• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Chaz15

Just in from the 1st stage assessment for the glasgow/ayr/Motherwell.

Was 20 of us there this morning, took not much over 2 hours. Hear back in a week they said.

Maybe be more movement after that for those on hold.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CalD

Just in from the 1st stage assessment for the glasgow/ayr/Motherwell.

Was 20 of us there this morning, took not much over 2 hours. Hear back in a week they said.

Maybe be more movement after that for those on hold.
Was it good? What did you do?

CalD

Has anyone who has only applied for Edinburgh/Bathgate with the closing date if 12/07 heard anything or are we all still under consideration?
Also anyone on here who already has a pass with The psychometrics, does ScotRail do them again or accept a previous result?
Under consideration still

Chaz15

Group bourdon, rules and procedures, test of everyday attention.

I think it went well but will hear soon enough if it didn't.

CalD

Group bourdon, rules and procedures, test of everyday attention.

I think it went well but will hear soon enough if it didn't.
Was the rules and procedures a test/interview or was it a presentation to give information?

Chaz15

Test, study a passage for a short while, retain the information and answer questions on it.

If u get an assessment its all in a booklet u get before u attend so don't spend time overthinking it until then. I didn't anyway.

CalD

Test, study a passage for a short while, retain the information and answer questions on it.

If u get an assessment its all in a booklet u get before u attend so don't spend time overthinking it until then. I didn't anyway.
Good advice, hope it goes well for you and fingers crossed I hear something soon too.

Mike003

I've got an assessment next week for ScotRail. I applied late and got accepted for the assessment day. Didn't think it would come back so quickly so hardly got any time to study anything maybe get time to do 1 hour a day maximum. Anyone got good advice on what is the hardest tests to do and what is best to study most for. Group bourdon test etc? I hear the first interview is quite hard. Thanks for your help and advice....

I've got an assessment next week for ScotRail. I applied late and got accepted for the assessment day. Didn't think it would come back so quickly so hardly got any time to study anything maybe get time to do 1 hour a day maximum. Anyone got good advice on what is the hardest tests to do and what is best to study most for. Group bourdon test etc? I hear the first interview is quite hard. Thanks for your help and advice....

Practice the Group Bourdon as it's probably the only test that you'll gain any benefit from, and do it on paper if you can as its easier than the computer test (IMHO)

Chaz15

Passed my tests yesterday, just heard, says will be carrying out a number of assessments in coming weeks so will hear more after that.

Mike003

Practice the Group Bourdon as it's probably the only test that you'll gain any benefit from, and do it on paper if you can as its easier than the computer test (IMHO)
Hi, thanks, do you know if ScotRail use the paper group bourdon test or the computer version? All the paperwork I was sent from ScotRail is just looking for letters and a test were you have to look for a letter whilst listening to someone speak and listen out for specific words whilst doing this... Thanks anyway....

Mike003

Passed my tests yesterday, just heard, says will be carrying out a number of assessments in coming weeks so will hear more after that.
Hi, I've got assessments next week. Is there any tips at all you can give. I've heard the group bourdon test of dots is done first and many fail at that stage. Is the file they send you to work through anything similar to the tests like looking for letters and also looking for letters whilst listening to someone speak and counting certain times a word is said. Just any tips you think can help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mike003

Hi, I've got assessments next week. Is there any tips at all you can give. I've heard the group bourdon test of dots is done first and many fail at that stage. Is the file they send you to work through anything similar to the tests like looking for letters and also looking for letters whilst listening to someone speak and counting certain times a word is said. Just any tips you think can help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Chaz15

The toughest probably is the bourden as you say. I'm a very fast reader and this definitely seems to help me.

The booklet is good, work through that and you won't go wrong. Its all I done, other than one practice of actual dots with pen an paper.

They are really nice and make sure you understand by checking your practice questions before each test so youre in no doubt what you need to do.

I was pretty relaxed to be honest, I'm of the opinion that, in a week, you probably can't improve your concentration that much so I figured I've already either got it or I don't. Others may disagree. I thought, I'll go in, do my best and can't do anymore. Being relaxed definitely helps.

Chaz15

Ps your listening for low beeps amongst high beeps, probably the easiest part of the test imo.

MrHopefull

They must of had quite a bit off applications for Edinburgh and Bathgate
3 weeks still under consideration
with others hearing back

kickin aff

They must of had quite a bit off applications for Edinburgh and Bathgate
3 weeks still under consideration
with others hearing back

There is a post a couple of pages back where someone who previously worked within a similar recruitment type company explained how they work which is maybe similar to this company.

During the initial sift the applications are sorted into a traffic light system. The strong ones are giving a green light and go straight to assessment. The ones which do not meet a standard are giving a red light and rejected at that stage. The others are amber and can sit on consideration for a long period. Some may get to assessments depending on positions available and performance of others, whilst others will eventually get rejected.

It's all a big waiting game that can last for months.

MrHopefull

There is a post a couple of pages back where someone who previously worked within a similar recruitment type company explained how they work which is maybe similar to this company.

During the initial sift the applications are sorted into a traffic light system. The strong ones are giving a green light and go straight to assessment. The ones which do not meet a standard are giving a red light and rejected at that stage. The others are amber and can sit on consideration for a long period. Some may get to assessments depending on positions available and performance of others, whilst others will eventually get rejected.

It's all a big waiting game that can last for months.
I understand this, but everyone I know who's applied for Edinburgh hasn't heard anything so I'm assuming the haven't started with us yet

Aitch77

Hi, thanks, do you know if ScotRail use the paper group bourdon test or the computer version? All the paperwork I was sent from ScotRail is just looking for letters and a test were you have to look for a letter whilst listening to someone speak and listen out for specific words whilst doing this... Thanks anyway....
Definitely the paper one. Doing the computer version is still excellent practise. But definitely try the paper version too. Good luck.

Pcb1980

Hi, any Aberdeen applicants heard back yet?
Or is the applications still under consideration?

xKenny

Hi, any Aberdeen applicants heard back yet?
Or is the applications still under consideration?
I heard back today that I passed the assessment centre. I had to email them though and ask for an update on my application status. I sent my email at 9am and received the reply with good news at midday.