• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I stay not too far from the Edinburgh Coach Lines garage. I think they've repainted most of their old Irizar Citylink Gold coaches, bar one. They've got an old Plaxton Elite that I referenced above.

I would think the Panoramas belong to Park's or Stagecoach as I don't think ECL's workshop can accommodate deckers, again a rumour.

That would be good; didn't Lothian run that for a spell?

OIG1543 is a Plaxton Panther 2.

Wasn't 901 also used by Citylink before McGill's nicked the route?

PM0001031 belongs to Citylink
Right - cheers.

duffers2324

I really do hope this goes ahead, i have been saying for a while there needs to be a bus back out between Glasgow and Livingston again, the train as good as it is, is not sited well in Livingston meaning either a long walk from each station to the centre or getting a bus which then adds to the fare payed just to get out there. It will be interesting to see how frequent it might be and how it compares in price to the train.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It'll certainly be better than having to get the X24/X27 to Dunfermline to try and time the X51 to Livingston anyway. I quite like Livingston town centre so I will definitely use it as some point if it's frequent enough.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The 900’s in the evening, overnight and early into the next morning already serve Deer Park, could this just be a daytime addition to that? Does make you think if the AIR is staying. Although the route does have quite prominent branding, and has an allocation of bespoke vehicles to it too. I’d therefore be surprised (and probably disappointed) if the AIR was being turned into this.

I agree with @Spsf3232 that these could well just be placing journeys though.

‘Via Livingston’ really could be anything. I’d say it’s quite vague. Is it the Town Centre? Is it somewhere outside of the Town Centre such as Deans, or St John’s Hospital? Or is it somewhere that is near a slip road off the M8 - such as Deer Park? We shall have to wait and see.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I’m surprised at the success of AIR, but credit to Citylink for finding a niche market (given that they don’t have a geographic “core” so have to be careful not to tread on the toes of other operators)

The idea of serving Livingston makes some sense though. Whilst nobody welcomes their journey getting slower, the “direct coach” aspect of AIR is probably more important to its passengers than the speed, so if you can additionally serve the Glasgow to West Lothian link dropped by First and Stagecoach (with only a minimal diversion of your established service) then good luck to them

cammyeaston

I’m surprised at the success of AIR, but credit to Citylink for finding a niche market (given that they don’t have a geographic “core” so have to be careful not to tread on the toes of other operators)

The idea of serving Livingston makes some sense though. Whilst nobody welcomes their journey getting slower, the “direct coach” aspect of AIR is probably more important to its passengers than the speed, so if you can additionally serve the Glasgow to West Lothian link dropped by First and Stagecoach (with only a minimal diversion of your established service) then good luck to them
Also has the added benefit of restoring a link from Livingston to the Airport, not enjoyed since the loss of the 600.

duffers2324

I am starting to get the feeling that this maybe very well AIR service being rerouted to serve Deer Park and then continue to the Airport and vice versa, the only reason i say that is that having looked at the 900 timetable again, the night time journeys that go into Deer park also call at the Airport before hand and on the return journey so basically giving the Airport to Glasgow Service a 24 hr service as well as the main (core) Edinburgh to Glasgow service itself so i think this maybe just a daytime variation so to speak: https://www.citylink.co.uk/media/odoig3ca/route-900-tt-web-oct22.pdf

Tartanarmy85

I am starting to get the feeling that this maybe very well AIR service being rerouted to serve Deer Park and then continue to the Airport and vice versa, the only reason i say that is that having looked at the 900 timetable again, the night time journeys that go into Deer park also call at the Airport before hand and on the return journey so basically giving the Airport to Glasgow Service a 24 hr service as well as the main (core) Edinburgh to Glasgow service itself so i think this maybe just a daytime variation so to speak: https://www.citylink.co.uk/media/odoig3ca/route-900-tt-web-oct22.pdf
I don't think this will be true due to the livery and it wouldn't leave turn around time at the Airport.

Last edited by a moderator:

freddiem

The 900’s in the evening, overnight and early into the next morning already serve Deer Park, could this just be a daytime addition to that? Does make you think if the AIR is staying. Although the route does have quite prominent branding, and has an allocation of bespoke vehicles to it too. I’d therefore be surprised (and probably disappointed) if the AIR was being turned into this.

I agree with @Spsf3232 that these could well just be placing journeys though.

‘Via Livingston’ really could be anything. I’d say it’s quite vague. Is it the Town Centre? Is it somewhere outside of the Town Centre such as Deans, or St John’s Hospital? Or is it somewhere that is near a slip road off the M8 - such as Deer Park? We shall have to wait and see.
I agree it seems vague, hoping it serves a key location of the town (St John's, or the Centre) rather than some slightly random location eg Deer Park, however is it possible it may serve the 3 FastLink stops, go round the junction at Howden/Craigshill then return back up the same way, thereby serving all the little Park and Ride sites located near to the FastLink

This was posted on Facebook. It looks like the service will be going through Coatbridge and Airdrie.

***Citylink 902***

Some good news this evening! Citylink has approached the Council with intent to register a new service between Glasgow and Edinburgh Airport from 6th March 2023. I’m delighted to hear this as I’ve had many constituents get in touch about the need for a bus link from
Glasgow<->Edinburgh.

The route will be as follows:

Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station -> Edinburgh Airport via Coatbridge, Airdrie, Harthill Services, Heartlands Services & Livingston Centre.

️ Service will operate 0300-2100 Monday to Sunday. Frequency hourly between 0700 and 2100.

overthewater

Established Member
Well, they're going after a lot of new links here and playing the game of join the dots, ie passengers from Monklands to Livingston centre and Airport. Livingston to Glasgow City Centre. It would seem it will go along M8 to Baillieston jct, along Glasgow Road to Coatbridge, Airdrie, then must be going down to Chapelhall.

route101

Established Member
Will try this service out when it starts. Interesting it serves Airdrie and Coatbridge.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Will try this service out when it starts. Interesting it serves Airdrie and Coatbridge.
At least it'll be quicker than when the 2 went there from the City Centre. When I last used it before First axed it, I was an hour and 20 minutes from Coatbridge to Hope Street just because of a little bit of traffic. Residents of those areas moaned when First axed the 2 from there. Time for them to use this or lose it. I know I will certainly use it for Livingston.

route101

Established Member
At least it'll be quicker than when the 2 went there from the City Centre. When I last used it before First axed it, I was an hour and 20 minutes from Coatbridge to Hope Street just because of a little bit of traffic. Residents of those areas moaned when First axed the 2 from there. Time for them to use this or lose it. I know I will certainly use it for Livingston.
I wonder how much custom they will get from Monklands to Glasgow, I recall that strange Arriva coach service around 16 years ago that served Monklands.

LiviCrazy

21:00 seems an early finish and potentially missing out on Glasgow’s live music scene unless they intend to reroute the 900 in the evenings.

I would have suggested running it later and even having 2 or 3 journeys running from SEC between 22:00 and midnight.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wonder how much custom they will get from Monklands to Glasgow, I recall that strange Arriva coach service around 16 years ago that served Monklands.
It might get some just because of the new link to the centre of Livingston which the train doesn't provide given how bad the positioning of the two stations is in Livingston and I see it being a preference for some people because it's something new. It's keeping it well used that will be the challenge.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The 902 not going to Edinburgh City Centre makes sense now as Harthill Services will provide an easy connection with the 900. A very interesting move that covers a lot of presently missing links. If word gets out i can see it being a popular service.

overthewater

Established Member
The 902 not going to Edinburgh City Centre makes sense now as Harthill Services will provide an easy connection with the 900. A very interesting move that covers a lot of presently missing links. If word gets out i can see it being a popular service.

Ah but will there be room for said passengers? 900 bad enough at times. Mind you, it could provide Flixbus with a new line of passengers if this is true.

route101

Established Member
Noticed a West Coast Motors Irizar in Edinburgh to form the 978 to Oban. On closer inspection the coach has 5 abreast seating. I don't fancy that on a busy service.

Ah but will there be room for said passengers? 900 bad enough at times. Mind you, it could provide Flixbus with a new line of passengers if this is true.
Not sure how that will help Flixbus?

overthewater

Established Member
Noticed a West Coast Motors Irizar in Edinburgh to form the 978 to Oban. On closer inspection the coach has 5 abreast seating. I don't fancy that on a busy service.

Not sure how that will help Flixbus?
If 902 takes passengers from the Monklands area to Harthill, and if the 900 is full what are passengers going to do?

Spsf3232

If 902 takes passengers from the Monklands area to Harthill, and if the 900 is full what are passengers going to do?
Citylink always try and keep some spare seats at Glasgow for the Baillieston and Harthill stops. They won't completely fill the bus, the same should in theory be done at Edinburgh bus station for Edinburgh street stops.

route101

Established Member
People do prebook the 900 but I reckon most use it as a turn up and go service. I never pre book it. I used to buy a day return on the M9 but the longer services sell out now.

Tartanarmy85

People do prebook the 900 but I reckon most use it as a turn up and go service. I never pre book it. I used to buy a day return on the M9 but the longer services sell out now.
Does anyone know the full route of the 902 yet?