• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

lxfe_mxtterz

Apologies if this has been brought up already, but I don't really have the time to scan through 500+ posts...

Just trying to book a journey between Glasgow and Edinburgh on the route 900, and I've noticed that Megabus sell tickets for this service, but at a much cheaper price (£3.90, compared to £9.00 on the Scottish Citylink site).

Is there a reason for this?

Tempted to just book with Megabus but don't want to be caught out by any hidden restrictions or similar, if any.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Apologies if this has been brought up already, but I don't really have the time to scan through 500+ posts...

Just trying to book a journey between Glasgow and Edinburgh on the route 900, and I've noticed that Megabus sell tickets for this service, but at a much cheaper price (£3.90, compared to £9.00 on the Scottish Citylink site).

Is there a reason for this?

Tempted to just book with Megabus but don't want to be caught out by any hidden restrictions or similar, if any.
Megabus tickets are valid on booked service only and you must travel bus station to bus station as per your ticket details

TUC

Established Member
Megabus tickets are valid on booked service only and you must travel bus station to bus station as per your ticket details
Why doesn't Citylink also offer the same cheaper tickets directly?

route101

Established Member
I always notice the Glasgow to Dundee prices can be quite a bit more than the Glasgow to Perth Broxden.

Tom1791

Does anyone know what coaches/operators run the various M92 departures since the timetable change? I used to know what coach to expect and I could book accordingly (mainly to avoid the elite-i as I personally find them quite tight for space). As far as I can see it isn't possible to see the coach reg when tracking on bustimes.org?

Volvodart

Established Member
Not a great help, but on the bustimes.org map, you can see the live buses operated by Edinburgh Coach Lines on the M92, which would not be them.

route101

Established Member
Does anyone know what coaches/operators run the various M92 departures since the timetable change? I used to know what coach to expect and I could book accordingly (mainly to avoid the elite-i as I personally find them quite tight for space). As far as I can see it isn't possible to see the coach reg when tracking on bustimes.org?
I saw one of the 65 plate Interdecks on the M92 few days ago. I have also seen bigger Plaxtons on the route too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volvodart

Established Member
Free Coach Travel!

https://www.citylink.co.uk/free-travel-offer/

To celebrate the launch of our new Saltire Cross timetable, we're giving you a free trip on us!

On Saturday, 26 November, we're giving away 10,000 free tickets to travel anywhere on our Saltire Cross network (services from Glasgow and Edinburgh to Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen, and Inverness. We hope this offer will help people escape the stresses of the ongoing cost of living crisis, visit family and friends, or just enjoy some well-earned me time.

Now is the time to discover something new...

Our extensive Saltire Cross network includes travelling to some of Scotland's most historic cities - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen, and Inverness, all of which are steeped in their own history and culture, just waiting to be explored. Each city is famous in its own right - It's up to you where you choose to explore.

Why not visit Glasgow? It's a city famous for its lively nightlife, music scene, museums, and art galleries, to name a few. Or Edinburgh, you can't go wrong with a visit to the capital! Stroll along the Royal Mile, a succession of streets running through the heart of the Old Town, connecting Edinburgh Castle. Oh, and Edinburgh has a shopping scene you just can't miss!

Stirling is a fascinating and historic city with loads of attractions perfect for all ages. Explore the stunning Stirling Castle or the Wallace Monument for a truly historical day out. For a more scenic trip, choose to visit 'The Fair City' of Perth. Its historic palace, delicious food scene, stunning landscapes, and natural beauty will leave you wanting more!

Explore the 'City of Discovery', Dundee, and climb aboard the RRS Discovery Point where you can learn all about Robert Falcon Scott on his first journey to the Antarctic - It's an interesting topic and perfect for all ages. You can't visit Dundee without seeing the stunning and impressive V&A, Scotland's first design museum - the architecture of the building alone will leave you in awe.

The 'Granite city', Aberdeen, is famous for its enduring grey-stone buildings, harbour, maritime museum, and art gallery - They're all worth a visit. We can't finish without a mention of Scotland's largest city, the cultural capital of Inverness! Home to the Loch Ness Monster, beautiful views, historic castles, and incredible mountains.

Where will your FREE ticket take you?

Tickets will go fast - book your seat now so you don't miss out!

The Saltire Cross network offers hourly services between Glasgow and Edinburgh to Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness.

How to book

To book your tickets, go to the Journey Planner and enter your journey details. There is no booking fee though delivery charges may apply (see terms & conditions).

-----------
18 November 2022:-
I see Parks Gold Panoramas are having the fronts painted yellow and rebranded into the 6 Cities livery.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Free Coach Travel!

https://www.citylink.co.uk/free-travel-offer/

-----------
18 November 2022:-
I see Parks Gold Panoramas are having the fronts painted yellow and rebranded into the 6 Cities livery.
That is a rail strike day as well!

Seen a nice mix of coaches on the M8 and M9 today from Megabus branded vanhools to ex National Express Levante. I thought the levantes were a short term loan

Volvodart

Established Member
I presume it is Perth that has a new tri-axle Elite 54366 (SJ72 HNO) branded connecting Scotland, not 6 cities.

I presume it is Perth that has a new tri-axle Elite 54366 (SJ72 HNO) branded connecting Scotland, not 6 cities.

I believe there is to be three - others have said more than three. SJ72HNO is in service, meanwhile HNP & HNR are on buslistsontheweb without an owner.

I believe there is to be three - others have said more than three. SJ72HNO is in service, meanwhile HNP & HNR are on buslistsontheweb without an owner.
It's good that Citylink are buying new vehicles but I can't help but be a bit disappointed that they're not going for a full double-decker fleet. It would help provide consistency for passengers and would allow them to cope much better on railway strike days.

route101

Established Member
It's good that Citylink are buying new vehicles but I can't help but be a bit disappointed that they're not going for a full double-decker fleet. It would help provide consistency for passengers and would allow them to cope much better on railway strike days.
I am surprised they are still receiving these elites, I thought they would go for more of the double deckers. Compared to National Express there is no standard fleet.

I am surprised they are still receiving these elites, I thought they would go for more of the double deckers. Compared to National Express there is no standard fleet.

Panoramas 50446-50448 have been transferred to Oxford Tube. They have been seen in debranded yellow/blue in Oxford Depot.
A backwards step in my book. I would have expected a full double decker fleet.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Panoramas 50446-50448 have been transferred to Oxford Tube. They have been seen in debranded yellow/blue in Oxford Depot.
It probably is a backwards step but I’d assume it’s because Oxford was meant to get these in the first place but they didn’t due to a reduced timetable. Perhaps this has now increased to a point where Oxford now require these, and that’s why Perth has gained some new Elites. Although I was told the Elites were to replace 50452-50454 which have moved to Inverness.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
From what I gather Oxford tube is back to very heavy loadings again so probably needed those vehicles after all. I wonder if we'll see any significant new orders next year or just a trickle of vehicles here and there

route101

Established Member
From what I gather Oxford tube is back to very heavy loadings again so probably needed those vehicles after all. I wonder if we'll see any significant new orders next year or just a trickle of vehicles here and there
The West Coast Motors Irizars are getting on a bit. I wonder if they will get replaced.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I doubt that some routes require deckers though. Nice to have but not needed. The Saltire Network though probably needs the larger buses.

Could more of the old Oxford Atromegas not head north? I know some already have but purely based off fleet lists, a good few seem to still be in Oxford.

cnjb8

Established Member
I doubt that some routes require deckers though. Nice to have but not needed. The Saltire Network though probably needs the larger buses.

Could more of the old Oxford Atromegas not head north? I know some already have but purely based off fleet lists, a good few seem to still be in Oxford.
Earlier this year, some of the Astromegas actually went back to Oxford from Perth for to cover for the heavy loadings and to make sure all Tube vehicles were Euro 6

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The new Elites are primarily intended for the M8 which given it's recent doubling in frequency doesn't really warrant the use of nearly new Panoramas.

BobbyBKinross

Does anyone know how many Panoramas will be heading to the Tube? Also, are there any more buses on order for Citylink that are due for delivery next year?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Does anyone know how many Panorama's will be heading to the Tube. Also are there any more buses on order for Citylink that are due for delivery next year?
I’ve heard that all of the 21 plates are eventually to move, although I’m unsure how the Inverness examples would be able to.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Wouldn't surprise me if if we see a few new ones up here as we go into next summers tourist season, they must surely have made money this year ear both from the high numbers of visitors returning after the pandemic and the ongoing carnage on the railway

BobbyBKinross

I’ve heard that all of the 21 plates are eventually to move, although I’m unsure how the Inverness examples would be able to.
I heard so too. That's a lot of buses that will be lost and surely there must be new Panoramas on order unless Citylink manage to source some Astromegas because if they don't then I can forsee some capacity issues. Services on Weekends and Friday nights are almost always full leaving Edinburgh and that's with an improved timetable!

cnjb8

Established Member
I heard so too. That's a lot of buses that will be lost and surely there must be new Panorama's on order unless Citylink manage to source some Astromega's because if they don't then I can forsee some capacity issues. Services on Weekends and Friday nights are almost always full leaving Edinburgh and that's with an improved timetable!
Some Astromegas will be displaced from Oxford by the Panoramas.