• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dills1984

Hi all, new to this. I had my initial assessment and interview for trainee driver for Edinburgh/Bathgate back in October/November. I passed both but was told there was more successful candidates than jobs available so was placed on a 6 months waiting pool. I emailed last week asking for feedback on my interview and was then told I had been invited for the final assessment next week. I am worried about the perception test and also for the interview after do they ask you what you know about the company like at the managers interview or is it just questions about yourself? Thanks

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hi all, new to this. I had my initial assessment and interview for trainee driver for Edinburgh/Bathgate back in October/November. I passed both but was told there was more successful candidates than jobs available so was placed on a 6 months waiting pool. I emailed last week asking for feedback on my interview and was then told I had been invited for the final assessment next week. I am worried about the perception test and also for the interview after do they ask you what you know about the company like at the managers interview or is it just questions about yourself? Thanks

When you say interview is it the MMI?
The perception test is not too bad, there’s practice ones on YouTube you can find that are very helpful!

Kendo

Mine was 11.15...did they say to you when you would find out?
All they said is I would find out very quickly. I was in for about 40 mins. The interviewers were really good, no good cop bad cop routine which i read about in previous posts.

Stevos

I think it went fairly well....was in for around 30 mins....the guy in before me took bloody forever ran around 35 mins over the time haha
That's good then Nathen you should be ok bud. Fingers crossed for you.

BN1994

Hi, is there anyone on here that’s been through the driver training programme recently? I start training on the 21st and would like to know a bit more about the training. What are the hours like?

Stevos

Hi, is there anyone on here that’s been through the driver training programme recently? I start training on the 21st and would like to know a bit more about the training. What are the hours like?
Great question I'm wondering that myself. I'm going email recruitment. I still have my medical to attend but my wife will have to possibly change her working hours to accommodate my training schedule if successful.

Nathen

Well that's my process come to an abrupt halt.....didn't pass the DMI absoloutley gutted

Railwayman13

I passed but now in pool for Edin/Bathgate

Hope not gonna be all for nothing?
I’m in the same boat mate. Just emailed to ask, I see some people got the job ( or at least got to the next stage) and others didn’t. Just all depends but I do worry it’s just void after 6 months

Nathen

Sorry Nathen. It's tough getting a no.

Any1 heard 're closing date 27th Dec?
It's a kick in the teeth for sure it's even bigger kick in the teeth knowing they don't give you any feedback so that if you apply again for the Interview side of things how it can help in the future

RazzleDazzle

Hey
Razzledazzle the advert was SYS-4464 apologies for the type in the closing date as it was the 27/12 not the 21/12
Went along to the assessment today and just received an email to say I'd passed. So onto the DMI next. Really pleased.

Sorry to hear about your knock back David, but just to confirm, your application was for the trainee train drivers job (for Scotland ie non specific depot) SYS-4464, the advert which closed on 27th December 2018?

Because there are a number of us on here who haven’t heard at all, papersift-wise, yet alone attended a DMI...

I can only assume you’ve got your dates mixed up and you’re not some forum anorak who possesses a spurious imagination?

I sincerely hope it’s the former, and if anyone else finds this all a bit ODD, check this thread from page 62 onwards and you’ll get my gist...

Stevos

Sorry to hear that guys. It's never nice getting a no. Just stick in and 're apply when you can.

Stevos

Sorry to hear about your knock back David, but just to confirm, your application was for the trainee train drivers job (for Scotland ie non specific depot) SYS-4464, the advert which closed on 27th December 2018?

Because there are a number of us on here who haven’t heard at all, papersift-wise, yet alone attended a DMI...

I can only assume you’ve got your dates mixed up and you’re not some forum anorak who possesses a spurious imagination?

I sincerely hope it’s the former, and if anyone else finds this all a bit ODD, check this thread from page 62 onwards and you’ll get my gist...
I applied in July mate and have spoken to people who applied around the same time but were about 2 months ahead of me in terms of testing. I couldn't figure it out but as I was told patience is the key.

RazzleDazzle

Yep I appreciate that Stevos, but what David MclUckie has said was that he applied for a job that closed 18 days ago (8 of those days being public holidays or weekends) and in that period he has gone all the way to a DMI?!

It just doesn’t add up, unless I’m missing something?

randomblock

Yep I appreciate that Stevos, but what David MclUckie has said was that he applied for a job that closed 18 days ago (8 of those days being public holidays or weekends) and in that period he has gone all the way to a DMI?!

It just doesn’t add up, unless I’m missing something?
No he’s correct as i’m in exactly the same position. The process went much quicker than I thought it would.

Mate, I am correct and that was the advert I applied to, my first time applying aswell.
My brother in law also applied on the closing date - 27th and hasn't heard anything either so, like I said before, they're probably still going through applications.
I received my email on the 28th, test the following Friday, DMI the following Friday again.
I'm actually quite gutted and your comments were a bit uncalled for mate.

Ledzepplin

Mate, I am correct and that was the advert I applied to, my first time applying aswell.
My brother in law also applied on the closing date - 27th and hasn't heard anything either so, like I said before, they're probably still going through applications.
I received my email on the 28th, test the following Friday, DMI the following Friday again.
I'm actually quite gutted and your comments were a bit uncalled for mate.

Feel for you, it is a Nightmare getting knocked back, but at least if you try again you won’t need to do the assessments just the interviews (well from what I have gathered that’s how it works) silver linings and all that

Railwayman13

Just wondering (mainly for own peace of mind and sanity), is there anyone on here who applied roughly back in June/July for Edinburgh/Bathgate and have recently completed their DMI and have been placed in the reserve pool? Or been rejected (if you don’t mind saying) or been put through to the next stage. Cheers

5thrail

I applied in July for Edin and sat dmi on fri. Now in pool. Fingers crossed something comes up!