• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kickin aff

Had a Covid test earlier this week but no sign of going back. Would of said that it is pointless just now however I now know how to take the swabs correctly for when things are up and running.

Had a Covid test earlier this week but no sign of going back. Would of said that it is pointless just now however I now know how to take the swabs correctly for when things are up and running.

Are you a trainee that’s been out driving ? If so I would imagine your depot will be looking to get you back. Why waste money on a test

kickin aff

Are you a trainee that’s been out driving ? If so I would imagine your depot will be looking to get you back. Why waste money on a test

Yes I'm a trainee. No idea why I was asked to take the test as told there are next to no DI's working so will be a while before I'm back.

Stigy

Established Member
Yes I'm a trainee. No idea why I was asked to take the test as told there are next to no DI's working so will be a while before I'm back.
It does seem strange that they’d start the testing if you’re not going to go back imminently as it’s just wasting test kits. I was tested by my TOC three weeks before I went back and that seemed like I was wasting tests as I used two of my three issues by Occ Health even before returning.

What depot are you at or area are you based. ? I’ve not heard any trainee getting a test unless they’ve got a DI and DTM willing to instruct and Assess

5thrail

I am a trainee. The tests were performed by an official tester to teach staff how to use the self testing kits.

We have taken away kits to self test each week

We will start self testing the week before we resume with a Di, and will be notified of this

I know of resuming qualified drivers and trainees resuming this week at Edinburgh.

Things are definitely happening but timescales I'm sure will vary depot on depot.

kickin aff

What depot are you at or area are you based. ? I’ve not heard any trainee getting a test unless they’ve got a DI and DTM willing to instruct and Assess
I'm work in the east. Like the previous poster said, the point of it was a lesson on how to use. I find it strange however that our tests were sent away for analysis, at a cost and when some labs are burst with sample backlogs.

hollyblue

Much to some people’s disappointment I’m sure, the depot I am at has trainees back with their DI’s driving this week. DTM’s have arranged it all and it looks like game on again. Clearly capacity isn’t what it was as there aren’t the same amount of Di’s out there but despite all the doom and gloom on here from 2 or 3 posters thing are up and running again.

Much to some people’s disappointment I’m sure, the depot I am at has trainees back with their DI’s driving this week. DTM’s have arranged it all and it looks like game on again. Clearly capacity isn’t what it was as there aren’t the same amount of Di’s out there but despite all the doom and gloom on here from 2 or 3 posters thing are up and running again.

What depot are you at or going to ? Things do seem to be moving in the right direction

Stigy

Established Member
I'm work in the east. Like the previous poster said, the point of it was a lesson on how to use. I find it strange however that our tests were sent away for analysis, at a cost and when some labs are burst with sample backlogs.
As the tests go to private labs, although busy, I don’t think there’s the same backlog as there is with the analysis as was reported on the news recently.

hiall

It is posts like this that do the trainees absolutely no favours in any shape or form. Giving them false hope seems to be a speciality of yours. It is far from up and running here and it certainly is not "game on" and probably won't be for a while and they already know this.

Instead of trying to have a dig at those 2 or 3 posters that you mention, please consider the feelings of the trainee that you seem to care so much for.....

golfingdaddy

It is posts like this that do the trainees absolutely no favours in any shape or form. Giving them false hope seems to be a speciality of yours. It is far from up and running here and it certainly is not "game on" and probably won't be for a while and they already know this.

Instead of trying to have a dig at those 2 or 3 posters that you mention, please consider the feelings of the trainee that you seem to care so much for.....

Yeah, I've not heard anything to suggest things are going to be up and running anytime soon. In fact, I've not heard anything...still no contact from union or management to tell me what's happening.
Resigned to the fact it will be January at earliest before I'm back.

kickin aff

Yeah, I've not heard anything to suggest things are going to be up and running anytime soon. In fact, I've not heard anything...still no contact from union or management to tell me what's happening.

I think next year also unfortunately.

Driver1122

There is 100% movement especially in the east. every single Bathgate trainee is back I think, maybe 1 really new one. Some people will go well into next year imo it’s a que system. Some movement is better than none.

golfingdaddy

There is 100% movement especially in the east. every single Bathgate trainee is back I think, maybe 1 really new one. Some people will go well into next year imo it’s a que system. Some movement is better than none.

And that in itself raises issues...should be standardised across all depots, with all trainee's returning in an agreed fashion at the same time.
Trainee's shouldn't be disadvantaged because they're at a particular depot where DI's don't want trainee's in the cab, or any other reason that is stopping us returning.

Last edited:

pendy12

And that in itself raises issues...should be standardised across all depots, with all trainee's returning in an agreed fashion at the same time.
Trainee's shouldn't be disadvantaged because they're at a particular depot where DI's don't want trainee's in the cab, or any other reason that is stopping us returning.
Is there more issues with DI's in the West than in the East? Hopefully things pick up for you soon mate

There’s around 65 trainees in the north Clyde and at this point only 6 DIs.

As for ”every single Bathgate trainee being back” don’t know where they’re keeping them but they’re certainly not all out driving trains as I’ve seen 3 Bathgate DIs in the past 2 days driving by themselves.

I haven’t seen a single trainee either in a depot, bothy or driving a train, don’t know where they are if they’re back.

D.Driver

As for ”every single Bathgate trainee being back” don’t know where they’re keeping them but they’re certainly not all out driving trains as I’ve seen 3 Bathgate DIs in the past 2 days driving by themselves.

I haven’t seen a single trainee either in a depot, bothy or driving a train, don’t know where they are if they’re back.
Well I think this proves to show that you seem to think that what you see is the so called "bible" and is exactly what is happening. Just because you haven't seen any trainees back doesn't mean they aren't back. I can confirm the two Bathgate trainees are back and were driving at the start of the week there, they are other trainees for Bathgate but they haven't got to the practical handling stage yet so that's irrelevant atm. I know this as I have actually spoke to one of them and by their body language and tone they seem very grateful to be back and seem very appreciative of their di commitments. I wish them the best of luck and hopefully over time more trainees can get back to work safely.

hiall

Good morning 320320 and thank you for the update. Can you confirm the location, if you know, of the 6 dis?

golfingdaddy

Well I think this proves to show that you seem to think that what you see is the so called "bible" and is exactly what is happening. Just because you haven't seen any trainees back doesn't mean they aren't back. I can confirm the two Bathgate trainees are back and were driving at the start of the week there, they are other trainees for Bathgate but they haven't got to the practical handling stage yet so that's irrelevant atm. I know this as I have actually spoke to one of them and by their body language and tone they seem very grateful to be back and seem very appreciative of their di commitments. I wish them the best of luck and hopefully over time more trainees can get back to work safely.

2 out of 65...3% of all trainees is hardly worth shouting about.

And why are the trainees who haven't got to the practical handling stage 'irrelevant'? Are they not as important as any other trainee?

D.Driver

2 out of 65...3% of all trainees is hardly worth shouting about.

And why are the trainees who haven't got to the practical handling stage 'irrelevant'? Are they not as important as any other trainee?
Think you’ll need to reread my post I didn’t say they were irrelevant at all, they are not needing Di’s at this moment of time.

Just because you haven’t seen them doesn’t mean to say they aren’t back driving. Did you ask any of the 3 that you seen ?

Last edited:

Good morning 320320 and thank you for the update. Can you confirm the location, if you know, of the 6 dis?

2 at Motherwell, 2 at Bathgate and 2 at Yoker although no confirmation of DTM participation yet.
Same as before, none at Airdrie or Helensburgh.

Driver1122

2 at Motherwell, 2 at Bathgate and 2 at Yoker although no confirmation of DTM participation yet.
Same as before, none at Airdrie or Helensburgh.
So one second ago, you didn’t know were the Bathgate DIs were keeping there trainees and now you know there is two. But I know three trainees at Bathgate back ? And someone else knows some.

Behave.

anyway talking on this is boring,

Trainees any issues ask your LLC or CC. Your jobs will be safe there taking on more. Some may be waiting till next year before there back. Nothing I can say will chnage that, it’s not great but it’s movement.

peace out.