• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
Yea I dressed with trousers and shirt don't think it matters as long as you're dressed smart.
Guys please go in full suit. Although smart may be acceptable it depends who sees you. The training academy is very strict and people do get sent away for their dress. Full suit or uniform if you have one. It might just affect your chances.

Kendo

Yea you're prob right! part of the email for the 1st assessment says (Business dress does not apply, casual dress is acceptable)

If that's the case prob best to go with suit

scotraildriver

Established Member
Yea you're prob right! part of the email for the 1st assessment says (Business dress does not apply, casual dress is acceptable)

If that's the case prob best to go with suit
Oh really? Things have changed since last time I was there. Anything less than full smart even for assessments was unacceptable. Oh well..

Kendo

Oh really? Things have changed since last time I was there. Anything less than full smart even for assessments was unacceptable. Oh well..
Yea hence why I went in smart clothing however for the final assessment they empathise the importance of business dress.

Vertigo

Just ask yourself how much does this job mean to me? Suited and booted at every stage. It won't hurt to be too smart, but it could if you are under dressed. They have no problems with you being comfortable for the assesments and can ditch the jacket and tie if you need.

John Bishop

part of the email for the 1st assessment says (Business dress does not apply, casual dress is acceptable)

Really? Only did my assessments in last 2 months or so, and each email states that ‘business dress applies’ and that they have a strict policy.

Everyone else there on both stages were ‘suited and booted’

Kendo

Really? Only did my assessments in last 2 months or so, and each email states that ‘business dress applies’ and that they have a strict policy.

Everyone else there on both stages were ‘suited and booted’

Yea I just double checked there lol. As Vertigo says suited and booted will make a good impression.

Jord85

suit it is then.. I have been practicing the bourdon test with print offs and getting a good score. Is it worth while buying one of these books off amazon with train driver tests, with examples of other parts of the test?

Atrium Court has a dress code of business dress.

I’d strongly advise only wearing business dress for all stages of the process, even if there isn’t an interview.

Robbo-73

Well, well, well after applying for the Edinburgh/Bathgate trainee train drivers position away back on 9th July I have received an email this afternoon (yes on a Sunday) inviting me to assessment centre on 7th February.
Unfortunately I’m away on a family holiday, I’ll reply to ask if they can reschedule, but just goes to show there isn’t really any maximum timescale to these applications.
To those who applied around the same time as I - check your inboxes and good luck!
Hi Saltire, out of interest, when you applied in July, was there anything about "if you don't hear in 8 weeks, consider yourself unsuccessful" ? I see on these pages that a lot of people had applied months ago and are only hearing now! Cheers

John Bishop

I thought there was only 1 assessment day? paper tests and computer tests?

No, 2 assessment days. If you pass stage 1, then you have a Driver Manager Interview, if you pass that then you do a stage 2 assessment day which is computer tests which, if you pass them in the morning, you do a MMI in the afternoon.

DougieSCO

Unsure if i'm being ridiculously optimistic holding out hope at being offered an assessment from the December applications.
On the online profile, it still says 'under consideration', but then again, so does an engineering application from 04/01/2018 that I declined haha.

What's the general opinion?

Unsure if i'm being ridiculously optimistic holding out hope at being offered an assessment from the December applications.
On the online profile, it still says 'under consideration', but then again, so does an engineering application from 04/01/2018 that I declined haha.

What's the general opinion?
I’d just try to forget about it. It was about 7 months without hearing anything, before I got an email inviting me to my first assessment day. The process requires a lot of patience!

Bigdriver

Had our assessment today all went well I think! Was told they are doing assessments everyday for the next 5 weeks I would say 20 in my assessment and would have been that in the class before so looks like a big recruitment ! So still plenty on time for people who still haven’t heard yet

Jord85

No, 2 assessment days. If you pass stage 1, then you have a Driver Manager Interview, if you pass that then you do a stage 2 assessment day which is computer tests which, if you pass them in the morning, you do a MMI in the afternoon.
ok cheers, Im through Glasgow this month for the 1st part. Been practicing the bourdon test and scoring quite decent results

Bigdriver

Just received an email this morning saying that I have passed all the assesment test yesterday and will be contacted in 3-4 weeks for interview. Any tips help likely questions if anyone can pm me that would be great cheers

Jord85

Had our assessment today all went well I think! Was told they are doing assessments everyday for the next 5 weeks I would say 20 in my assessment and would have been that in the class before so looks like a big recruitment ! So still plenty on time for people who still haven’t heard yet
I didn't know there was courses everyday... I asked to get a couple of days later but they wouldn't let me so I have had to rearrange a couple of other things to make the date as they says this was the only date.

Robbo-73

It doesn’t say as the post was Scotland but I would imagine it’s going to be the closest depot /station to you
I think what railwayman13 is getting at is, was it all Yoker or Glasgow or Ayr etc. at the same time or were they from all over?!

Bigdriver

I didn't know there was courses everyday... I asked to get a couple of days later but they wouldn't let me so I have had to rearrange a couple of other things to make the date as they says this was the only date.
Maybe all the spaces for the other dates were full up mate not really sure how it work all she said at the end was this is a long process and they doing assessments for the next 5 weeks !

Jord85

Maybe all the spaces for the other dates were full up mate not really sure how it work all she said at the end was this is a long process and they doing assessments for the next 5 weeks !
no worries mate , seen you passed first stage well done mate

xPedro

Another advert up for qualified mainline drivers, Scotland wide. They had them at the same time the trainee drivers jobs came up in December and now they have advertised again. Hope it doesn't affect the number of trainee drivers they take on.