• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

scotrail winter timetable 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I think a lot of Ayr services are currently 2 x 380s, so if these are being halved then there's no real loss as it will in effect be going from 2x380 and one service to 1x380 and two services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class83

Have Scotrail just cut the loco hauled fife circle services? I assumed that there was an intention to replace them with DMUs when more were available, but they seem to have just removed services from the timetable.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I think a lot of Ayr services are currently 2 x 380s, so if these are being halved then there's no real loss as it will in effect be going from 2x380 and one service to 1x380 and two services.

Shorter trains running more frequently - another operation princess? :lol:

Presumably the Paisley Canals diagrams will only need another couple of EMUs

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Isn't Paisley Canal planned to be two 314s off-peak though, with 380s in the peaks?

bAzTNM

Off-topic, but the trains Scotrail use just now for Paisley Canal are just ramshackled beyond belief. Things falling off in front of you on a moving train isn't good. Be glad for the change.

fraser158

Open Train Times seems to show an 0614 Inverness to Kyle and 1005 Kyle to Inverness. I wonder how well used these would be?

Open Train Times seems to show an 0614 Inverness to Kyle and 1005 Kyle to Inverness. I wonder how well used these would be?

Was that not just for when the Stomeferry bypass was blocked, this service got the kids to school. Maybe they have left the path on.

D1009

Established Member
Was that not just for when the Stomeferry bypass was blocked, this service got the kids to school. Maybe they have left the path on.

No, looks like an additional train, 6 days a week.

You can now book a ticket for it on the Scotrail website.

Last edited:
A press released has been published on both scotrail and transport scotland websites highlighting the changes being introduced from the 9th of December. All we need now is the timetables to be published.

Maxfly

No, looks like an additional train, 6 days a week.

You can now book a ticket for it on the Scotrail website.

Apparently it is there just to secure the path, probably be used when Kessock bridge getting repair work done for local services. It was raised by Scotrail staff in Ness and this is what they were told:)

michael769

Established Member
A press released has been published on both scotrail and transport scotland websites highlighting the changes being introduced from the 9th of December. All we need now is the timetables to be published.

Timetables are usually released around the start of November.

route101

Established Member
Off-topic, but the trains Scotrail use just now for Paisley Canal are just ramshackled beyond belief. Things falling off in front of you on a moving train isn't good. Be glad for the change.

FSR 156s are a lot nicer than Northern Rail ones . I find FSR ones in very good condition for a 25 year old train.

michael769

Established Member
FSR 156s are a lot nicer than Northern Rail ones . I find FSR ones in very good condition for a 25 year old train.

Personally I'd sat the 156s are generally pretty good. Yes some (especially the SPT ones) are a bit grubby in the corners and could do with a deep clean, but the seats are in good condition - they are mostly free of vandalism, and they give a decent ride.

They are nothing like as vile as the 150s were just before they were sent south of the border - now they really were ramshackle.

route101

Established Member
Personally I'd sat the 156s are generally pretty good. Yes some (especially the SPT ones) are a bit grubby in the corners and could do with a deep clean, but the seats are in good condition - they are mostly free of vandalism, and they give a decent ride.

They are nothing like as vile as the 150s were just before they were sent south of the border - now they really were ramshackle.

Never got a chance on the SR 15Os .

I prefer the purple interior on the 156s than the SPT Green . Always surprises me for Glasgow that the trains in the most part are free of vandalism.Look at the buses.

michael769

Established Member
I prefer the purple interior on the 156s than the SPT Green . Always surprises me for Glasgow that the trains in the most part are free of vandalism.Look at the buses.

You used to see a fair bit on the SPT units in the past especially tables, seat backs and glass- but it is very rare to see any more than the odd pen mark on a seat back these days

SQUIRE includes fines for vandalism that is not repaired/cleaned off so Scotrail have to be proactive in that regard. The anti-vandal coatings on the glass have made a big difference. It just shows the difference that looking after your fleet properly can make.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
From the ScotRail website, for those who can't find it:

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/new-services-winter-timetable
SR website said:
Rail passengers will benefit from a host of additional services being introduced as part of the new winter timetable announced by ScotRail and Transport Scotland.
The enhanced services will begin from Sunday, December 9 to allow thousands of passengers to enjoy better connectivity and new journey opportunities.
Operated by ScotRail, the new winter timetable will see:
• Earlier and more frequent Sunday trains linking Edinburgh, Glasgow and Ayr
• Improved journey times on Ayrshire and Inverclyde routes complimenting the recently completed Paisley Corridor Infrastructure Improvements. Services increased from four to six per hour between Glasgow and Ayrshire
• A new Sunday service between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh via Shotts
• Extra weekday calls at Portlethen, Laurencekirk, Broughty Ferry and Invergowrie
• Extra calls at Kilmaurs and Dunlop on Glasgow Central – Kilmarnock services
• A new early-morning weekday service from Motherwell to Edinburgh and a late evening service in the opposite direction
• A new weekday service between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh calling at Motherwell, Wishaw, Carluke, Carstairs and Haymarket as part of the EGIP project being introduced and delivered ahead of schedule
• Improved journey times for services between Glasgow and Edinburgh to Inverness as result of new infrastructure works
• Extra trains between Edinburgh and Dunbar on a Saturday.
Transport Minister Keith Brown said: “Rail travel in Scotland is on the rise as more people come to realise the benefits of letting the train take the strain.

“The Scottish Government has an absolute commitment to rail services and to doing all we can to encourage more people on to the trains with all the benefits that entails – less congestion on the roads, a reduction in carbon emissions and increased job and investment opportunities.
“These service enhancements will encourage new passengers to travel by rail for commuting educational and leisure, opportunities and help current passengers to get out earlier, stay out later and get around more frequently.”
The timetable changes announced today will provide additional local calls between Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen.
From September 9, Sunday services between Edinburgh and Glasgow Queen Street will improve from hourly to every half hour in the mornings and late evening. This will continue throughout the winter and in future timetables.
Passengers travelling from Glasgow Central to Ayr will have three trains an hour as opposed to the previous two on weekdays. In addition, a fourth will terminate at Irvine.
Journey time improvements are also being delivered on the Glasgow Central to Ayr, Largs, Ardrossan and Inverclyde routes to Wemyss Bay and Gourock. These timetable changes will deliver improved connections with ferry services.
Four new Saturday services will be introduced between Dunbar and Edinburgh to match the weekday service.
Shotts will see a Sunday service introduced for the first time in many years between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh.
Weekday and Saturday mornings will see a new early morning train from Motherwell to Edinburgh, via Shotts, and a late evening service in the opposite direction, via Carstairs.
The new services between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh via Carstairs and calling at Clydesdale stations are being introduced a year ahead of schedule.
Extra calls at Kilmaurs and Dunlop on Glasgow Central – Kilmarnock services are being introduced to provide passengers at these stations with a more regular service.
Steve Montgomery, ScotRail’s managing director, said: “The new timetable provides real benefits by improving frequency, journey times and connections on routes across the country.
“It underpins our focus on delivering more services and encourages more people than ever to switch to rail.”

The Shotts service doesn't look clockface, more sporadic, but all stations served during the rest of the week are also now served on Sunday, minus Breich. This must be the first Sunday service from West Calder (exclusive) to Holytown for quite a few years! As far as I can see all trains are slow (no semi-fast as per M-Sa).

tbtc

Veteran Member
Cheers for the link Matt :)

Operated by ScotRail, the new winter timetable will see:
• Earlier and more frequent Sunday trains linking Edinburgh, Glasgow and Ayr

It annoys me when TOCs phrase things like this - which I'm sure many people would read as suggesting there are going to be direct trains from Edinburgh to Ayr. I know people want to phrase things to sound most positive, but not when it's going to confuse people!

jazza374

I went up to Mallaig last week and was not really looking forward to five hours each way on a 156. However I got to say that both sets (499 on way up and 447 on way back) were in excellent condition and the big windows really are the best stock to appreciate the West Highland Line in all it's glory

route101

Established Member
I went up to Mallaig last week and was not really looking forward to five hours each way on a 156. However I got to say that both sets (499 on way up and 447 on way back) were in excellent condition and the big windows really are the best stock to appreciate the West Highland Line in all it's glory

Did you go for the day?

I've still to do the line past Fort William.

harz99

They must have been reseated in the 16 months since I moved from one side of Dumfries and Galloway to the other then! I was always complaining to guards about the poor condition of the seat bases, which were often almost devoid of any padding at all.

Luckily most of my travel now is on 185s, which for the most part still have a reasonable level of padding left in their seats, are free of draughts and warm in the winter months, unlike 156s anywhere!!

Status
Not open for further replies.