• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mw1967

I was under the impression that scotrail were looking for 100 trainee drivers! Not qualified.
There will still be 100 trainee drivers even if qualified drivers are looking for transfers. I think what skinnydave was getting at was that current drivers might take the opportunity to move location given that a trainee position can be allocated anywhere. I doubt that there are specific numbers of positions for specific locations, which gives rise to the chance of a qualified driver getting the ok for a move.

Ciel

I applied on the 28th of September for Glasgow central... Starting to lose hope now. I haven't heard from Scot rail or abellio at all... Did I apply too late? My application was pretty strong, I think...

I hope they'll send out an automated rejection e-mail like they did for internal applicants.

mw1967

I applied on the 28th of September for Glasgow central... Starting to lose hope now. I haven't heard from Scot rail or abellio at all... Did I apply too late? My application was pretty strong, I think...

I hope they'll send out an automated rejection e-mail like they did for internal applicants.

I've noticed a variety of timescales for internal and external applications recieving replys (be it good or bad news) so I wouldn't give up hope yet. There was a lot of applications so it's bound to take time.

Pheanne

Hi people, just received an email stating I have been successful and have to attend the assessment centre next week. I shall be sitting TEA-OCC, Group Bourdon, Train ability parts 1 and 2.

Can anyone who has sat this expand on what the tests consisted of? Is thr group bourdon 4 dots rather than the letter examples that they send in the practice booklet?

It also states the TEA-OCC consists of 3 parts, 1 listening to a CD counting tones and the other looking through a telephone book. Would this be right?

I've never had an assessment like this so seems all a bit strange. Mixed in with nerves I ain't feeling confident to say the least!

Spartafan

Hi people, just received an email stating I have been successful and have to attend the assessment centre next week. I shall be sitting TEA-OCC, Group Bourdon, Train ability parts 1 and 2.

Can anyone who has sat this expand on what the tests consisted of? Is thr group bourdon 4 dots rather than the letter examples that they send in the practice booklet?

It also states the TEA-OCC consists of 3 parts, 1 listening to a CD counting tones and the other looking through a telephone book. Would this be right?

I've never had an assessment like this so seems all a bit strange. Mixed in with nerves I ain't feeling confident to say the least!

What area did you apply for??

stevo7

Which area's have you applied for?

DANDAN

Yes it is all of the above, if you've been practicing you'll skoosh it I'm sure. I was really nervous too but the team really put us at ease and it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. Lasts 2.5hrs with a break in the middle.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Glasgow and ayr?

I had applied for both too but my email specifically said successful for Ayr, what does yours say?

Pheanne

Yes it is all of the above, if you've been practicing you'll skoosh it I'm sure. I was really nervous too but the team really put us at ease and it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. Lasts 2.5hrs with a break in the middle.

I had applied for both too but my email specifically said successful for Ayr, what does yours say?

Thanks for the info. So did you think the booklet examples were similar to the actual assessment?

I just double checked. It doesn't say on mine, it just states trainee train driver.

josecc

Pheanne

I would try not to worry to much about the assessments. They were not too difficult in my honest opinion. If you work through the booklet you should be fine.
I found the memory test the hardest. You had to answer questions on a passage you had just read for 5 minutes.
The most uncomfortable part of the day was sitting in the waiting room for 20 mins or so in silence with the rest of the candidates before the assessments started.

gazza8

They need 100 new trainee drivers. This is will be due to forecats for new services and any retirments within the next 5ish years.

reagrds,
Darryl

they dont need 100 "trainee" drivers they need 100 new drivers....if a qualified Driver moves from another TOC then they are not a trainee. A qualified driver with a decent record will get the position before a trainee.

Last edited:

Pheanne

Pheanne

I would try not to worry to much about the assessments. They were not too difficult in my honest opinion. If you work through the booklet you should be fine.
I found the memory test the hardest. You had to answer questions on a passage you had just read for 5 minutes.
The most uncomfortable part of the day was sitting in the waiting room for 20 mins or so in silence with the rest of the candidates before the assessments started.

Thanks for the advice. You seem confident whereas I'm not ha ha. Did you notice the example question in the booklet when someone reads a passage and you have to listen for the word dog? They actually had used dogs as an answer when it specifically said dog. I hope nothing like that happens next week!

I just bought bop it. I've heard that helps ha ha.

DANDAN

Thanks for the info. So did you think the booklet examples were similar to the actual assessment?

I just double checked. It doesn't say on mine, it just states trainee train driver.

As josecc says don't stress, yeh quite similar. Dots instead of letters and the tone test easier than trying at home with hubby beeping away in my ear!
Pheanne

Our waiting room had some folk who knew each other so that helped with the silence. I can imagine what it would be like with no one talking!

Pheanne

As josecc says don't stress, yeh quite similar. Dots instead of letters and the tone test easier than trying at home with hubby beeping away in my ear!

Our waiting room had some folk who knew each other so that helped with the silence. I can imagine what it would be like with no one talking!

Can anyone recommend an online way to practice this tone test?

Saltire

I think Bop-it was particularly useful for one of the tests in the old style assessments which were discontinued late in 2013, however I do think its a good game to sharpen your reactions which can only help. Another game which I would recommend is available (free) for your smartphone is called "Flow" it basically gets you to join up coloured dots and as you progress the patterns get harder. Neither of these games simulate any of the assessments but they do get the old grey matter working.

Pheanne

I think Bop-it was particularly useful for one of the tests in the old style assessments which were discontinued late in 2013, however I do think its a good game to sharpen your reactions which can only help. Another game which I would recommend is available (free) for your smartphone is called "Flow" it basically gets you to join up coloured dots and as you progress the patterns get harder. Neither of these games simulate any of the assessments but they do get the old grey matter working.

Thanks for introducing this nightmare into my life.

Daz9284

they dont need 100 "trainee" drivers they need 100 new drivers....if a qualified Driver moves from another TOC then they are not a trainee. A qualified driver with a decent record will get the position before a trainee.

True, but:
a) qualified drivers will still need some training, and
b) the vacancy name states 'trainee train diver - scotland North/east/South/west

Regards
Darryl

gazza8

True, but:
a) qualified drivers will still need some training, and
b) the vacancy name states 'trainee train diver - scotland North/east/South/west

Regards
Darryl

true but they will be on full salary and there training will be 8 weeks instead of 13 plus months and a 12 month climb to full salary. The vacancy states that but there is a section in the application for qualified drivers.

why would a TOC employ a trainee who needs the bast amount of training..when a qualified driver with a good record could start quickly after route (if needed) and traction training

Daz9284

true but they will be on full salary and there training will be 8 weeks instead of 13 plus months and a 12 month climb to full salary. The vacancy states that but there is a section in the application for qualified drivers.

why would a TOC employ a trainee who needs the bast amount of training..when a qualified driver with a good record could start quickly after route (if needed) and traction training

I am not disagreeing with you, I'm just stating what the application says.

But also, a TOC/FOC may prefer to train someone from scratch 'their way' than take someone one who had learned 'someone else's way'.

notadriver

Established Member

But also, a TOC/FOC may prefer to train someone from scratch 'their way' than take someone one who had learned 'someone else's way'.

Just out of curiosity what makes you say that ?

Daz9284

Just out of curiosity what makes you say that ?

Been told by someone I know who used to be a driver for a TOC. They said that particular TOC preferred to train people up than take on drivers from TOC / FOC. Just like some airlines take on ex RAF pilots, and some don't.

notadriver

Established Member
Which toc is that ? I started a thread a while back about tocs that didn't take on experienced drivers but there didn't seem to be any.

I know there are a few bus companies that prefer to train new recruits than take on experienced drivers.

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Been told by someone I know who used to be a driver for a TOC. They said that particular TOC preferred to train people up than take on drivers from TOC / FOC. Just like some airlines take on ex RAF pilots, and some don't.

Someone at HR told me that it takes 50k plus to train a driver from start to finish, if you have a qualified driver with clean record with good Sickness record etc there is no contest and there are no arguments.
There are a few Qualfied drivers applying but they will still need to take a lot more trainees on over next couple of years.

Daz9284

Has anyone who has previously passed all the assessments (either previously with Scotrail or another FOC/TOC) heard from Scotrail?

Regards
Darryl

gazza8

"their way" wouldnt come into it, a clean and decent record would show the driver be competant and a few months conversion would be all it takes.

For business, financial and productivity there is no way a trainee would get the nod infront of a qualified driver with a decent record..

theironroad

Established Member
There are too many variables in this to be honest. Some TOCs like xc only take qualifieds. Other TOCs take a mix. VTEC and vtwc, who have good headline salaries could only take qualifieds, but while they do , they do sometimes take trainees. A lot of other TOCs get fewer qualifieds applying and generally only when they want to move for personal reasons and these TOCs have to take in trainees.

However, in this sr recruitment campaign its a mixed bag. Any qualified drivers are probably moving for personal reasons, as though the sr salary has improved it used to be bottom of the league for tocs. There are only 3 TOCs in Scotland, VTEC,vtwc and SR and then the foc depots, so while there are definetyky some qualifeds applying its not that many I'd imagine. To add to the mix is, I'd imagine, some sort of deal between abellio and the Scottish government, possibly in terms of funding for trainee roles,but this is speculation.

With 100 roles and 22135 applicants it's a lottery all round....