• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail unit 156478's return to service

Status
Not open for further replies.

JModulo

Hasn't 509 only had a half refurb so far and been fitted with its old seats as the new ones weren't ready?

Aye, old style seats with the old covers I believe until the new ones arrive (with power sockets) Still to get Wi-Fi fitted too I believe

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
These "new seats", are they entirely different ones, or the exact same small tatty ones that are on all of Scotrail's 156s, but with Saltire coverings?
Not seen anything on the new ones so far regarding pictures, or refurbishment details.

JModulo

These "new seats", are they entirely different ones, or the exact same small tatty ones that are on all of Scotrail's 156s, but with Saltire coverings?
Not seen anything on the new ones so far regarding pictures, or refurbishment details.
As far as I'm led to believe, the "new" seats are those that look like an ironing board... like those in the 385 mock-up.

JModulo

Please tell me you're joking...:cry:
Wish I was. If it is true right enough, but I believe it is. Which then makes it strange that 478 has had the old type seats recovered in saltire rather than having new ones fitted.

Clansman

Established Member
Wish I was. If it is true right enough, but I believe it is. Which then makes it strange that 478 has had the old type seats recovered in saltire rather than having new ones fitted.

Hopefully it turns out not to be the case :)

Regarding the old seats being saltired, this isn't uncommon.

One of the ex-Alphaline 158s hads had the seat fabric changed to saltire, along with the floor. The seats remained the same type. Although not a refurb, I guess it is a termporary measure - given how awful the English cascades are internally! I imagine this is the case with 156478.

478 will be a unique 156 in the ScotRail fleet as it is owned by Brodies and is only going to be on lease until 2019 initially. Scotrail did not have any input to the refurb carried out by Brodies as far as I'm aware.

All the other 37 units that will remain with Scotrail will get the full works including the ironing board seats with USB charging ports built into them. 509 has all the wiring in place so it will be a quick job to install the new seats once they arrive at Corkerhill.

What else has been done on 509? I assume just new flooring, 2020 mods and repainting internally?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And what is the delay, if delay it is, to the seats?

new PIS I believe. Certainly the in cab PIS equipment is new, so I'm assuming the internal screens have been updated.

Call for aids in the wheelchair spaces and in the toilet that auto announce for the conductor to assist over the PA when activated. Wheelchair ramp located next to the wheelchair area instead of the middle of the train.

Repainted externally aswell even though it was already in the saltire livery.

ScotTrains

All the other 37 units that will remain with Scotrail will get the full works including the ironing board seats with USB charging ports built into them. 509 has all the wiring in place so it will be a quick job to install the new seats once they arrive at Corkerhill.

I hate those ironing board seats! The ones in the 385 mock-up were truly awful! Hard and upright. Isn't the GSW line supposed to be one of the scenic lines? I certainly wouldn't want to suffer on those new seats for any length of time. The old seats, although not great and getting quite tired, were certainly better than these horrid new ones.

HA25322

Had a look on the system last night and I see that it is still at Brodies. When it finally does come back what will become the celebrity 15x? 150275? 155346? Both have been at Kilmarnock since at least April?

Brian Aylott

Had a look on the system last night and I see that it is still at Brodies. When it finally does come back what will become the celebrity 15x? 150275? 155346? Both have been at Kilmarnock since at least April?

How can it still be at Brodies as it went to Wabtec Kilmarnock who have the C6P contract for the 11 Northern Porterbrook 150s
Brian

HA25322

How can it still be at Brodies as it went to Wabtec Kilmarnock who have the C6P contract for the 11 Northern Porterbrook 150s
Brian

Well as the thread is titled Scotrail unit 156478's return to service and that is at Brodies. And in respect of 150275 & 155346 it was never mentioned that they were at Brodies. It was just mentioned that they were in Kilmarnock. So not sure what you mean:?:. Sorry.

Brian Aylott

Well as the thread is titled Scotrail unit 156478's return to service and that is at Brodies. And in respect of 150275 & 155346 it was never mentioned that they were at Brodies. It was just mentioned that they were in Kilmarnock. So not sure what you mean:?:. Sorry.

Well I find it is confusing if you don't use quotes or mention the unit involved in the text
You mentioned 150275 #182 and then #183 followed up asking for news which 380101 replied to #185 that it was still at Brodies
I incorrectly assumed that this was a reference to 150275 and so attempted to clarify the position thinking that you thought all 3 were at Brodies
Sorry
Brian

478 has been split again at Brodies. It's getting close to being two years since it was in passenger service. With the ongoing 156 refurb programme and 478 unavailable the 156 fleet is struggling here.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Maybe to install the fixed bar coupler that all the 156 and 158 are getting done to replace the bsi. The rest of the fleet is getting done just now.

fgwrich

Established Member
It's a common conversion taking place across many fleets at the moment, most if not all of FGWs 150s have received them and I think, SWTs 158/159 fleet have them as well.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Would most classes of unit built between the mid 80s to late 90s have had BSI couplings between coaches?

Once all 158s have had the BSI replaced by a fixed bar coupler will that mean that they won't be able to stick a driving motor onto the end of another 158 unit?

Townsend Hook

Would most classes of unit built between the mid 80s to late 90s have had BSI couplings between coaches?

Once all 158s have had the BSI replaced by a fixed bar coupler will that mean that they won't be able to stick a driving motor onto the end of another 158 unit?

Not at all, a BSI would just have to be refitted on the inner end of the doner driving motor.

D365

Veteran Member

Nobody has said that all BSI couplers are being replaced... for example Northern will be reforming most of their incoming 150s and 158s into semi-permanent three-car units.

Crossover

Established Member
Not at all, a BSI would just have to be refitted on the inner end of the doner driving motor.

That makes sense as to why when a unit goes out of service for whatever reason, any unaffected coaches can be so quickly remarshalled into another set

scotraildriver

Established Member
Been confirmed the final issue with 478 is with new style auxiliary heaters. Due to transfer to ScotRail in the next few days after fault resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.