• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Independence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

d9009alycidon

Forget Indyref II, the COVID-19 pandemic has pushed any prospect of that way into the distance, and before the last remnant of the lockdown is removed the SNP will face some really interesting times. The tabloid newspapers in Scotland are already salivating at the prospect of a forthcoming book by Alex Salmond setting out his side of the story regarding the allegations of sexual misconduct and he is expected to present counter allegations that the whole thing was a fabrication created at a high level within the current party leadership to prevent him getting back into front line politics. Some correspondents are already predicting that the fallout from this book could lead to a major split in the Nationalist movement. As a Scot and a one time SNP supporter I actually look forward to that, as this bunch couldn't run the proverbial p155 up in a brewery.
The former depute leader Jim Sillars is quoted as saying "I see a need for a complete clear-out of the highest levels of the party before it is again fit to lead. “The cult of personality, the obsessive desire of leaders for complete control of the membership and parliamentarians, the growth of a clique of acolytes, one-person rule - there has been a rot growing at the heart of this organisation for years.”
There is also the prospect of a second police inquiry into the actions of various members of the SNP that led to the accusations against Salmond. I hope wee Nanny McSturgeon is quaking in her high heels

najaB

Veteran Member
The former depute leader Jim Sillars is quoted as saying "I see a need for a complete clear-out of the highest levels of the party before it is again fit to lead. “The cult of personality, the obsessive desire of leaders for complete control of the membership and parliamentarians, the growth of a clique of acolytes, one-person rule - there has been a rot growing at the heart of this organisation for years.”
Sadly, those words apply equally to the Labour party - both in Scotland and UK-wide.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Forget Indyref II, the COVID-19 pandemic has pushed any prospect of that way into the distance, and before the last remnant of the lockdown is removed the SNP will face some really interesting times. The tabloid newspapers in Scotland are already salivating at the prospect of a forthcoming book by Alex Salmond setting out his side of the story regarding the allegations of sexual misconduct and he is expected to present counter allegations that the whole thing was a fabrication created at a high level within the current party leadership to prevent him getting back into front line politics. Some correspondents are already predicting that the fallout from this book could lead to a major split in the Nationalist movement. As a Scot and a one time SNP supporter I actually look forward to that, as this bunch couldn't run the proverbial p155 up in a brewery.
There is also the prospect of a second police inquiry into the actions of various members of the SNP that led to the accusations against Salmond. I hope wee Nanny McSturgeon is quaking in her high heels

Well as a Londoner and a Unionist I think this pandemic will do the reverse. It has given Sturgeon the chance to look good and Presedential-especially when she debriefs COBRA meetings before the PM does. We'll have too see. I'm sure shes got the 2021 vote in the bag now-but weather or not that translates into a vote for succession remains to be seen.

Highland37

Established Member
It wouldn't need confirmation from anyone other than itself (Westminster). There is no structure to consult or pool decision making.

Highland37

Established Member

No one pays any attention to Jim Sillars in the real world. The reality is that no Scottish party controls when it will be as we voted in 2014 to keep that power in London. Scotland doesn't control Scotland.

najaB

Veteran Member
It depends though, seeing as we're having a hard Brexit i.e not in the single market or customs union, Scotland if it rejoins the EU would face a hard border with England which could reduce travel demand.
It depends on if an independent Scotland would prefer the border to be between Scotland and rUK or in the North Sea. I suspect the choice would be the latter.

Highland37

Established Member
Yes I think you are right but it's entirely England's decision. If an independent Scotland is in the EU, most likely I think, then it would be up to England to decide what sort of border to have. This very issue appears fairly hard to solve from the UK end re NI/ROI.

najaB

Veteran Member
Yes I think you are right but it's entirely England's decision. If an independent Scotland is in the EU, most likely I think, then it would be up to England to decide what sort of border to have.
I don't think it would be entirely up to England. England can decide what kind of border it wants to operate for goods entering and leaving England but it would be up to Scotland to decide what border it wants for goods entering and leaving Scotland. I suspect that the most pragmatic approach would be taken - open border with England and checks for anything destined for or leaving the EU, either through England or via the North Sea. (Via England will happen by default since there will need to be border checks across The Channel if England isn't in the Customs Union).

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes I think you are right but it's entirely England's decision. If an independent Scotland is in the EU, most likely I think, then it would be up to England to decide what sort of border to have. This very issue appears fairly hard to solve from the UK end re NI/ROI.

I think we need to deport you to Orkney or Shetland where you will find they no more want to be ruled from Edinburgh than London !!

Highland37

Established Member
I think we need to deport you to Orkney or Shetland where you will find they no more want to be ruled from Edinburgh than London !!

You have missed the point. Concepts of "rule" show a colonial attitude.

Highland37

Established Member
I don't think it would be entirely up to England. England can decide what kind of border it wants to operate for goods entering and leaving England but it would be up to Scotland to decide what border it wants for goods entering and leaving Scotland. I suspect that the most pragmatic approach would be taken - open border with England and checks for anything destined for or leaving the EU, either through England or via the North Sea. (Via England will happen by default since there will need to be border checks across The Channel if England isn't in the Customs Union).

You are probably right. I see the respect agenda was at work again today over the covid messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.