughout its journey to retain the integrity of the RSID.
Yes, that makes sense as well. I suppose the question is why it’s only eastbound services that run as a single ID, it seems from post #14 that westbounds are split into 2 train IDs across Carlisle. Presumably on those you get two separate reservations, and you’re advised by staff to stay with the train at Carlisle?

Anvil1984

Established Member
Yes, that makes sense as well. I suppose the question is why it’s only eastbound services that run as a single ID, it seems from post #14 that westbounds are split into 2 train IDs across Carlisle. Presumably on those you get two separate reservations, and you’re advised by staff to stay with the train at Carlisle?

Not necessarily. Reservations aren't possible on either of these services unless there's a random "counted place" reservation in place for the Northern section of the journey. On the evening service it depends on the relieving crew as there's a 20 minute wait at Carlisle and is booked for the Northern crew to shut the unit down, in reality 90% of the time the Scotrail crew get to the train early and no issues

Tom

Change of operators isn't a particularly hard thing to handle - and as noted the change en-route (CR?) header gives the only bit of information required to do it properly. RTT only does it once the schedule is created for the day from memory (unless I've expanded it and can't remember) as I've never updated the database logic for future services to handle.
It shouldn't be hard to handle this while carrying through the RSID throughout. Just carry through the prime TOC code from the schedule and track a different operating TOC code (this is effectively how RTT handles it)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It shouldn't be hard to handle this while carrying through the RSID throughout. Just carry through the prime TOC code from the schedule and track a different operating TOC code (this is effectively how RTT handles it)
The CER of operator causes most booking engines to refuse to sell tickets like these!

GLC

Neither NR Scotland or ScotRail have established the concept of advertising services short of their destination.
One small exception however, are Cathcart Circle trains, for which the advertised destination is Cathcart, despite the full route's destination being Glasgow Central

Status
Not open for further replies.