• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail will be switching flexi passes (carnets) from paper to smart cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
AFAIAA ScotRail will very shortly be removing the option to buy paper flexi passes (our term for "carnets") and transferring them exclusively to smart.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Good for them. It is a very positive move that should benefit both TOC and honest passenger.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
AFAIAA ScotRail will very shortly be removing the option to buy paper flexi passes (our term for "carnets") and transferring them exclusively to smart.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Let's hope that Scotrail arrange the necessary validity with other operators operating in Scotland on whose services they are also valid, VTEC, VTWC, Caledonian Sleeper for example.

I do hope we don't end up with passengers having less flexibility than they presently enjoy. I know it's the product rather than the medium that counts but most people really don't want the hassle of having to have discussions with TOCs about this while under the threat of prosecution.

Currently I can buy such a Rover 'on demand' from practically any station across Great Britain (in fact I have done this frequently as sometimes it has been worthwhile splitting a longer distance journey. Will it still be possible to do this? Will all stations have Scotrail smart cards, will non-Scotrail stations still sell paper versions or will it become necessary to order several days in advance?

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Good for them. It is a very positive move that should benefit both TOC and honest passenger.

Agree, and here's hoping that carnet products become more widespread with the introduction of smart card technology.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Let's hope that Scotrail arrange the necessary validity with other operators operating in Scotland on whose services they are also valid, VTEC, VTWC, Caledonian Sleeper for example.

I do hope we don't end up with passengers having less flexibility than they presently enjoy. I know it's the product rather than the medium that counts but most people really don't want the hassle of having to have discussions with TOCs about this while under the threat of prosecution.

Currently I can buy such a Rover 'on demand' from practically any station across Great Britain (in fact I have done this frequently as sometimes it has been worthwhile splitting a longer distance journey. Will it still be possible to do this? Will all stations have Scotrail smart cards, will non-Scotrail stations still sell paper versions or will it become necessary to order several days in advance?

I've a feeling that they may be in talks at the moment with several TOCs about accepting their Smart Cards.

Wallsendmag

Established Member

These are Carnets not Rovers btw

JohnR

I've a feeling that they may be in talks at the moment with several TOCs about accepting their Smart Cards.

Talks which have been going on for some years.... yet we are still no closer to acceptance of the smart card on other operators.

JohnR

Yes. I asked ScotRail about this when First had the franchise. Then again when Abellio took over. Then the excuse was we had to wait for the new East Coast franchise. Always an excuse. And we are not any nearer. Otherwise, Virgin and XC would be accepting them.

JohnR

Sorry but I know for a fact that is incorrect you just need to be patient and wait a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What is "incorrect"? that the talks have been going on for years? As I said, First were talking the EC, VWC and XC about it years ago. The smart card is not new.

That we are no nearer? Well, thats absolutely obvious, isnt it, given that none of the other operators are accepting them. Unless you can point to some movement there.

I've been patient for over 4 years now. How long do you think I should wait?

Wallsendmag

Established Member
What is "incorrect"? that the talks have been going on for years? As I said, First were talking the EC, VWC and XC about it years ago. The smart card is not new.

That we are no nearer? Well, thats absolutely obvious, isnt it, given that none of the other operators are accepting them. Unless you can point to some movement there.

I've been patient for over 4 years now. How long do you think I should wait?

The fact that we are no close is incorrect, wait and see

Status
Not open for further replies.