• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Driver Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lengthman

Oldage, have you heard anything else?
Last bit of info I had was start date 25/04/11 with contracts to be issued soon.
Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oldagefanclub

Last bit of info I had was start date 25/04/11 with contracts to be issued soon.
Cheers

Hi Lengthman,

No, the last thing I received was the conditional offer. I know the medical went fine and that the references have been sent out.

How up to date is your info? the last contact I had was 15th March when there was still no confirmed start date. I thought the date you have posted would have been unlikely because both the Monday and Friday are bank holidays. Would that not affect that week as a potential start?

Cheers.

gazza8

Hi Lengthman,

No, the last thing I received was the conditional offer. I know the medical went fine and that the references have been sent out.

How up to date is your info? the last contact I had was 15th March when there was still no confirmed start date. I thought the date you have posted would have been unlikely because both the Monday and Friday are bank holidays. Would that not affect that week as a potential start?

Cheers.

some great info to be found here

Last edited:

dubhglas

Hey guys. I applied for the trainee train driver at Glasgow and Edinburgh stations a few weeks back in february.

Has anybody heard anything from them? or can anyone give any more advice?? I hate this waiting game :( lol.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Seeing that they're train enthusiasts, they should breeze it. If you're really interested in something, don't you find that things just stick in your memory very quickly?

...nor should you assume that being an enthusiast will be in any way advantageous when it comes to successfully completing driver training.

O L Leigh

oldagefanclub

The 25th of April is a definate as thats when i start also.

This is a great site wish i had found it before i started the whole application process!

some great info to be found here

Cheers

I'm starting to panic again. Why have they not given me a start date :shock:

oldagefanclub

Im an internal applicant, and i know that my course contains only internals. But i also know of someone "off the street" is starting the same day, so maybe a few courses running

Give Sandra at recruitment a call and ask for an update on your application cant do any harm

Cheers Gazza, I can only asume they are waiting on references then. Maybe give it to the start of next week and drop Sandra an e-mail.

barko26

Hey guys. I applied for the trainee train driver at Glasgow and Edinburgh stations a few weeks back in february.

Has anybody heard anything from them? or can anyone give any more advice?? I hate this waiting game :( lol.

I to applied for the position in Edinburgh, applied as soon as I saw it. I'm in the same position as you, still waiting to hear back. The status of my online application hasn't changed from awaiting shortlisting so I guess we're just going to have to be patient.

I'm in a little bit of a sticky situation, I'm looking to move to Edinburgh and that would require a change in jobs, so I don't really want to apply elsewhere until I've heard back. No idea how long it takes so if anyone could shed some light on it that'd be grand :)

dubhglas

I to applied for the position in Edinburgh, applied as soon as I saw it. I'm in the same position as you, still waiting to hear back. The status of my online application hasn't changed from awaiting shortlisting so I guess we're just going to have to be patient.

I'm in a little bit of a sticky situation, I'm looking to move to Edinburgh and that would require a change in jobs, so I don't really want to apply elsewhere until I've heard back. No idea how long it takes so if anyone could shed some light on it that'd be grand :)

yeah, I put in my application, where it asks if you live within an hour of the station, I put no, but am willing to relocate. hope that doesnt put them off right away though lol.

well, let u know if i hear anything

hiall

oldage, I got my contract one week before I started. Then personally handed it in lol. They are short of drivers so I wouldnt worry. You will be a trainee driver on the 25th. Its first class training and if you put the hard work in you will get the rewards.

Lengthman

Oldage it's a definite for the 25/04/11. Spoke to Sandra, she confirmed the date & that my contract was posted today.

Good luck to everyone who has applied for the recent vacancies

dubhglas

Oldage it's a definite for the 25/04/11. Spoke to Sandra, she confirmed the date & that my contract was posted today.

Who's sandra?? is she someone that deals with the recruitment?? would she be worth getting in touch with? as a sort of, follow up to an application??

cheers for any info

Doug

oldagefanclub

oldage, I got my contract one week before I started. Then personally handed it in lol. They are short of drivers so I wouldnt worry. You will be a trainee driver on the 25th. Its first class training and if you put the hard work in you will get the rewards.

Cheers hiall for the reassurance. Lengthman, look forward to meeting you on the 25th.

TDK

Established Member
Seeing that they're train enthusiasts, they should breeze it. If you're really interested in something, don't you find that things just stick in your memory very quickly?

There are hundreds if not thousends of train enthusiasts who have not made the grade, I feel that an adicted enthusiast could be a risk, reason being - oh look there is a class 37, what one is it, blimey it's pulling cartics oh **** was that a red signal??? I know most wont agree but this is the impression some enthusiasts give at interview.

dubhglas

does anybody have a contact number to call someone in HR to ask for an update on the shortlisting process?? I know it can be a long process, but its nice to let them know your still interested.

Doug

qpsnapper

does anybody have a contact number to call someone in HR to ask for an update on the shortlisting process?? I know it can be a long process, but its nice to let them know your still interested.

Doug

I've got an e-mail this morning saying thanks but no thanks for the trainee driver vacancies.

barko26

I've got an e-mail this morning saying thanks but no thanks for the trainee driver vacancies.

Sorry to hear that mate, but as they say keep trying. I have checked pretty much every day but still haven't heard anything back. Hopefully this means they are getting near the end of this process.

qpsnapper

Sorry to hear that mate, but as they say keep trying. I have checked pretty much every day but still haven't heard anything back. Hopefully this means they are getting near the end of this process.

Thanks, I wasn't overly optimistic as my current/previous jobs haven't really bore much relation to train driving, but I gave it a bash as it is somthing I would like to do.

Hopefully yourself and other folk on the board who applied will get further than me.

notadriver

Established Member
Dont assume that everyone who decides to drive trains for a living are train enthusiasts. I know I'm not in the least bit interested in trains, ,my motivation is the salary and benefits.

I think if you're in it for the money you should look elsewhere.

barko26

Just received my letter of rejection! Bit gutted to be honest. I did have some hope as I've been a bus driver for the past 4 years. Thought that may have looked more favourably upon myself. ach well, maybe next time.

reapz

Well i put in for these and have passed the assesment before with First group but missed out on the job by a few points at the final stage ,

But i have not heard anything yet im still at awaiting shortlisting

edit sorry no thx for edinburgh job:( , but glas still awaiting shortlisting

Im guessing they had a load of qualified guys apply for edin jobs

Last edited:

oldagefanclub

I think if you're in it for the money you should look elsewhere.

If you would love to be a driver what is stopping you? Is it that you can't quite make the grade?

Where else should I look for £35k per year for a 35 hour week?

Sorry I don't share your obsession with trains but, hey ho! each to their own. Where do you get off telling people what they should choose as a career?

And finally, just to cheer you right up! I have received my start date for training :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cheers

Hi Lenghtman, did you get your contract? My course isn't starting till the 27th June.

notadriver

Established Member
If you would love to be a driver what is stopping you? Is it that you can't quite make the grade?

Where else should I look for £35k per year for a 35 hour week?

Sorry I don't share your obsession with trains but, hey ho! each to their own. Where do you get off telling people what they should choose as a career?

And finally, just to cheer you right up! I have received my start date for training :D

I'm not getting off on anything; I just think it's a shame that there is a new entrants to the industry see only £££ and that's it. By the way I don't berate you getting the job and I'm glad you have a start date.

In all my jobs I've always given a bit extra - nothing to do with £££ all the time.

I'm not obsessed with trains; I'm not a train spotter but I do know more about railway rules, and in particular life on the railway than you do.

oldagefanclub

I'm not getting off on anything; I just think it's a shame that there is a new entrants to the industry see only £££ and that's it. By the way I don't berate you getting the job and I'm glad you have a start date.

In all my jobs I've always given a bit extra - nothing to do with £££ all the time.
I'm not obsessed with trains; I'm not a train spotter but I do know more about railway rules, and in particular life on the railway than you do.

You should not doubt that I will be totally professional in my approach to my job, as I was in my last job and as I was in my research, exams and application of my new job. I will also be 100% commited to my new employer and profession and will strive to be the best at what I do.

Cogratulations on knowing more about railway rules than someone who hasn't so much as completed one days induction.

Last edited:

CarterUSM

Established Member
You should not doubt that I will be totally professional in my approach to my job, as I was in my last job and as I was in my research, exams and application of my new job. I will also be 100% commited to my new employer and profession and will strive to be the best at what I do.

Cogratulations on knowing more about railway rules than someone who hasn't so much as completed one days induction.

Well done on getting the job mate, and don't worry, I am sure you they teach you "the rules" whilst you are there! ;)

hiall

This time next year oldage I am sure you will be more than capable of naming all the rules applicable to the safe driving of trains!! lol.

Well done again and enjoy. The training is superb and there is always someone there to help you.

Good luck and enjoy the many many many many rules tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.