• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Nathen

Wonder if they just gave up with edinburgh
I emailed a week or so ago and was informed that it may well be until the end of the year before we hear anything back due to the amount of applications and also depending on the area you applied for where they are requiring a small or large amount of drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kaltias

Wonder if they just gave up with edinburgh

I emailed this morning to ask what was going on with Edinburgh as I was holding off applying for conductor roles in the meantime... and got a thanks but no thanks email about two hours later

Gotta laugh or you’d cry

MrHopefull

I emailed this morning to ask what was going on with Edinburgh as I was holding off applying for conductor roles in the meantime... and got a thanks but no thanks email about two hours later

Gotta laugh or you’d cry

I just got the no thanks email 10 mins ago for Edinburgh unfortunately, good luck to everyone else

CBR600

Did anybody get a response for the Oban positions yet (closing date was 1st October)?

Methodical

Assessment today. Think it went fairly well, another waiting game now to see if I've done enough to make it to interview stage, although they stated they are hoping to get things moving quickly, so hopefully not too long !!
Assessors were very helpful and tried to make everyone as much at ease as possible .
Good luck to all attending in the coming days.

jamie k

Assessment today. Think it went fairly well, another waiting game now to see if I've done enough to make it to interview stage, although they stated they are hoping to get things moving quickly, so hopefully not too long !!
Assessors were very helpful and tried to make everyone as much at ease as possible .
Hello mate,
Glad to hear it went well, did you complete the MMI in the same day?

Ciel

Hi. Glad it went well - I have mine on Tuesday.

Is it every test in the PDF files which they sent out to us? Was a fairly big pack.

Or is it 3, and they pick and choose which ones they want to test us on?

Methodical

Hi. Glad it went well - I have mine on Tuesday.
Is it every test in the PDF files which they sent out to us? Was a fairly big pack.

Or is it 3, and they pick and choose which ones they want to test us on?

We did the ones which were bullet pointed in email , don't know if anything varies between groups / days.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Hi, does anyone here know how far the sickness days are checked at your medical?
Sickness days aren't checked at a medical. Neither are your medical records. It's simply if you meet the standard on the day. A sickness record would only come up if provided in a reference from a previous employer.

Ciel

Sickness days aren't checked at a medical. Neither are your medical records. It's simply if you meet the standard on the day. A sickness record would only come up if provided in a reference from a previous employer.

I have a train driver scotrail applicant on another thread say that they were asked how many days they were sick in the past year, and how many times they had been to the doctor, at the medical?

scotraildriver

Established Member
They can ask but they can't actually check.(but dont lie). They ask me that at every medical just to see how generally healthy you are.

Ciel

They can ask but they can't actually check.(but dont lie). They ask me that at every medical just to see how generally healthy you are.

Oh, I see! I certainly won't lie, but it's good to see that there's a discussion to discuss my sickness record, rather than just a black and white overview of it.

Do you know if they ask about it in the interview?

Ciel

I was asked in my interview although that was 16 years ago!

Wow! I'm surprised you can still remember - I had my job interview for my current role about 5 years ago, and I can barely remember what they asked me! :D

Last edited:

5thrail

Finally got invitation to attend assessment on 15th Nov.

Applied for edinburgh/Bathgate

Does anyone know if OPC are running them?

Hope everyone else hears soon

Cheers

Dundeeborn

I got the "no thanks" email for Dundee today unfortunately. Did anyone get invited to the assessment stage for Dundee? Best of luck to all.

BN1994

I had applied for the Edinburgh/Bathgate trainee driver position about 2 months ago. I recently heard back saying my application was successful and I was invited to attend an assessment day. I went along to this last week and passed all the written assessments. I’ve now been asked to go back for an interview which says will last around 45 minutes. I’m very inexperienced when it comes to interviews like this. Has anyone been through this process before that is willing to give me any advice?? I’m trying to think what type of questions that I will be asked.

Wst71Pa2

I had applied for the Edinburgh/Bathgate trainee driver position about 2 months ago. I recently heard back saying my application was successful and I was invited to attend an assessment day. I went along to this last week and passed all the written assessments. I’ve now been asked to go back for an interview which says will last around 45 minutes. I’m very inexperienced when it comes to interviews like this. Has anyone been through this process before that is willing to give me any advice?? I’m trying to think what type of questions that I will be asked.

It will be PQA (personal qualities and attributes) style interview. The model ansersashould follow the STAR format. Situation Task Action Result.

Tell us a time when you faced a challenging situation that affected you and your colleagues?

The Situation
Your Task or role in it
The Action you took
The Result or outcome.

The structured part you are allowed to think about and prepare scenarios before hand to demonstrate what you can bring to the role.

Researching Police and Fire interviews will give similar ideas.

Good luck

hollyblue

I got an invitation to the assessment day on the 23rd[/QUOTE
I got an invitation to the assessment day on the 23rd

I’m not sure they know what’s going on. I applied for Perth/Dundee role and my application has that on it....and I’m in a pool now having passed managers interview but being one of apparently several in same position as there aren’t enough vacancies. All seems very bizarre.....

Debaser

You’re not at the STAR method interview yet, if you’ve only done written tests, ie dots/sounds/phone book, the 45min interview you’re getting is the DTM (driver team manager) interview.

Think about the things you’d be expected to know for any job interview.

Basic knowledge of the company, it’s history, the services it provides, its values, mission statement, rolling stock and timetable (first and last train times). This is also about your character, imagine you are a driver and the responsibility you have. How do you stay alert? How would you cope under the pressure of an emergency situation? Why are you attracted to the role?
Think about health and safety and risk management. Include this in your answers, it’s obviously a big deal.
This is the head up shoulders back interview with a face that says you know what you’re getting into and you’re ready to knuckle down and learn. Get to the point quick, be confident in what you say, believe in yourself because if you don’t they won’t, and be ready for off topic questions.

If you pass this one you have the joy of prepping for the structured interview next, so long as you pass the computer tests first.

All the best, go bat it out the park.

Wst71Pa2

You’re not at the STAR method interview yet, if you’ve only done written tests, ie dots/sounds/phone book, the 45min interview you’re getting is the DTM (driver team manager) interview.

Think about the things you’d be expected to know for any job interview.

Basic knowledge of the company, it’s history, the services it provides, its values, mission statement, rolling stock and timetable (first and last train times). This is also about your character, imagine you are a driver and the responsibility you have. How do you stay alert? How would you cope under the pressure of an emergency situation? Why are you attracted to the role?
Think about health and safety and risk management. Include this in your answers, it’s obviously a big deal.
This is the head up shoulders back interview with a face that says you know what you’re getting into and you’re ready to knuckle down and learn. Get to the point quick, be confident in what you say, believe in yourself because if you don’t they won’t, and be ready for off topic questions.

If you pass this one you have the joy of prepping for the structured interview next, so long as you pass the computer tests first.

All the best, go bat it out the park.

Both my DTM and HR interviews were STAR

Nathen

The people that have done the assessment days what are they like and what points would you say to remember?

Nathen

I’m not sure they know what’s going on. I applied for Perth/Dundee role and my application has that on it....and I’m in a pool now having passed managers interview but being one of apparently several in same position as there aren’t enough vacancies. All seems very bizarre.....
There isn't enough vacancies for new recruits?? When did you do the assessment days?

Nathen

What's been the average lines people have managed at the assessment days in the group bourdon test?