• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

optimist21

I'm pretty sure it's location based and it doesn't really matter when you do sjt's etc.

I sat the first sjt very sharp after the closing dates, and completed my 2nd on 20/3/24 and not heard back, and i'm sure thats down to location rather than score (may sound arrogant but I know SJT's inside out)

What will be will be.
I was thinking its by location too, with the stations with more vacancies going first. Although I have seen a Perth candidate (my local depot, although within time for Dundee and Stirling i suppose) with a met satisfactory level email already, so maybe that's not true. I did my SJT on 21st March, not heard anything yet. What depot are you waiting on?

ppp99

Great news. When did you receive your successful email? Where you a March 2024 applicant?
Hello yes March 2024 applicant, received successful email on 17/05/2024, email re assessment centre on 21/05/2024 telling me assessment day is 28/05/2024

I got an email for the in person assessment a week today in Glasgow, Tuesday 28th, just found out today, good luck to everyone else!!
Yes me too! See you then

Chaz15

I was thinking its by location too, with the stations with more vacancies going first. Although I have seen a Perth candidate (my local depot, although within time for Dundee and Stirling i suppose) with a met satisfactory level email already, so maybe that's not true. I did my SJT on 21st March, not heard anything yet. What depot are you waiting on?

I could be Perth, Edinburgh or Fife, located Dunfermline.

I've passed the sift and passed first practical stages previously and withdrew myself before dmi cause my heart wasn't in it, maybe it still isn't.

The sjt is the same many others I've done and I know I'll have scored well on it, but that doesn't mean I'm the right candidate and could dip for other reasons, one being that I'm not as invested as some other candidates, I'll just wait and see but until it's rejected I wouldn't say anyone's out the running

delboy84

I had my 2nd assessments on Monday, and passed those. Then moved straight to MMI, which I think went fine, and now waiting for a response. I was told on Monday I should have received an email that afternoon with either a conditional offer or a rejection, but so far received nothing
I’m really hoping that no news is good news…

hoody11

Hi folks, I applied for Edinburgh (closest depot). Received successful SJT email on 28/04.
Anyone else Edinburgh received assessment email? Just trying to guesstimate when this will be as go on holiday for 2 weeks from the 11th June, hoping to be lucky and avoid those dates

delboy84

Great to hear, how were the assessments?
The second assessments were very different to the first, all computer-based. Reaction test was quite easy because all you’ve got to do is stare at the screen for half an hour and react to a grey square turning black. Memory test I found hard because a photo flashes up for literally a second, and you’ve got to answer what you see in the photo. Then the test for keeping the balls in the lines is hard. The joysticks are really sensitive. I thought I had failed that one, but thankfully passed them.

MMI I thought was more relaxed and informal than the DMI, and because I was being questioned on my own answers to 6 situational questions I didn’t feel under too much pressure.
Most stressful part was when they said “you’ll receive an email this afternoon with the result” but then had to wait 3 days to hear! Got the email last night to say I’ve passed. Over the moon.

jmccallion93

Hi folks, I applied for Edinburgh (closest depot). Received successful SJT email on 28/04.
Anyone else Edinburgh received assessment email? Just trying to guesstimate when this will be as go on holiday for 2 weeks from the 11th June, hoping to be lucky and avoid those dates
I’m Edinburgh and received successful sjt email the same day as you and still waiting to hear about assessment days too.

AaronDee1

The second assessments were very different to the first, all computer-based. Reaction test was quite easy because all you’ve got to do is stare at the screen for half an hour and react to a grey square turning black. Memory test I found hard because a photo flashes up for literally a second, and you’ve got to answer what you see in the photo. Then the test for keeping the balls in the lines is hard. The joysticks are really sensitive. I thought I had failed that one, but thankfully passed them.

MMI I thought was more relaxed and informal than the DMI, and because I was being questioned on my own answers to 6 situational questions I didn’t feel under too much pressure.
Most stressful part was when they said “you’ll receive an email this afternoon with the result” but then had to wait 3 days to hear! Got the email last night to say I’ve passed. Over the moon.
Well done man congratulations, I know this might sound daft but what did you wear to the assessments this is where I am panicking a bit lol.

Craig1998

Brilliant mate, happy for you. How was the first assessment?

RossMc

Well done man congratulations, I know this might sound daft but what did you wear to the assessments this is where I am panicking a bit lol.

I wore a dress suit as did a few others, but there were people in jeans etc. Regardless, and in hindsight I would still wear a suit. First impressions count. Better to be overdressed than under.

Baz3901

I know it’s probably been asked before, but I can’t seem to find a question on it. My local station is Larkhall so I’m guessing I’d be based in Motherwell, I got my email saying I’d met the required standard on 22/04 and still haven’t heard anything about further assessments. Is anyone that will be based in Motherwell in the same boat as me?

delboy84

You don’t need to wear a suit, although some did when I was there for mine. I wore smart jeans, boots, shirt. You need to be comfortable, but also you want to make sure you’ve made an effort in appearance.

I know it’s probably been asked before, but I can’t seem to find a question on it. My local station is Larkhall so I’m guessing I’d be based in Motherwell, I got my email saying I’d met the required standard on 22/04 and still haven’t heard anything about further assessments. Is anyone that will be based in Motherwell in the same boat as me?
Yeah you’d be motherwell, same as me. Have you had the first assessments and the email is to say you’ve passed those? I waited 5 weeks with no word about the DMI, so I emailed recruitment to chase it up and got a date for the DMI quickly after that.
After the DMI I had to wait nearly a fortnight for the result, but then the 2nd assessment came quickly after that. I get the impression that there is either less requirement for trainees or less space for trainees at Motherwell. Seems to have taken longer for mine than for others at different depots.

Brilliant mate, happy for you. How was the first assessment?
First one was stressful but there weren’t really any surprises. I spent about an hour each night preparing in the run up to the assessment. If you Google group bourdon dots test you can practice those. You can only do your best by being as prepared as possible. For the group bourdon you’re not expected to reach the end of each page (which is off putting) but you need to get through as much as you can, and be accurate.

Last edited:

Baz3901

@delboy84 yeah I sat the SJT back in March mate, and got the email saying I’d passed it on the 22nd of last month, but not had any other correspondence but might take a leaf out your book. Do you have an email address for recruitment?

delboy84

@delboy84 yeah I sat the SJT back in March mate, and got the email saying I’d passed it on the 22nd of last month, but not had any other correspondence but might take a leaf out your book. Do you have an email address for recruitment?
If that’s the case I would just wait it out. I was 15 months from applying until first assessment, so best settle in for a long wait. The online SJT seems to be just another method for screening the applications, after the initial sift. Unfortunately they don’t fill you in with timescales at any stage. Everyone keeps telling me nothing happens quickly in the railway!

Adammfc23

Only just received my met the standards email 15 minutes ago from the March SJT honestly binned off the idea just goes to show how busy they are in the recruitment team

RossMc

Only just received my met the standards email 15 minutes ago from the March SJT honestly binned off the idea just goes to show how busy they are in the recruitment team

I applied in 2022 and have only just had my DMI. Best get prepared for the long haul......

Dmcb

Congratulations mate well done and well worth the wait! Can I ask, was it ScotRail staff who interviewed you for the MMI?

Tr4inee

Just received my "met the standard required" email an hour ago. SJT deadline was 27/3 and nearest depot is Motherwell. Good luck to all those still waiting :)

afloattoast

Just got my “met the standard required” email. I sat my 2nd online assessment on the 23rd March with a deadline of 27th March.

So for those who still have not had any contact, hold tight

Got the “met the standard required” email this afternoon. I live in Ayrshire and my deadline for SJT was 25th March.
I’m Ayrshire too, so def looks like they are doing it by area

Last edited:

delboy84

Congratulations mate well done and well worth the wait! Can I ask, was it ScotRail staff who interviewed you for the MMI?
Thanks! Worth the effort and anxiety! Yes was just one lady from the recruitment team who interviewed me for the MMI. It was less formal than the DMI, and I felt a lot more comfortable found that than the DMI. I tried sticking to the STAR method as much as possible (and was advised at the start that’s what they prefer) and found myself deviating from it. I was just trying to answer as honestly and naturally as possible, and in hindsight I thought that would go against me but I passed.

Baz79

Just received my ‘Met the standard required’ email.
SJT deadline was 27/3 my nearest depot is Perth.
Good luck to everyone

heg

I’ve just got my email saying I’ve been successful in the last two hours. I’m really happy I thought they had forgotten about me! Well done everyone!

Adammfc23

Just recieved my assessment date for Monday coming from the March intake can someone tell me if this is all day as it said it will be 0915 till 1200 however I am aware there are many more assessments that I will have to complete

ppp99

Just recieved my assessment date for Monday coming from the March intake can someone tell me if this is all day as it said it will be 0915 till 1200 however I am aware there are many more assessments that I will have to complete
Hi, I had mines today and we finished at 12:15pm. You only do the assessments mentioned in the email they sent out. Best of luck